Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Avoiding LEO Contact

  1. #1
    Regular Member DCKilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wet Side, WA
    Posts
    527

    Avoiding LEO Contact

    Do you avoid LEO contact? If there is a police cruiser sitting outside of Wendy's, do you stop and eat or move onto the next restaurant? Let's say you're in Walmart and you spot a LEO a couple of aisles down. Do you briskly walk the other direction? Do you make first contact?

  2. #2
    Regular Member Publius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northern California Now NH soon
    Posts
    67
    I avoid LEO contact, but I do not run from it. As uncomfortable as LEO encounters can be I will not allow them to significantly interfere with my rights.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Harrah, Oklahoma
    Posts
    769
    I pay no attention to them and continue on with my business.

  4. #4
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    I act no different when encountering them while armed than I do when unarmed.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    74
    I do not seek out contact for its own sake, but I don't let the presence or absence of law enforcement influence my daily activities when armed or otherwise.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193
    I am a law abiding citizen. From 1996 until 2006 I carried a concealed weapon.

    My most recent traffic citation was in 1977, before it was legal to be armed in my state of residence at that time.

    Since arming myself, I have had one incident in traffic while I was armed that ended with a LEO's involvement. In that incident I did not have to identify myself or notify that I was armed, though that was required in specific circumstances not present.

    I am amazed by the bathetic[sic] tolerance of scofflaws.

  7. #7
    Regular Member SFCRetired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,770
    I smile, say, "How're you doing?", just like I do with any other person I cross paths with. I usually get a, "Great! How about you?" or some such. Only once did I get a double-take (not in Montgomery, AL) and even then, the LEO's smile didn't waver.

  8. #8
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    I act no different when encountering them while armed than I do when unarmed.
    ^^^This^^^
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Don't seek 'em out. Don't avoid 'em.

    They are people just like us. Most have good intentions. A few have bad. I am amply prepared to deal with those with bad intentions, but I assume they have good.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    The only thing I do differently when entering a business where I know there are LEOs present is activate my voice recorder...

    Just in case...

    But I've never had so much as a double-take here in NC or in VA either, and I FREQUENTLY find myself standing in line in convenience stores or walking through parking lots or walking down the sidewalk where there are LEOs present. If anything, I get asked what I'm carrying, and told that they wished MORE law-abiding people would OC.

    LEOs are pretty cool here "down east", for the most part.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  11. #11
    Regular Member Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Rocky River, OH, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,086
    I have no desire to interact with law enforcement, so I avoid doing things which would bring about official interactions, such as speeding, drunk driving, etc.

    I know my rights and how to protect them in an involuntary police encounter.

    Police are mostly irrelevant to my life so I mostly ignore them.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    The only thing I do differently when entering a business where I know there are LEOs present is activate my voice recorder...

    Just in case...

    But I've never had so much as a double-take here in NC or in VA either, and I FREQUENTLY find myself standing in line in convenience stores or walking through parking lots or walking down the sidewalk where there are LEOs present. If anything, I get asked what I'm carrying, and told that they wished MORE law-abiding people would OC.

    LEOs are pretty cool here "down east", for the most part.
    THIS.....I dont avoid them but it only takes one to ruin your day or the next couple months.

  13. #13
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990

    No change.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    I act no different when encountering them while armed than I do when unarmed.
    Since I'm not doing anything illegal, I just keep doing what I was doing. Also what are you doing unarmed? (Just kidding)
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  14. #14
    Regular Member HeroHog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by chewy352 View Post
    i pay no attention to them and continue on with my business.
    Quote Originally Posted by southernboy
    i act no different when encountering them while armed than i do when unarmed.
    ^^^those^^^
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

    I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

    NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

    "Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

  15. #15
    Regular Member Fuller Malarkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Cadre
    Posts
    1,077
    Late yesterday afternoon, I approached a four way intersection near Winchester, VA. I needed gasoline and a cuppa. There were three corners of the intersection with gasoline / convenience stores. The largest, easiest to assess and most appealing store had a county mounty and a state trooper vehicles sitting in front of it. I opted for the farthest store to limit any chance of drama. I was tired, cold and on a motorcycle. Some days I just like some solitude. I'd had a good day of it. I was too far from home, with too little to gain to risk a trip to the local poky for contempt of cop. The decision making process took about 1.3 seconds. Had I only had the one choice, the store the cops were at, I imagine I would have got gasoline there, skipped the coffee and sandwich, and been out of there ASAP. Some days its just OK to let sleeping dogs lie.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    330
    I have never prompted a conversation with an officer unless it was unavoidable. I don't think I should have to talk to an officer just because he has a badge. I treat him like I treat anyone else I would run into in any given situation. Not long ago I was having lunch with my mom and sister at Jason's deli. State trooper comes in and sits behind me. From his position he had an unobstructed view of my firearm but never said a word. On my way out, trooper on my strong side, we made eye contact and I gave him a friendly nod but that was it. We ate and left. Total time with officer behind me, 30 minutes. Go about your business and be aware of your surroundings. Don't be affraid or nervous because you are more likely to draw attention to yourself.

  17. #17
    Regular Member me812's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    federally occupied Arizona
    Posts
    216
    Do you avoid LEO contact?

    No. Here in Arizona, OC is quite simply a non-issue. There's no reason to avoid LE.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Malarkey View Post
    Late yesterday afternoon, I approached a four way intersection near Winchester, VA. I needed gasoline and a cuppa. There were three corners of the intersection with gasoline / convenience stores. The largest, easiest to assess and most appealing store had a county mounty and a state trooper vehicles sitting in front of it. I opted for the farthest store to limit any chance of drama. I was tired, cold and on a motorcycle. Some days I just like some solitude. I'd had a good day of it. I was too far from home, with too little to gain to risk a trip to the local poky for contempt of cop. The decision making process took about 1.3 seconds. Had I only had the one choice, the store the cops were at, I imagine I would have got gasoline there, skipped the coffee and sandwich, and been out of there ASAP. Some days its just OK to let sleeping dogs lie.
    That is really a shame. A cop is nothing more to me than a guy wearing overalls. Going about my lawful business, I'd avoid neither...nor let either interrupt my commerce.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    That is really a shame. A cop is nothing more to me than a guy wearing overalls. Going about my lawful business, I'd avoid neither...nor let either interrupt my commerce.
    If we allow a few rogue cops to change our lawful behavior, then we are not free. Until an actual encounter occurs, my behavior in the presence of LEOs is the same as when they are nowhere in the area.

  20. #20
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    958
    Quote Originally Posted by me812 View Post
    Do you avoid LEO contact?

    No. Here in Arizona, OC is quite simply a non-issue. There's no reason to avoid LE.
    I don't avoid them in Tucson, however, sometimes I'll run into a real friendly LEO who wants to discuss guns and ammo and best place to shoot, etc, etc, etc...

  21. #21
    Regular Member Fuller Malarkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Cadre
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    That is really a shame. A cop is nothing more to me than a guy wearing overalls. Going about my lawful business, I'd avoid neither...nor let either interrupt my commerce.
    In my neck of the woods, they don't wear coveralls. Most around this area do wear badges, with guns and handcuffs on a utility belt. This place, while about an hour from the nations capitol, is as country as a chicken coop. MWAG walks in, he will be noticed. As I said, I was tired, cold and trying to avoid drama. So I turned right.

    If there was any shame, it is in that I can not trust that law enforcement will respect me as a citizen, and all the rights that go with it. And that shame is not on me.

    While on a motorcycle, there are times I without question have the right of way. The laws are written as such. If I proceeded as if that right of way would be respected each and every time I had the right of way, I would have been squished flatter than a June Bug any number of times in the past 40 or so years. With over 350,000 miles on motorcycles, I have learned to proceed with a way out. That gets applied to other areas of my life, too.

  22. #22
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990

    Washington State

    About a week ago a Sheriff officer hasseled one of our OC buddies for his ID, and he finally gave in when 3 more LEO's came to his "aid". So to show our support for him we went to the same Starbucks where the incident took place. The same LEO that hassled him sat in the coffeshop while about 30 of us "gun nuts" had coffee with our "defective" guns. Then a uniformed LEO came and parked in the parking lot for 45 mins and never got out. Any way here is a link:

    http://www.king5.com/news/local/Gun-...104218483.html

    Also see WA board for more.

    We just have to stand our ground and be ready to support our fellow OC'ers when in need. Like we say in the Army, "Leave no fallen comrade behind."
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  23. #23
    Regular Member tletourneau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Greater Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    72
    No change for me.
    Thanks,

    Tom

    ----------------------------------
    Springfield XD-40 Service
    Taurus PT-111 Pro (3rd Gen)
    Desert Eagle .50AE Mark VII

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    About a week ago a Sheriff officer hasseled one of our OC buddies for his ID, and he finally gave in when 3 more LEO's came to his "aid". So to show our support for him we went to the same Starbucks where the incident took place. The same LEO that hassled him sat in the coffeshop while about 30 of us "gun nuts" had coffee with our "defective" guns. Then a uniformed LEO came and parked in the parking lot for 45 mins and never got out. Any way here is a link:

    http://www.king5.com/news/local/Gun-...104218483.html

    Also see WA board for more.

    We just have to stand our ground and be ready to support our fellow OC'ers when in need. Like we say in the Army, "Leave no fallen comrade behind."
    Deputies did not detain him.
    Of course they detained him. Detained does not mean arrested. It means he was not free to leave. They kept him from leaving until his showed his ID. That is detention.

    We understand the law, we understand their rights, but if they're carrying guns around, there's a strong possibility that somebody is going to come talk to them.
    No, they don't. If they did, they'd know that they can try to talk to anyone they want to. However, that person does not have to stay and does not have to respond unless the LEO has RAS of a crime and is detaining for investigation of that crime. Courts have repeatedly established that, where OC is unrestricted, OC, in and of itself, is not RAS.

    Reporters need to get it right.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Renton, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,201
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Of course they detained him. Detained does not mean arrested. It means he was not free to leave. They kept him from leaving until his showed his ID. That is detention.



    No, they don't. If they did, they'd know that they can try to talk to anyone they want to. However, that person does not have to stay and does not have to respond unless the LEO has RAS of a crime and is detaining for investigation of that crime. Courts have repeatedly established that, where OC is unrestricted, OC, in and of itself, is not RAS.

    Reporters need to get it right.

    That wasn't a reporter. The person who said " we know their rights, etc. was Ed Troyer, spokesperson for Pierce County Sheriff's Dept. They walked all over Mr. Brewster's rights. Yes, they did detain him, illegally, and said it was legal.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead


    Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •