• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone from Pocatello (Bannock County)?

jimd_21

Just ran across a county ordinance in Bannock County (Chapter 9.08 - WEAPONS),

"
9.08.010 - Short title.

This chapter shall be known and cited as the Bannock County public building firearms and dangerous weapons ordinance.

(Ord. 1995-2 § 1)

9.08.020 - Purpose.

The purpose of this chapter is to prohibit the possession of a firearm, explosive or incendiary device in any public building owned or operated by Bannock County "wherein any elected official, court of the State of Idaho or any judicial officer is housed or has offices," and making such possession a misdemeanor violation, except in those circumstances where the individual carrying or possessing the firearms, explosive or incendiary device is a law enforcement official of the state of Idaho or a political thereof, or a district court marshall.

(Ord. 1995-2 § 2)

9.08.030 - Definitions.

All words and phrases used in this chapter shall be given their ordinary, commonly understood and accepted meaning.

(Ord. 1995-2 § 3)

9.08.040 - Exceptions.

This chapter does not apply to law enforcement officials of the state of Idaho, or a political subdivision thereof, or to marshals of the Sixth Judicial District.

(Ord. 1995-2 § 4)

9.08.050 - Weapon possession.

It is unlawful for any person to have in his or her possession a firearm, explosive or incendiary device whether loaded or unloaded, while said person is within any public building owned and operated by Bannock County "wherein any elected official, court of the State of Idaho or any judicial officer is housed or has offices." Any person convicted of a violation of this prohibition shall be punished by a fine of not more than three hundred dollars ($300.00) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than six months or by both such fine and imprisonment.

(Ord. 1995-2 § 5)

"
This violates State Statute 18-3302J. PREEMPTION OF FIREARMS REGULATION.

Was wondering if anyone was going to address the commissioners about this and have it stricken from the books.

Were i live in Bingham County, even tho neighbors i am not a voter in that county. So what i say would fall on deaf ears.

ecocks

I would agree that seems to violate preemption and would join you in questioning it with the commissioners if I lived up in your area.

24forOC

New to OC advise?

Hi im Aaron and im new here. I was glad to see others in SE Idaho registered here.
Iam getting ready to start to open carry, and to be honest Iam slightly nervous as to the reaction I may receive from people and the Police Department. Iam 24 years old and have been around guns all my life. Admittedly I do look much younger then that(maybe 18) NO record of convictions other then speeding a few years ago:uhoh:.
I was very glad to read that others on here have had allot of good experiences. Im also currently working on my getting my concealed weapons license. Im preparing to start to open carry before that (any day now). Any advice or pointers would be greatly welcomed and appreciated, as Im new to OC in public.:lol;)
Thanks

Zhukov

Just to throw it out there, these laws are unenforceable.

I wouldn't worry. Even Boise had laws on the books about carry in buildings.

They probably still are on the books, but not enforced beccause they are preempted.

If you get hassled, you can go after the department for violating the law.

jimd_21

Hi im Aaron and im new here. I was glad to see others in SE Idaho registered here.
Iam getting ready to start to open carry, and to be honest Iam slightly nervous as to the reaction I may receive from people and the Police Department. Iam 24 years old and have been around guns all my life. Admittedly I do look much younger then that(maybe 18) NO record of convictions other then speeding a few years ago:uhoh:.
I was very glad to read that others on here have had allot of good experiences. Im also currently working on my getting my concealed weapons license. Im preparing to start to open carry before that (any day now). Any advice or pointers would be greatly welcomed and appreciated, as Im new to OC in public.:lol;)
Thanks

Congrats and welcome. Get your self a good holster, and have fun out on the town. As for my experience in S.E. Idaho, Costco is the only place that i had any issue. (Costco is a no go). I have O.C.ed in many places in Pocatello, Blackfoot, and Idaho Falls. Enjoy your freedom especially this weekend, Carry on.

24forOC

Thanks for responses

Thanks guys!:D Going to pick out a new holster today when I get off work! Im glad I found others locally and nationwide who share the same appreciation for there rights as I do! Its an honor to be part of the OC family here! Be safe this weekend you all, God Bless America