• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'd at the Kent Winco

Aaron1124

Went shopping this afternoon at the Kent Winco with my wife and daughter. I spent over an hour in there, and absolutely nothing negative. I passed one manager who smiled and asked how we were doing. As we were checking out, the cashier looked at my firearm and let out the infamous "Is that real?!" line. I said "Yep." She responds with "Oh my! I am glad no one has come up to you and tried to take it from you, and start shooting all over the place!" I just sort of nodded and said "That's probably not going to happen." and smiled.

As I was bagging my groceries, a customer walked up and said

Customer: "Excuse me.. now this is just out of curiosity, but you can carry like that here?" (I felt like saying - "No, I'm breaking the law! Isn't that cool?" but I said

Me: "Yep. This is an open carry state!"

Customer: "Oh that is pretty cool man. I knew you could in Arizona, but not here. I guess I stand corrected!"

Me: "Actually many states allow open carry. You should check out opencarry.org for a lot of good information."

Customer: "Cool man. Well hey, you guys enjoy your afternoon!"

I posted this, because some other members have mentioned that they've had less than excellent experiences as Winco, but I passed a manager, and several employees, but nothing negative happened at all.

joejoejoe

Sounds like a great experience! I was at Trader Joe's today, and the cashier said, "So, do you pack heat everywhere or just grocery stores?" I laughed and said, "Just grocery stores." Then I said, "Actually, a gun in the hand is worth more than a cop on the phone." He smiled, and said, "I understand." Then we continued to chat about other stuff and he said have a nice day at the end.

Joe~

tombrewster421

Went shopping this afternoon at the Kent Winco with my wife and daughter. I spent over an hour in there, and absolutely nothing negative. I passed one manager who smiled and asked how we were doing. As we were checking out, the cashier looked at my firearm and let out the infamous "Is that real?!" line. I said "Yep." She responds with "Oh my! I am glad no one has come up to you and tried to take it from you, and start shooting all over the place!" I just sort of nodded and said "That's probably not going to happen." and smiled.

As I was bagging my groceries, a customer walked up and said

Customer: "Excuse me.. now this is just out of curiosity, but you can carry like that here?" (I felt like saying - "No, I'm breaking the law! Isn't that cool?" but I said

Me: "Yep. This is an open carry state!"

Customer: "Oh that is pretty cool man. I knew you could in Arizona, but not here. I guess I stand corrected!"

Me: "Actually many states allow open carry. You should check out opencarry.org for a lot of good information."

Customer: "Cool man. Well hey, you guys enjoy your afternoon!"

I posted this, because some other members have mentioned that they've had less than excellent experiences as Winco, but I passed a manager, and several employees, but nothing negative happened at all.

Now that's exactly the kind of encounter I love to have. Where someone asks a legitamate question and learns from it. That is what OC is about. It makes it hard to have a positive effect like that when they see you getting hassled by the cops.

DEROS72

That is as it should beTom excellent!
2 similar experiences today.The gal that cuts my hair asked me if that was us(op-en Carry) on TV this weekend.She had regognized us from Bookman and myself getting haircuts at the same place and filling them in on OC.
I then went to Fred Meyers on Pac hwy.When I was buying a printer cartridge a younger guy spotted my sidearm and said Open carry .org right? He asked if I asked if I was the Starbucks guy on the news a while back.He was well versed in RCW's and related stories of going into a courthouse and making an officer check his weapon.The officer he said, told him that that was for LE only.My young friend pulled out a book with the RCW's and let this officer read it.The officer then got a box for his side arm. It was refreshing to meet someone out of the blue also well versed in the RCW"S
We are deffinately making a splash..

HK_dave

anyone know where you can get those RCW "cliff notes" books all the cops carry around with them?

xxx.jakk.xxx

When I purchased my XDM, I received a blue booklet that contained all of Washington's laws relating to firearms. It was from Wholesale Sports over in Silverdale. I don't know if it's because the gun was a NRA pick and was from the NRA or if it was a book that the store itself hands out. If I can find where I put it I'll post up any information it has regarding who printed it and such.

*edit*

Well, I searched my car and found 2 years worth of mail, pay stubs and receipts, but no booklet. I think that it may have gotten tossed during a car cleaning or picked up by a friend who rode with me.

Last edited:

Trigger Dr

When I purchased my XDM, I received a blue booklet that contained all of Washington's laws relating to firearms. It was from Wholesale Sports over in Silverdale. I don't know if it's because the gun was a NRA pick and was from the NRA or if it was a book that the store itself hands out. If I can find where I put it I'll post up any information it has regarding who printed it and such.

*edit*

Well, I searched my car and found 2 years worth of mail, pay stubs and receipts, but no booklet. I think that it may have gotten tossed during a car cleaning or picked up by a friend who rode with me.

Those booklets are printed by the state and you can get one at any store that sells firearms. The State provides them and asked that they be handed out with the purchase.

xxx.jakk.xxx

Looks like y'all located the missing booklet while I was out. Thanks for finding it, guys. =]

HK_dave

the ones i've seen weren't just firearms, but most common RCWs that get broken: thefts, domestic violence, assaults, weapons, traffic...

they can't carry the full volume of the RCWs around in their cars...