• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just a "What If" Question

smlawrence

What if I owned a business in the city limits, on private property, and posted on my door "No Weapons". Would a LEO have to abide by my sign?

chiefjason

Off duty, maybe but they are also exempt for some of the no carry areas. So that's even gray.

On duty, on police business I would say no. On duty, personal business, I seriously doubt it there either.

Seems that most of the carry laws reference that they do not apply to people exempt from 14-269, here are the exemptions.

14‑269. Carrying concealed weapons.
(b) This prohibition shall not apply to the following persons:
(1) Officers and enlisted personnel of the armed forces of the United States when in discharge of their official duties as such and acting under orders requiring them to carry arms and weapons;
(2) Civil and law enforcement officers of the United States;
(3) Officers and soldiers of the militia and the National Guard when called into actual service;
(4) Officers of the State, or of any county, city, town, or company police agency charged with the execution of the laws of the State, when acting in the discharge of their official duties;
(5) Sworn law‑enforcement officers, when off‑duty, provided that an officer does not carry a concealed weapon while consuming alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance or while alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance remains in the officer's body.

sultan62

I'll update with a cite later when I have more time, but no, it will not stop LEOs from carrying. An extreme problem, IMO. Of course, I would never post such a sign against anyone, including LEOs. Furthermore, regarding the carry of weapons in bars/restaurants, this should be legal for everyone, not just LEOs. They should be required to abide by the same laws as the rest of us.

Smith45acp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=112VpXHe6F8

Officer kicked out of portland coffee shop because manager (owner?) doesn't like LEOs

I don't know the guy's story, maybe he's had one too many bad experiences with officers, maybe he's a dick. Regardless I do support his right to selectively choose his clientèle

Kind of related and interesting

Dreamer

ChiefJason,

The NCGS §14‑269.(b) exemptions, combined with LEOSA Federal exemptions give ALL sworn law enforcement officers total exemption from any state, local, or municipal carry restrictions. This is not a "gray area" at all. If you've got a badge, have been sworn in, and have the power of arrest, you can pretty much carry anywhere in NC, as long as you're not drunk or high.

Two sets of laws create two classes of people...

However, any property owner is PERFECTLY within their right to disallow the carrying of weapons of any sort on their private property.

This includes LEOs, unless they are in the process of serving a warrant or making an arrest--in other words actualy in the discharge of their duties. Getting a cup of coffee and a dozen glazed bear claws does NOT constitute "discharging one's duties". Neither do warrantless "knock and talks", or leisurely strolls through a business or private property.

You would be perfectly withing your rights to ask ANY person carrying a weapon to leave--EVEN a cop, as long as they were not in the operational performance of their duties and not actively engaged in "law enforcement".

But if you did such a thing, I'd expect the response time for any 911 calls made from your address to me measurable in days, not minutes...

Last edited:

smlawrence

I was just curious about how it would work. I wouldn't consider having a posting of that kind at any business but just wanted to picture it with the shoe on the other foot.

Kivuli

Yup. Ask a cop to leave and he/she has to abide by it just as anyone else does. Again, unless he/she is engaged in actual law enforcement duties.

merc460

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=112VpXHe6F8

Officer kicked out of portland coffee shop because manager (owner?) doesn't like LEOs

I don't know the guy's story, maybe he's had one too many bad experiences with officers, maybe he's a dick. Regardless I do support his right to selectively choose his clientèle

Kind of related and interesting

"A human being was humiliated." hmmmmph, I wonder if she would have said that about a person that was OC'ing????