Thread: .22 Bolt Action Rifle

.22 Bolt Action Rifle

So after shooting a bolt action .22 the other day, I think I'm gonna get one. It's a ton of fun, and I can actually afford to shoot it as much as I want, unlike my .270.

I want it to be reasonably accurate, but I'm not looking for match quality here. I'm looking to get it pretty cheap, and I'm willing to buy used. My research has led back to the Savage Mark II, but I'm just wondering what everyone here recommends.

You can buy more expensive if you are going to be serious about bench resting and smallbore competition but for plinking and small game hunting you are good to go with that Savage. Buy it, enjoy it, don't look back.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grump View Post
    You can buy more expensive if you are going to be serious about bench resting and smallbore competition but for plinking and small game hunting you are good to go with that Savage. Buy it, enjoy it, don't look back.
    When it comes to rimfire, I am partial to Marlin. The Savage is a good gun and will do fine for plinking and such, but Marlins are a bit more accurate. IMHO
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

For a little less than the price of a Ruger 10/22 (great gun, by the way), I got a .22 comversion for my DPMS AR-15. Works great, but not as accurate as my modified 10/22. Sure is a lot cheaper than shooting .223 and I don't have to worry about collecting all my brass for reloading.

Thanks, guys, for bringing back an old man's memories of his boyhood.

My first ever firearm, at age 12(!), was a J.C.Higgins .22 bolt-action single shot. The durn thing was tack-driving accurate and many a squirrel met their demise at its bark.

Before someone screams that I was too young; keep in mind that I had to pass my uncles' and my Dad's judgement on whether I could be trusted with it. Their standards were pretty high. I will also tell you that almost every country boy back then had a .22 of some description. One of my cousins had a .22 semi-automatic that was almost as accurate as my single-shot.

FWIW, cuz's gun was a Marlin. I don't know who made the J.C.Higgins as that was a Sears, Roebuck house brand.

I have a jchiggins model 42 from i think the 50s or 60s, my grandpa paid less than 7 bucks for it. I will wipe the floor with a 10/22 at 50 yards all day. If you want a good bolt action, find an older one for a couple hundo.

wow

in 1968 iwas 15, bought a jc higgins mod 87a semi auto, used at the hardware store in eugene or. for 25$.
    dont know where that gun went, but i have another just like it, from stevens.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post

My first ever firearm, at age 12(!), was a J.C.Higgins .22 bolt-action single shot. The durn thing was tack-driving accurate and many a squirrel met their demise at its bark.

Before someone screams that I was too young; keep in mind that I had to pass my uncles' and my Dad's judgement on whether I could be trusted with it. Their standards were pretty high. I will also tell you that almost every country boy back then had a .22 of some description. One of my cousins had a .22 semi-automatic that was almost as accurate as my single-shot.

FWIW, cuz's gun was a Marlin. I don't know who made the J.C.Higgins as that was a Sears, Roebuck house brand.
    SFC, you're certainly not the only one. At least here in NC-SC it's still fairly normal. I got my first gun, a Remington 870 20ga when I was about 11, and bought my first gun at 12, a S&W 22A1. Or I suppose I should say, my Dad bought it to hold until I turned 21.

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post

My jc higgins is a marlin

I started out with an Iver Johnson model X single shot bolt action. I have never seen another model X . I have seen the 2X model a couple times but not the X .

It was a good shooter and let me bring many squirrels out of the woods. Aaahh the good times.

You Probably Can't Go Wrong

I have an old Marlin lever action that is a load of fun to shooy.

Have you looked into the Henrys?

I think they make a pump action .22.

I'm leaning bolt action-no practical reason, just preference.

I'm also considering putting a scope on my S&W 22 A-1.

I can't advise you on makes/models, but I can say I learned how to shoot on a .22 bolt-action rifle, and it was a heck of a lot of fun!

Good luck, and enjoy!
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.