Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Open carry legal age

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    18

    Open carry legal age

    Hey does anyone one know what age you have to be to OC in Wisconsin?

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    West Allis, WI, ,
    Posts
    299
    18 years of age.

    Federal law states that you must be 21 to purchase a handgun. Other laws require a person to be the age of majority to carry, except while hunting. I don't have the statutes on hand so I'll defer to others. This has been covered a couple times.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 - "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but the fool's heart to the left."

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by pvtschultz View Post
    18 years of age.

    Federal law states that you must be 21 to purchase a handgun. Other laws require a person to be the age of majority to carry, except while hunting. I don't have the statutes on hand so I'll defer to others. This has been covered a couple times.
    OK ty very much i also reside in West Allis but i never seen anyone OC. I heard that you do not need a permit to buy a gun but im not sure if you need one to OC a gun

  4. #4
    Regular Member JerryD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    central Wisconsin
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomfighter View Post
    OK ty very much i also reside in West Allis but i never seen anyone OC. I heard that you do not need a permit to buy a gun but im not sure if you need one to OC a gun
    NO permit is needed to OC.

  5. #5
    Regular Member johnny amish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    High altitude of Vernon County, ,
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
    NO permit is needed to OC.
    Welcome to the cool group freedomfighter. As you have seen we still have the right to oc, no permission needed from the government. Carry on

  6. #6
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,197
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomfighter View Post
    OK ty very much i also reside in West Allis but i never seen anyone OC. I heard that you do not need a permit to buy a gun but im not sure if you need one to OC a gun
    I OC just about everywhere up and down Hwy 100 from St'allis to Hales Corners. Pick n Save, Menards (west allis and hales corners), Kohls, Jimmy Johns, Sentry (west allis), Target, Walmart (greenfield), Sam's Club, Aldi, Advanced Auto, Hancock Fabrics, Home Depot, Steins Garden Center(greenfield), Sherpers (hales corners), Dunhams Sports, Subway (west allis), Michaels, Oscars Frozen Custard, McDonalds, Greenfield Mini-Golf Center, Health Hut, Pro Tan, Northern Tool, HOBO, Uhaul... I'm probably forgetting a few places, but you get the idea.
    WCI_Tri-Fold_rev_1.pdf
    www.wisconsincarry.org Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is not affiliated with opencarry.org or these web forums. Questions about discussion forum policy or forum moderation should be directed to the owners of opencarry.org not Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman View Post
    I OC just about everywhere up and down Hwy 100 from St'allis to Hales Corners. Pick n Save, Menards (west allis and hales corners), Kohls, Jimmy Johns, Sentry (west allis), Target, Walmart (greenfield), Sam's Club, Aldi, Advanced Auto, Hancock Fabrics, Home Depot, Steins Garden Center(greenfield), Sherpers (hales corners), Dunhams Sports, Subway (west allis), Michaels, Oscars Frozen Custard, McDonalds, Greenfield Mini-Golf Center, Health Hut, Pro Tan, Northern Tool, HOBO, Uhaul... I'm probably forgetting a few places, but you get the idea.
    WCI_Tri-Fold_rev_1.pdf
    I am very glad there are people out there that love to Excercise their rights as much as you do i will be one of them..Have you had any complaints from store managers or customers for OC'ing in stores?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomfighter View Post
    I am very glad there are people out there that love to Excercise their rights as much as you do i will be one of them..Have you had any complaints from store managers or customers for OC'ing in stores?
    Here check this out, i just had a huge thread on this matter as i am 18 too and had every question i could think of answered for me.

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...he-right-place.
    Last edited by HolyOrangeJuice; 10-05-2010 at 12:59 PM.

  9. #9
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,197
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomfighter View Post
    I am very glad there are people out there that love to Excercise their rights as much as you do i will be one of them..Have you had any complaints from store managers or customers for OC'ing in stores?
    Not a single one.

    Now I'm 35, so its possible that being younger, some people may question your legal age and if you are old enough to carry.

    I don't know if an officer see's you and you don't look legal age if thats RAS to stop you and ask for ID or not.

    Someone once told me if a cop see's you drinking a beer and you don't look old enough they can stop and ask your ID though you are doing nothing else wrong and they have RAS to do so. I can't confirm.

    All I'm saying is just be prepared for the question, and your age may invite more inquiries.

    But legal is legal, you shouldn't be afraid to exercise your rights. you are 18, you are legal.
    www.wisconsincarry.org Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is not affiliated with opencarry.org or these web forums. Questions about discussion forum policy or forum moderation should be directed to the owners of opencarry.org not Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,322
    Quote Originally Posted by pvtschultz View Post
    18 years of age.

    Federal law states that you must be 21 to purchase a handgun. Other laws require a person to be the age of majority to carry, except while hunting. I don't have the statutes on hand so I'll defer to others. This has been covered a couple times.
    You must be 21 from a FFL, as young as 18 for a private sale I do believe.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  11. #11
    Regular Member DanM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by pvtschultz View Post
    Federal law states that you must be 21 to purchase a handgun.
    Federal law states that you must be 21 to purchase a handgun from a licensed gun dealer. An 18 year old may purchase a handgun from a private seller, if your state law allows it. In Michigan, you may purchase a handgun from a private seller at 18.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    18

    Thank you

    Thanks you guys a get alot of help im glad i joined

  13. #13
    bhancock
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomfighter View Post
    Thanks you guys a get alot of help im glad i joined
    Welcome aboard fellow freedom fighter. You may purchase a handgun from a private party at 18 and I am sure you may also have someone over 21 purchase a handgun for you from a dealer if you are under 21. I purchased a handgun for my son when he was 18 and also disclosed that on the background check, noting that the person I was purchasing for was not a felon or restricted by the other crimes listed. So I believe that especially a relative could purchase it for you or give you one as a nice gift, Christmas is just around the corner you know.

    Get all boned up on the law like HolyOrangeJuice an Carry On. We some young blood to help out us older dogs, I have to catch my breath once in while.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,839
    Quote Originally Posted by bhancock View Post
    Welcome aboard fellow freedom fighter. You may purchase a handgun from a private party at 18 and I am sure you may also have someone over 21 purchase a handgun for you from a dealer if you are under 21. I purchased a handgun for my son when he was 18 and also disclosed that on the background check, noting that the person I was purchasing for was not a felon or restricted by the other crimes listed.
    There is simply no way to do what you are describing. If you "disclose" that the firearm is for someone else by answering NO to the first question on the 4473, the purchase can not proceed forward. You must purchase the handgun for YOURSELF and then gift it to your son.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,839
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Federal law states that you must be 21 to purchase a handgun from a licensed gun dealer. An 18 year old may purchase a handgun from a private seller, if your state law allows it. In Michigan, you may purchase a handgun from a private seller at 18.
    You may purchase a handgun at age 12 if your State allows it. Federal Law is silent on the matter. WI Law states that you must be 18 to possess a handgun unless you are target practicing with your parent or legal guardian. You may not even hunt with your parent using a handgun. It is silent on purchasing but since you can not possess one, it would be difficult to purchase one.
    Last edited by Interceptor_Knight; 10-06-2010 at 10:31 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •