Thread: Another student's opinion, "Increased gun visibility, ownership no answer to crime"

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Another student's opinion, "Increased gun visibility, ownership no answer to crime"

http://badgerherald.com/oped/2010/10...gun_visibi.php
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Jara-Almonte
    They argue we would be safer if everyone were armed. One of their members is quoted in the State Journal claiming “at the moment you’re getting your head beat in, you probably wouldn’t mind someone being on scene with a gun.” That’s a powerful image and difficult to argue with, but it is myth, not reality. In Hollywood perhaps, guns save lives, but everywhere else in the world they take them.
    "[E]verywhere else in the world they take them." From a fourth year student of 'tuchustry' (an old word for obstetrics).

sigh, another idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Springfielddx40 View Post
    sigh, another idiot
    And why bother posting his BS? Hope he runs into a man with a knife sometime who wants his wallet. He can engage him in meaningful discourse.

I wish that people would research things before they just make blanket statements. This is an example of the attitudes that we must work to change.

*Picard facepalm

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    I wish that people would research things before they just make blanket statements.
    Yeah, we get plenty of that around here too.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Clearly a man steeped in rare knowledge and technique.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Geoff-Jara-almonte.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	4195  

Ever try to convince a college student that he/she does not know everything there is to know in the world? Fortunately age defuses their troubled minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    Ever try to convince a college student that he/she does not know everything there is to know in the world? Fortunately age defuses their troubled minds.
    That's why we need to require all college student to take at least one theoretical math class. You quickly learn, within a week, that you have to let go of all of your preconceptions and can only stand on things that you can prove. Of course you do have to take a few axioms as concrete.

My college experience was nothing but Liberal propaganda in every class. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    That's why we need to require all college student to take at least one theoretical math class. You quickly learn, within a week, that you have to let go of all of your preconceptions and can only stand on things that you can prove. Of course you do have to take a few axioms as concrete.
    that would be the worst requirement ever. Set theory melts brains! that's why half mine is missing, and I'm just in physics.

Geoff Jara-Alamonte wrote: Sensible gun owners need to pressure their peers into behaving safely and responsibly by leaving their weapons at home under lock and key.
    Geoff Jara-Alamonte also wrote: Business owners should also recognize that if they allow weapons on their premises they are placing employees and customers at risk.

I've now been educated on sensible and safe gun ownership by a smirking college student.
    Last edited by bluehighways; 10-05-2010 at 09:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    SNIP And why bother posting his BS?
    +1

Doug,

Please understand that unless you have a reason for posting quotes like that, really all you are doing is forwarding the enemy theory for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    that would be the worst requirement ever. Set theory melts brains! that's why half mine is missing, and I'm just in physics.
    It's like basic training, they break you down, and then build you back up. You have to keep at it! JK

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Doug, Please understand that unless you have a reason for posting quotes like that, really all you are doing is forwarding the enemy theory for them.
    I do, thank you. It is that we are an incestuous choir in a parochial see, and so is the devil's congregation. Know your friends but keep your enemies closer, IOW.

If I would "forward the enemy theory" then I would forward the enemy's syllogism.
    Last edited by Doug Huffman; 10-06-2010 at 07:27 AM.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    I do, thank you. It is that we are an incestuous choir in a parochial see, and so is the devil's congregation. Know your friends but keep your enemies closer, IOW.

If I would "forward the enemy theory" then I would forward the enemy's syllogism.

+1

I 'like' seeing the other sides arguments in case its something I had not heard before. It helps me prepare a response if someone asks me the same question, uses the same BS.

McX
    saw the title to the thread an had to chime in; i can see why he is just a student, he hasn't become a master yet. he needs to learn, and grow more, gain more knowledge in the facts before stating open carry has no deterrent effect.

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    +1

I 'like' seeing the other sides arguments in case its something I had not heard before. It helps me prepare a response if someone asks me the same question, uses the same BS.
    ditto. i like seeing what the other side is thinking, as well. even if it's nothing entirely new, it's still good to be aware of it.

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    +1

Same here, that's why I keep posting references to the Joyce Foundation and WAVE puke here, that way when they open up their mouth you know how far to step back.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    Same here, that's why I keep posting references to the Joyce Foundation and WAVE puke here, that way when they open up their mouth you know how far to step back.
    Heh heh, well said. "Get back, she's gonna BLOW!"

McX
    the left always blows chunks, not facts.

I resent that statement and think that your age should have taught you to keep such idiotic remarks to yourself. Labeling college students this way is the same as you being labeled an idiot for open-carrying. Just because he wrote an article that disagrees with your opinion doesn't mean that all college students "don't have the experience" to make smart decisions. His article is well written, but lacks the facts of whether or not Honduras has a similar government system as the U.S. This includes things like background checks for firearms purchases, laws restricting felon ownership of firearms, and the state of government in Honduras. Had he checked on it, he would know that Honduras doesn't require identifying marks on their firearms and their state of government is not at all similar to the U.S.

Signed,
    One college-aged person with an age-diffused, troubled mind.