• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

M16A1 parts kit question??

1245A Defender

found this at sportsman guide, they even advertise on this forum.
im not thinking about this for open carry, its a question of fed law and batfe.
moz-screenshot.png

Used U.S. Military Colt M16a1 Parts Kit, Shooting Supplies at Sportsman's Guide
it sound like a machine kit,, if you add a lower, will it be a select fire, assault rifle.?
even if you add the trigger disconnector to make it semi auto,
you would still be if violation of batfe if you keep the original parts.
am i right in me assessment of this kit?

im looking for the lawful answers, and the technical answers.

Batousaii

HeLLoo Defender

Well, if you put it together with all the parts i see in the kit (pictured)... It will not work. It is missing the disconnecter. Now, if you assembles as is and put in an M-16 disconnecter, then YES, it would be a machine gun, however would not operate correctly as there is no hole for the automatic sear. If you drilled the hole for the sear, then Double YES, machine gun. Without the sear it would slam fire, and or fail to fire.
- To do it correctly and use this kit with original parts, and to be legal, You would need to file down the selector drum, in effect giving you 2 semi-auto positions, and use an AR-15 disconnecter, or file the tail off the M-16 dsconnecter. Also best to file the extra tail at the end of the hammer head (at back) of the hammer. The rest is usually fine. I myself have an old SGW (Now Olympic Arms) XM177E2 Commando modeled after the old Vietnam shorty M-16. I have the modified M-16 set in mine too, with two positions of Semi-Auto. It looks very cool. Now, some of those companies will not include the Auto-Sear to certain states, and in fact that part by itself is a contraband item in WA state. I do not have that part, mine was assembled when i purchased it over the counter. So i hope that helps to answer both the legal and technical sides of the question :)

Bat.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

yes..

thanx for the complete and specific answers.
you answered questions i haddent even posed, but had kind of figured.
i dont really want an ar15, but was intrigued that a machine gun
might be being sold as a parts kit.
i knew there must be a catch, not that i really want a machine gun.
not that theres anything wrong with that..
kinda like my ak47, i could buy a trigger group for 20 bucks,
but couldnt use it untill i drilled my receiver to mopunt the parts.
but that would be against the law, and i dont want to go there!

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Well, if you put it together with all the parts i see in the kit (pictured)... It will not work. It is missing the disconnecter. Now, if you assembles as is and put in an M-16 disconnecter, then YES, it would be a machine gun, however would not operate correctly as there is no hole for the automatic sear. If you drilled the hole for the sear, then Double YES, machine gun. Without the sear it would slam fire, and or fail to fire.
- To do it correctly and use this kit with original parts, and to be legal, You would need to file down the selector drum, in effect giving you 2 semi-auto positions, and use an AR-15 disconnecter, or file the tail off the M-16 dsconnecter. Also best to file the extra tail at the end of the hammer head (at back) of the hammer. The rest is usually fine. I myself have an old SGW (Now Olympic Arms) XM177E2 Commando modeled after the old Vietnam shorty M-16. I have the modified M-16 set in mine too, with two positions of Semi-Auto. It looks very cool. Now, some of those companies will not include the Auto-Sear to certain states, and in fact that part by itself is a contraband item in WA state. I do not have that part, mine was assembled when i purchased it over the counter. So i hope that helps to answer both the legal and technical sides of the question :)

Bat.

I'd like to add that unless you have an older SP-1 style lower reciever you'd have to mill out the space where the auto-sear goes. Any modern recievers I've seen have thicker walls in that area to prevent the installation. I've also been told (but don't know for sure) that an attempt to mill out the material in order to fit the sear would likely ruin the reciever.

For me, the threat of spending 10 years in prision is enough. Besides, you can always just "bump-fire".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD213VW6WjY