• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Laser sights?

Captain Nemo

In my opinion laser sights are fine, as long as they aren't being used as a crutch. By that I mean as a substitute for good marksmanship and practice. They are an electronic device and as such can fail at the most critical time of need. If a person practices until they have good gun control basics and reasonable proficiency, in other words crucial "fall back" skills, laser sights can be a good aid. They won't make you an instant "Wild Bill Hickock'.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Legal, but for the most part, useful under certain circumstance only. I've seen them slow people down who were trying to acquire a view of the dot, when a flash sight picture or point shooting provided adequate accuracy and greater speed. They do have a potential benefit when shooting from an unusual position, for example if you've been pushed to the ground and cannot assume anything resembling a conventional shooting stance.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
The OP was, "Are laser sights legal in WI?"

§ 941.299 Restrictions on the use of laser pointers.
(1) In this section:
[ ... ]
(b) “Laser pointer” means a hand−held device that uses light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation to emit a beam of light that is visible to the human eye.
[ ... ]
(2) No person may do any of the following:
[ ... ]
(b) Intentionally and for no legitimate purpose direct a beam of light from a laser pointer at any part of the body of any human being.
(c) Intentionally direct a beam of light from a laser pointer in a manner that could reasonably be expected to alarm, intimidate, threaten or terrify another person.
(d) Intentionally direct a beam of light from a laser pointer in a manner that, under the circumstances, tends to disrupt any public or private event or create or provoke a disturbance.
[ ... ]
History: 1999 a. 157; 2007 a. 27.

To preempt the quibblers, the definition clearly includes "laser sights", handheld gun pointing aids.

PT111

WOW - On my next visit to WI I will be sure to leave the one on my keychain at home. Under those laws I am sure I could have been arrested several times but it sure was fun watching that 9-month-old baby trying to pick up the light from the sidewalk. (Long story) His parents almost rolled over laughing at him. I gave one to a friend and his wife threaten to beat me up after he was shining it at the choir during the preacher's sermon.

How about using one to aggravate the cat or dog, is that illegal?

AaronS

Legal, but for the most part, useful under certain circumstance only. I've seen them slow people down who were trying to acquire a view of the dot, when a flash sight picture or point shooting provided adequate accuracy and greater speed. They do have a potential benefit when shooting from an unusual position, for example if you've been pushed to the ground and cannot assume anything resembling a conventional shooting stance.

You bring up a good point. I have laser grips on my .38 snub, and my .45 1911. The only time I could ever see them being of any real use is if I was unable to get a good (fast) sight. For super fast, from the hip shooting, the laser might be a good thing to have. Although with practice, hip shooting can be learned very well with out the laser aid.
I keep my lasers sighted in at 20 feet. Any further, and I can use my real sights. Also, remember, for the most part a laser sight will only work at one range. For me if I shoot a target at 10 feet, my rounds land high. At the same time, at 50 feet, I am low. At 20, it is right on the mark...