• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.22 Bolt Action Rifle

sultan62

So after shooting a bolt action .22 the other day, I think I'm gonna get one. It's a ton of fun, and I can actually afford to shoot it as much as I want, unlike my .270.

I want it to be reasonably accurate, but I'm not looking for match quality here. I'm looking to get it pretty cheap, and I'm willing to buy used. My research has led back to the Savage Mark II, but I'm just wondering what everyone here recommends.

Old Grump

You can buy more expensive if you are going to be serious about bench resting and smallbore competition but for plinking and small game hunting you are good to go with that Savage. Buy it, enjoy it, don't look back.

rodbender

You can buy more expensive if you are going to be serious about bench resting and smallbore competition but for plinking and small game hunting you are good to go with that Savage. Buy it, enjoy it, don't look back.

When it comes to rimfire, I am partial to Marlin. The Savage is a good gun and will do fine for plinking and such, but Marlins are a bit more accurate. IMHO

beebobby

For a little less than the price of a Ruger 10/22 (great gun, by the way), I got a .22 comversion for my DPMS AR-15. Works great, but not as accurate as my modified 10/22. Sure is a lot cheaper than shooting .223 and I don't have to worry about collecting all my brass for reloading.

SFCRetired

Thanks, guys, for bringing back an old man's memories of his boyhood.

My first ever firearm, at age 12(!), was a J.C.Higgins .22 bolt-action single shot. The durn thing was tack-driving accurate and many a squirrel met their demise at its bark.

Before someone screams that I was too young; keep in mind that I had to pass my uncles' and my Dad's judgement on whether I could be trusted with it. Their standards were pretty high. I will also tell you that almost every country boy back then had a .22 of some description. One of my cousins had a .22 semi-automatic that was almost as accurate as my single-shot.

FWIW, cuz's gun was a Marlin. I don't know who made the J.C.Higgins as that was a Sears, Roebuck house brand.

confedneck

I have a jchiggins model 42 from i think the 50s or 60s, my grandpa paid less than 7 bucks for it. I will wipe the floor with a 10/22 at 50 yards all day. If you want a good bolt action, find an older one for a couple hundo.

sultan62

My first ever firearm, at age 12(!), was a J.C.Higgins .22 bolt-action single shot. The durn thing was tack-driving accurate and many a squirrel met their demise at its bark.

Before someone screams that I was too young; keep in mind that I had to pass my uncles' and my Dad's judgement on whether I could be trusted with it. Their standards were pretty high. I will also tell you that almost every country boy back then had a .22 of some description. One of my cousins had a .22 semi-automatic that was almost as accurate as my single-shot.

FWIW, cuz's gun was a Marlin. I don't know who made the J.C.Higgins as that was a Sears, Roebuck house brand.

SFC, you're certainly not the only one. At least here in NC-SC it's still fairly normal. I got my first gun, a Remington 870 20ga when I was about 11, and bought my first gun at 12, a S&W 22A1. Or I suppose I should say, my Dad bought it to hold until I turned 21.

confedneck

My jc higgins is a marlin

jayspapa

I started out with an Iver Johnson model X single shot bolt action. I have never seen another model X . I have seen the 2X model a couple times but not the X .

It was a good shooter and let me bring many squirrels out of the woods. Aaahh the good times.

Don Barnett

You Probably Can't Go Wrong

I have an old Marlin lever action that is a load of fun to shooy.

Have you looked into the Henrys?

I think they make a pump action .22.

sultan62

I'm leaning bolt action-no practical reason, just preference.

I'm also considering putting a scope on my S&W 22 A-1.