• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Avoiding LEO Contact

DCKilla

Do you avoid LEO contact? If there is a police cruiser sitting outside of Wendy's, do you stop and eat or move onto the next restaurant? Let's say you're in Walmart and you spot a LEO a couple of aisles down. Do you briskly walk the other direction? Do you make first contact?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
I am a law abiding citizen. From 1996 until 2006 I carried a concealed weapon.

My most recent traffic citation was in 1977, before it was legal to be armed in my state of residence at that time.

Since arming myself, I have had one incident in traffic while I was armed that ended with a LEO's involvement. In that incident I did not have to identify myself or notify that I was armed, though that was required in specific circumstances not present.

I am amazed by the bathetic[sic] tolerance of scofflaws.

SFCRetired

I smile, say, "How're you doing?", just like I do with any other person I cross paths with. I usually get a, "Great! How about you?" or some such. Only once did I get a double-take (not in Montgomery, AL) and even then, the LEO's smile didn't waver.

eye95

Don't seek 'em out. Don't avoid 'em.

They are people just like us. Most have good intentions. A few have bad. I am amply prepared to deal with those with bad intentions, but I assume they have good.

Dreamer

The only thing I do differently when entering a business where I know there are LEOs present is activate my voice recorder...

Just in case... :uhoh:

But I've never had so much as a double-take here in NC or in VA either, and I FREQUENTLY find myself standing in line in convenience stores or walking through parking lots or walking down the sidewalk where there are LEOs present. If anything, I get asked what I'm carrying, and told that they wished MORE law-abiding people would OC.

LEOs are pretty cool here "down east", for the most part.

Deanimator

I have no desire to interact with law enforcement, so I avoid doing things which would bring about official interactions, such as speeding, drunk driving, etc.

I know my rights and how to protect them in an involuntary police encounter.

Police are mostly irrelevant to my life so I mostly ignore them.

zack991

The only thing I do differently when entering a business where I know there are LEOs present is activate my voice recorder...

Just in case... :uhoh:

But I've never had so much as a double-take here in NC or in VA either, and I FREQUENTLY find myself standing in line in convenience stores or walking through parking lots or walking down the sidewalk where there are LEOs present. If anything, I get asked what I'm carrying, and told that they wished MORE law-abiding people would OC.

LEOs are pretty cool here "down east", for the most part.
THIS.....I dont avoid them but it only takes one to ruin your day or the next couple months.

Fuller Malarkey

Late yesterday afternoon, I approached a four way intersection near Winchester, VA. I needed gasoline and a cuppa. There were three corners of the intersection with gasoline / convenience stores. The largest, easiest to assess and most appealing store had a county mounty and a state trooper vehicles sitting in front of it. I opted for the farthest store to limit any chance of drama. I was tired, cold and on a motorcycle. Some days I just like some solitude. I'd had a good day of it. I was too far from home, with too little to gain to risk a trip to the local poky for contempt of cop. The decision making process took about 1.3 seconds. Had I only had the one choice, the store the cops were at, I imagine I would have got gasoline there, skipped the coffee and sandwich, and been out of there ASAP. Some days its just OK to let sleeping dogs lie.

rmansu2

I have never prompted a conversation with an officer unless it was unavoidable. I don't think I should have to talk to an officer just because he has a badge. I treat him like I treat anyone else I would run into in any given situation. Not long ago I was having lunch with my mom and sister at Jason's deli. State trooper comes in and sits behind me. From his position he had an unobstructed view of my firearm but never said a word. On my way out, trooper on my strong side, we made eye contact and I gave him a friendly nod but that was it. We ate and left. Total time with officer behind me, 30 minutes. Go about your business and be aware of your surroundings. Don't be affraid or nervous because you are more likely to draw attention to yourself.

Gunslinger

Late yesterday afternoon, I approached a four way intersection near Winchester, VA. I needed gasoline and a cuppa. There were three corners of the intersection with gasoline / convenience stores. The largest, easiest to assess and most appealing store had a county mounty and a state trooper vehicles sitting in front of it. I opted for the farthest store to limit any chance of drama. I was tired, cold and on a motorcycle. Some days I just like some solitude. I'd had a good day of it. I was too far from home, with too little to gain to risk a trip to the local poky for contempt of cop. The decision making process took about 1.3 seconds. Had I only had the one choice, the store the cops were at, I imagine I would have got gasoline there, skipped the coffee and sandwich, and been out of there ASAP. Some days its just OK to let sleeping dogs lie.

That is really a shame. A cop is nothing more to me than a guy wearing overalls. Going about my lawful business, I'd avoid neither...nor let either interrupt my commerce.

eye95

That is really a shame. A cop is nothing more to me than a guy wearing overalls. Going about my lawful business, I'd avoid neither...nor let either interrupt my commerce.

If we allow a few rogue cops to change our lawful behavior, then we are not free. Until an actual encounter occurs, my behavior in the presence of LEOs is the same as when they are nowhere in the area.

GWbiker

Do you avoid LEO contact?

No. Here in Arizona, OC is quite simply a non-issue. There's no reason to avoid LE.

I don't avoid them in Tucson, however, sometimes I'll run into a real friendly LEO who wants to discuss guns and ammo and best place to shoot, etc, etc, etc...