• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fun Times in West Branch

Yosemite Sam

Family Membership, St. Helen, Michigan, USA
Had an incident in West Branch about a week ago. There was this young kid; I’ll call him a young kid because I’m 55 and he’s 19. He was open carrying in the City park when, the city police chief stopped him and took away his gun. The young man tried to tell the officer it was legal in Michigan to Open Carry. The Chief said that there was an ordinance against carrying in the city. I guess the kid told him that he didn’t know about any Ordinance. The police held on to his gun for about 4 days. And when they gave it back to him, “They said that the only reason that they were giving him his gun back was because he was a good kid, and that he didn’t know about the ordinance. But they may still charge him with something they just didn’t know what yet, and explain to him that it was illegal to carry in the city limits because of their ordinance.” (I hear he’s in the military)
A few days later, when I heard of this, I called the City Police Chief and advised him that what he did was illegal and that Michigan law MCL.123.1102 trumps any ordinance that they may have in place. He then said that, that was my opinion and that the city attorney advised him that he could enforce it. I again told him he was wrong, and that if he continued doing this, that he was setting himself and the city of West Branch up to be SUED. I then told him that I just came from the Hospital in his city, and that I was open carrying in there, and that there was nothing he could do about it! And that I’ll be back there in about an hour or so visiting my wife if he any questions. After about 15 mins. or so, of trying to explain to him he was still wrong! I asked him if he had a fax number. He said yes, and gave it to me. I said that I would fax him some info. that he and the city Attorney might want to read, before they cost the city some REAL money! (A Leo Packet was faxed) I open carry in West Branch all the time with no problems. He never did come to the hospital that I know of. I never saw him at least.
Since then, I talked with this young man and he said “Everything is fine with open carrying.” But that every time he looks in his mirror the city police are always following him. I said they are just waiting for you to mess up some way or some how. “Just keep your nose clean!!” And if they hassle him about open carrying just call me and I’ll see what we can do to help! (He learned about Open Carry from the Tri-folds I left at the Pawn Shop in West Branch.) I hear thru the grape vine that the chief went to the Ogemaw County Sheriffs office and they told also told him that he was wrong!! So when heading north, make sure you stop in the NOW friendly city of West Branch!!

Last edited:

TheQ

Sounds like a future picnic site. ;)

I was just thinking the same thing. Maybe we could organize a march through downtown like happened in Battle Creak and Hastings. I'd be willing to drive the West Branch if it was on a weekend. Someone care to organize this?

sprinklerguy28

Again I thank you for your fine work up there. I will be in Roscommon from Nov 13-19. Let me know what days you and the Mrs. will be available to meet up. I'm thinking dinner in West Branch sounds fun. Maybe we can get a large group together one night.

TheQ

Again I thank you for your fine work up there. I will be in Roscommon from Nov 13-19. Let me know what days you and the Mrs. will be available to meet up. I'm thinking dinner in West Branch sounds fun. Maybe we can get a large group together one night.

The 13th or the 14th sounds great. We have "Silver Bells" on 11/19. Can we plan an OC get together in West Branch on the 13th or 14th?

Bailenforcer

Good job on informing them....

I wonder what would happen around here in Petoskey or Boyne City. They don't bother me but I am known to fight like a cornered wolverine when messed with so I am guessing they don't want a fight in a court with me yet. Does anyone else open carry in Boyne City or Petoskey on a regular basis?

Had an incident in West Branch about a week ago. There was this young kid; I’ll call him a young kid because I’m 55 and he’s 19. He was open carrying in the City park when, the city police chief stopped him and took away his gun. The young man tried to tell the officer it was legal in Michigan to Open Carry. The Chief said that there was an ordinance against carrying in the city. I guess the kid told him that he didn’t know about any Ordinance. The police held on to his gun for about 4 days. And when they gave it back to him, “They said that the only reason that they were giving him his gun back was because he was a good kid, and that he didn’t know about the ordinance. But they may still charge him with something they just didn’t know what yet, and explain to him that it was illegal to carry in the city limits because of their ordinance.” (I hear he’s in the military)
A few days later, when I heard of this, I called the City Police Chief and advised him that what he did was illegal and that Michigan law MCL.123.1102 trumps any ordinance that they may have in place. He then said that, that was my opinion and that the city attorney advised him that he could enforce it. I again told him he was wrong, and that if he continued doing this, that he was setting himself and the city of West Branch up to be SUED. I then told him that I just came from the Hospital in his city, and that I was open carrying in there, and that there was nothing he could do about it! And that I’ll be back there in about an hour or so visiting my wife if he any questions. After about 15 mins. or so, of trying to explain to him he was still wrong! I asked him if he had a fax number. He said yes, and gave it to me. I said that I would fax him some info. that he and the city Attorney might want to read, before they cost the city some REAL money! (A Leo Packet was faxed) I open carry in West Branch all the time with no problems. He never did come to the hospital that I know of. I never saw him at least.
Since then, I talked with this young man and he said “Everything is fine with open carrying.” But that every time he looks in his mirror the city police are always following him. I said they are just waiting for you to mess up some way or some how. “Just keep your nose clean!!” And if they hassle him about open carrying just call me and I’ll see what we can do to help! (He learned about Open Carry from the Tri-folds I left at the Pawn Shop in West Branch.) I hear thru the grape vine that the chief went to the Ogemaw County Sheriffs office and they told also told him that he was wrong!! So when heading north, make sure you stop in the NOW friendly city of West Branch!!

jasonman17

I live in Harrison, Mi and I am in the town of westbranch every so often so I would like to join if you guys plain somthing there. weekend is best for me as I work all week and long hours.

malignity

I was raised in Gladwin. Maybe it's time I go up and visit the parents.

I suppose I could hit up the trails in my truck on the way too.

TheQ

Calling the question

So, let me call the question to those following this thread. Nov. 14, would you support an open carry rally/march in West Branch on that day?

TheQ

So it sounds like we have at least 4 or 5 for the 14th?

Can someone local pick a spot to gather at and post the address here?

Yosemite Sam

Family Membership, St. Helen, Michigan, USA
Meeting Place!!!!

Ive talked to those I am riding up with hunting. The afternoon of the 14 would work for me.

It will be held at: G's Pizzeria And Deli, 200 W Houghton Ave, West Branch, Michigan, (989) 345-3008. On November 14, 2010, Starting at 3:00 pm. This pizzeria is located almost across the street from the Ogamaw City Police station. Yes they do sell Alcohol there, but the Owner said it was OK for non cpl holders anyways!! See ya there!!

Last edited:

TheQ

Yes they do sell Alcohol there, but the Owner said it was OK for non cpl holders anyways!! See ya there!!

Can you get that in (hand)writing from the owner/manager prior to that date?

I'd want all the legal coverage we can get for our non-cpl brothers.

Onnie

At this time I plan on going up that day unless something more important arises, if anyone whats to share the gas from down here in da flatlands, ill be glad to drive.