• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry legal age

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
18 years of age.

Federal law states that you must be 21 to purchase a handgun. Other laws require a person to be the age of majority to carry, except while hunting. I don't have the statutes on hand so I'll defer to others. This has been covered a couple times.

18 years of age.

Federal law states that you must be 21 to purchase a handgun. Other laws require a person to be the age of majority to carry, except while hunting. I don't have the statutes on hand so I'll defer to others. This has been covered a couple times.

OK ty very much i also reside in West Allis but i never seen anyone OC. I heard that you do not need a permit to buy a gun but im not sure if you need one to OC a gun

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
OK ty very much i also reside in West Allis but i never seen anyone OC. I heard that you do not need a permit to buy a gun but im not sure if you need one to OC a gun

I OC just about everywhere up and down Hwy 100 from St'allis to Hales Corners. Pick n Save, Menards (west allis and hales corners), Kohls, Jimmy Johns, Sentry (west allis), Target, Walmart (greenfield), Sam's Club, Aldi, Advanced Auto, Hancock Fabrics, Home Depot, Steins Garden Center(greenfield), Sherpers (hales corners), Dunhams Sports, Subway (west allis), Michaels, Oscars Frozen Custard, McDonalds, Greenfield Mini-Golf Center, Health Hut, Pro Tan, Northern Tool, HOBO, Uhaul... I'm probably forgetting a few places, but you get the idea.
View attachment WCI_Tri-Fold_rev_1.pdf

I OC just about everywhere up and down Hwy 100 from St'allis to Hales Corners. Pick n Save, Menards (west allis and hales corners), Kohls, Jimmy Johns, Sentry (west allis), Target, Walmart (greenfield), Sam's Club, Aldi, Advanced Auto, Hancock Fabrics, Home Depot, Steins Garden Center(greenfield), Sherpers (hales corners), Dunhams Sports, Subway (west allis), Michaels, Oscars Frozen Custard, McDonalds, Greenfield Mini-Golf Center, Health Hut, Pro Tan, Northern Tool, HOBO, Uhaul... I'm probably forgetting a few places, but you get the idea.
View attachment 4192

I am very glad there are people out there that love to Excercise their rights as much as you do i will be one of them..Have you had any complaints from store managers or customers for OC'ing in stores?

HolyOrangeJuice

Last edited:

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I am very glad there are people out there that love to Excercise their rights as much as you do i will be one of them..Have you had any complaints from store managers or customers for OC'ing in stores?

Not a single one.

Now I'm 35, so its possible that being younger, some people may question your legal age and if you are old enough to carry.

I don't know if an officer see's you and you don't look legal age if thats RAS to stop you and ask for ID or not.

Someone once told me if a cop see's you drinking a beer and you don't look old enough they can stop and ask your ID though you are doing nothing else wrong and they have RAS to do so. I can't confirm.

All I'm saying is just be prepared for the question, and your age may invite more inquiries.

But legal is legal, you shouldn't be afraid to exercise your rights. you are 18, you are legal.

protias

18 years of age.

You must be 21 from a FFL, as young as 18 for a private sale I do believe.

DanM

Federal law states that you must be 21 to purchase a handgun.

Federal law states that you must be 21 to purchase a handgun from a licensed gun dealer. An 18 year old may purchase a handgun from a private seller, if your state law allows it. In Michigan, you may purchase a handgun from a private seller at 18.

B

bhancock

Thanks you guys a get alot of help im glad i joined:banana:

Welcome aboard fellow freedom fighter. You may purchase a handgun from a private party at 18 and I am sure you may also have someone over 21 purchase a handgun for you from a dealer if you are under 21. I purchased a handgun for my son when he was 18 and also disclosed that on the background check, noting that the person I was purchasing for was not a felon or restricted by the other crimes listed. So I believe that especially a relative could purchase it for you or give you one as a nice gift, Christmas is just around the corner you know.

Get all boned up on the law like HolyOrangeJuice an Carry On. We some young blood to help out us older dogs, I have to catch my breath once in while.

Interceptor_Knight

Welcome aboard fellow freedom fighter. You may purchase a handgun from a private party at 18 and I am sure you may also have someone over 21 purchase a handgun for you from a dealer if you are under 21. I purchased a handgun for my son when he was 18 and also disclosed that on the background check, noting that the person I was purchasing for was not a felon or restricted by the other crimes listed.
There is simply no way to do what you are describing. If you "disclose" that the firearm is for someone else by answering NO to the first question on the 4473, the purchase can not proceed forward. You must purchase the handgun for YOURSELF and then gift it to your son.

Interceptor_Knight

Federal law states that you must be 21 to purchase a handgun from a licensed gun dealer. An 18 year old may purchase a handgun from a private seller, if your state law allows it. In Michigan, you may purchase a handgun from a private seller at 18.

You may purchase a handgun at age 12 if your State allows it. Federal Law is silent on the matter. WI Law states that you must be 18 to possess a handgun unless you are target practicing with your parent or legal guardian. You may not even hunt with your parent using a handgun. It is silent on purchasing but since you can not possess one, it would be difficult to purchase one.

Last edited: