• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another student's opinion, "Increased gun visibility, ownership no answer to crime"

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Another student's opinion, "Increased gun visibility, ownership no answer to crime"

http://badgerherald.com/oped/2010/10/04/increased_gun_visibi.php
Geoff Jara-Almonte said:
They argue we would be safer if everyone were armed. One of their members is quoted in the State Journal claiming “at the moment you’re getting your head beat in, you probably wouldn’t mind someone being on scene with a gun.” That’s a powerful image and difficult to argue with, but it is myth, not reality. In Hollywood perhaps, guns save lives, but everywhere else in the world they take them.
"[E]verywhere else in the world they take them." From a fourth year student of 'tuchustry' (an old word for obstetrics).

TyGuy

I wish that people would research things before they just make blanket statements. This is an example of the attitudes that we must work to change.

*Picard facepalm

Vandil

Clearly a man steeped in rare knowledge and technique.

Attachments

• Geoff-Jara-almonte.jpg
    Geoff-Jara-almonte.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 151

TyGuy

Ever try to convince a college student that he/she does not know everything there is to know in the world? Fortunately age defuses their troubled minds.

That's why we need to require all college student to take at least one theoretical math class. You quickly learn, within a week, that you have to let go of all of your preconceptions and can only stand on things that you can prove. Of course you do have to take a few axioms as concrete.

Daylen

That's why we need to require all college student to take at least one theoretical math class. You quickly learn, within a week, that you have to let go of all of your preconceptions and can only stand on things that you can prove. Of course you do have to take a few axioms as concrete.

that would be the worst requirement ever. Set theory melts brains! that's why half mine is missing, and I'm just in physics.

bluehighways

Geoff Jara-Alamonte wrote: Sensible gun owners need to pressure their peers into behaving safely and responsibly by leaving their weapons at home under lock and key.
Geoff Jara-Alamonte also wrote: Business owners should also recognize that if they allow weapons on their premises they are placing employees and customers at risk.

I've now been educated on sensible and safe gun ownership by a smirking college student.

Last edited:

TyGuy

that would be the worst requirement ever. Set theory melts brains! that's why half mine is missing, and I'm just in physics.

It's like basic training, they break you down, and then build you back up. You have to keep at it! JK

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Doug, Please understand that unless you have a reason for posting quotes like that, really all you are doing is forwarding the enemy theory for them.
I do, thank you. It is that we are an incestuous choir in a parochial see, and so is the devil's congregation. Know your friends but keep your enemies closer, IOW.

If I would "forward the enemy theory" then I would forward the enemy's syllogism.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

I do, thank you. It is that we are an incestuous choir in a parochial see, and so is the devil's congregation. Know your friends but keep your enemies closer, IOW.

If I would "forward the enemy theory" then I would forward the enemy's syllogism.

+1

I 'like' seeing the other sides arguments in case its something I had not heard before. It helps me prepare a response if someone asks me the same question, uses the same BS.

M

McX

saw the title to the thread an had to chime in; i can see why he is just a student, he hasn't become a master yet. he needs to learn, and grow more, gain more knowledge in the facts before stating open carry has no deterrent effect.

The Don

+1

I 'like' seeing the other sides arguments in case its something I had not heard before. It helps me prepare a response if someone asks me the same question, uses the same BS.

ditto. i like seeing what the other side is thinking, as well. even if it's nothing entirely new, it's still good to be aware of it.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
+1

Same here, that's why I keep posting references to the Joyce Foundation and WAVE puke here, that way when they open up their mouth you know how far to step back.