• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone seen the LEO commerical supporting Barrett/Van Hollen?

anmut

Noticed this during the weekend. It looks like this is their union maybe? It tries to come off non partisan but is completely transparent in the message.

I can't quote exactly but it states that this LEO group supports a republican, JB Van Hollen and a democrat, Tom Barrett, in the upcoming elections.

Made me slightly sick...

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Trying to gin up interest in Codevilla's writings, Ds and Rs are both "ruling class"

We are "country class."

Codevilla said:
Whereas in 1968 Governor George Wallace's taunt "there ain't a dime's worth of difference" between the Republican and Democratic parties resonated with only 13.5 percent of the American people, in 1992 Ross Perot became a serious contender for the presidency (at one point he was favored by 39 percent of Americans vs. 31 percent for G.H.W. Bush and 25 percent for Clinton) simply by speaking ill of the ruling class.(The American Spectator, Jul - Aug 2010

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gin_up

range rat

Noticed this during the weekend. It looks like this is their union maybe? It tries to come off non partisan but is completely transparent in the message.

I can't quote exactly but it states that this LEO group supports a republican, JB Van Hollen and a democrat, Tom Barrett, in the upcoming elections.

Made me slightly sick...

GREAt !!! that's all we need, a BAD cass of TB.[ Tom Barrett ]

Flipper

Campaign Veteran

Made me slightly sick...

Barrett is hiding behind "I am only going to support concealed carry only if the women and men of law enforcement do." So, according to Barrett the cops are going to decide whether or not Wisconsin citizens will be able carry concealed. With the past record of the Police Chiefs Association guess what that will be.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
Barrett is hiding behind "I am only going to support concealed carry only if the women and men of law enforcement do." So, according to Barrett the cops are going to decide whether or not Wisconsin citizens will be able carry concealed. With the past record of the Police Chiefs Association guess what that will be.

FALSE!

Barrett will NOT, I repeat, NOT support any form of concealed carry for Wisconsin. I asked Barrett personally, and he stated, "I don't see the need." If Barrett wins, you can kiss your chances at any form of concealed carry.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
FALSE!

Barrett will NOT, I repeat, NOT support any form of concealed carry for Wisconsin. I asked Barrett personally, and he stated, "I don't see the need." If Barrett wins, you can kiss your chances at any form of concealed carry.

Quote from article:

On the issues: Concealed guns
By Patrick Marley of the Journal Sentinel
Sept. 7, 2010

Tom Barrett: The Second Amendment clearly protects the rights of individuals to keep and bear arms. Yet the vast majority of police, law enforcement agencies and public safety groups have concerns about concealed carry. I stand with the men and women of Wisconsin law enforcement, and any concealed carry legislation must have the support of officers on the front line.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/101977658.html

Hmmm....he admits there is a 2nd Amendment right for individuals to bear arms, doesn't like concealed carry because the cops have concerns about it. The conclusion that can be made is that he supports open carry. I don't think he knows it though. Maybe he's thinking of the ol' right of the individual to bear arms to kill ("harvest" in DNR PC talk) deer thing.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
It doesn't matter what the papers print, I am telling you I talked to the man personally, and I have the conversation on tape.

I asked his position on CC, and he stated he didn't see the need, as WI already had the OC thing. It will take me a day or two to get the file out of my BB, but I'll upload it here. Anything printed about Barrett supporting any form of CC goes directly against his own personal statements.

If Barrett goes to Madison, you can forget about CC.

RR_Broccoli

"concerns"?

What, exactly does that translate to as far as a position?

Last time I checked, civil, constitutional and natural rights were not dispensed at the front desk of the police department.

Seems to me, like "concerns" is a back handed way of lying about what their position is.

phred

sop

Hmmm, because I am not in favor of concealed carry (that's the "CC" you/he meant, right?), a sop to the NRA, should I vote for Barrett?

I checked on the meanings of the noun 'sop' and find them all appropriate to my meaning.

I think he means "something given by way of concession or appeasement" or "a bribe". It's either that or "a piece of food, as bread soaked in milk, gravy, etc."

I think I'll go with my first choice. In fact I usually go with my first choice.

It's SOP (standard operating procedure).

I learned something new today. :banana:

Captain Nemo

To one extent or another all politicians are hypocrites, period. They will say whatever it takes to win an election. My case in point, Barac Obama and his HOPE. We all now hope he only serves four years. Hubert is correct Barrett is absolutely opposed to concealed carry. He is shrewd. He shields his position by using the endorsement of law enforcement. I can tell you from my involvement in the failed Personal Protection Act of 2006 that the Police Chiefs Association, WAVE, and the Sheriff and Deputy Sheriffs Association will never endorse concealed carry. The only law enforcement group that supported concealed carry in 2006 was the State Patrol. Barrett knows this so he can appear to be receptive to concealed carry full well knowing that the major law enforcement agencies will not accept it. He ends up with an ace in the hole. If a concealed carry measure comes to his desk he could say "Well I could support the bill but I must adhere to the wishes of the law enforcement community and veto it". My opinions