• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How Long After Filing to Receive Your Michigan CPL? What County?

Eric D

How long did it take before you receive your CPL after filing for it and in what county?

Did you have to go in front of the board?

I tried to search this in the forum, but I kept getting this message, "Fatal error: Call to a member function can_search() on a non-object in /var/www/html/forums/packages/vbforum/search/result/forum.php on line 52"

TheQ

Many boards will issue it to you w/o question if there is nothing questionable about your criminal record.

Boards meet once per month, the day/date varies county by county.

In Ingham county I was issued a license 2.5 weeks after the board met. This too varied by county!

Bailenforcer

Interesting question. Now I have an impeccable not even a parking ticket. But our now former sheriff was known to be anti gun. Before the CPL law he plain wouldn't issue the CCW's unless there was some way he could make put on the deal, IE friends, or connected people. The rest of society here didn't get any. He was taken back when I moved here with a General and due to my travels I maintained a down State address for a while because I knew he wasn't issuing a renewal despite my Detective license. He gave me a world of crap over my Detective license as he doesn't like anyone with one in his county he doesn't know. For those who are unfamiliar with the Michigan History of Private investigators, they used to regularly investigate corrupt elected officials. So Good old King George felt threatened. My renewal under the new cpl laws required I took a class so I got a MCOLES instructor to give my class. Well King George the Sheriff of Charlevoix county couldn't deny me so instead he denied me via the instructor saying he isn't qualified enough. That started a war, lol. George didn't realize this was the guy who certifies his deputies. Needless to say after a almost 2 month wait and the Michigan State Police headquarters getting in Georges face I got my CPL. George retired shortly thereafter and we all live happily ever after lol. Chicago money kept George in office most everyone in the county hated him. The wealthy like Jon Bennets parents kept George fat and happy. This is the single most corrupt county Government in Michigan history in the opinions of many who live here.

How long did it take before you receive your CPL after filing for it and in what county?

Did you have to go in front of the board?

I tried to search this in the forum, but I kept getting this message, "Fatal error: Call to a member function can_search() on a non-object in /var/www/html/forums/packages/vbforum/search/result/forum.php on line 52"

Onnie

still waiting

i live in Monroe County, I put my application in around the 27th of August. I went to the next Gun Board meeting on September 16th, nothing had been returned from them yet from the Sheriffs department or the FBI fingerprints. Their next meeting is on the 21st of October, and Ill be at that meeting as well to see if they got the application and have reviewed it

I got a smudge on my record from back in 1981 that should not be a problem but i bet they will have questions, by going to each board meeting until I am on the adjenda I am hoping to cut out a 30 day delay by they having to contact me for answers of the 29 year old inicident

Golden Eagle

I paid my $105 August 11th. The Kalamazoo gun board met September 14th and I did Not appear. Got a letter to pickup my CPL on Saturday the 18th. Paid $3 more for laminating and given my CPL on Monday the 20th.
thumb.gif

TheQ

I paid my $105 August 11th. The Kalamazoo gun board met September 14th and I did Not appear. Got a letter to pickup my CPL on Saturday the 18th. Paid $3 more for laminating and given my CPL on Monday the 20th.
thumb.gif

Lamination is a thing of the past. Permit is credit card style now, much the same as DL.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
My understanding is this, don't go to the gun board meeting without a notification, unless you like sitting there and watching what happens. They will send you a card in the mail to let you know when to go, IF you go at all.

I got my CPL from Ingham County, where I live. Didn't have to attend any board meeting. I just got a card in the mail from the county clerk telling me I could pick up my CPL at their office.

detroit_fan

i live in Monroe County, I put my application in around the 27th of August. I went to the next Gun Board meeting on September 16th, nothing had been returned from them yet from the Sheriffs department or the FBI fingerprints. Their next meeting is on the 21st of October, and Ill be at that meeting as well to see if they got the application and have reviewed it

I got a smudge on my record from back in 1981 that should not be a problem but i bet they will have questions, by going to each board meeting until I am on the adjenda I am hoping to cut out a 30 day delay by they having to contact me for answers of the 29 year old inicident

Monroe was 69 days for me, this was march of 2009 though

jasonman17

isabella county

I put mine in first week of Sep, got a letter to go to gun board second tuesday of Oct, should get my permit that day.

NHCGRPR45

i had a CPL before the shall issue went into effect, and a CPL board meeting after the new law. since i lived in a Privledged county macomb who gave a ccw to just about anyone that wanted one, anyway i got the 3rd degree about why i wanted one.:mad: why i thought i may need one, had i ever had an incident that i thought i would need one blah blah blah basically a fishing session. the sheriff and prosecutor voted yes and the state police voted no:banghead:. state police was agaisnt ccw at that time but since you needed only 2 votes i got my cpl. start to finish 3 months

the second time i went before the board, was with the new law. i sat down, had my name verified, was asked why i wanted a CPL, i said self defense. they asked any particular reason mr. mcelroy? i said do you watch the news, he said yes and i said thats why:mad:. they all looked at each other, nodded heads and all voted yes.:monkey i picked up my cpl the next day.:rolleyes:
start to finish, 3 months 2 weeks.
i am in the renewal process right now so i am thinking maybe a smidge less time, but i had an "incident" so i will imo be seeing the "board members" frowning or smiling faces, pending on how the day goes.... :confused:

every county is diffrent and some counties have the DL type CPL, some still use the blue paper and picture type, again depends on where you live.

like einstein said "its all relative"

Bearhawk

Allegan County

Allegan County took about 3 weeks when I did mine earlier this year, 2010. It was nice as the county clerk just sent it to me in the mail. It's the blue paper version with one of my passport photos on it. I went to Meijer and got it laminated there.

Yooper

Not everyone is as high tech, perhaps? Esp. in the UP.

Hell, laminating technology is the newest, latest, and greatest thing up here!!

Houghton county issues the friday after the gun board meeting (last tuesday of the month). As long as you get your application dropped off in time for the background check to get done by the time of the gun board meeting, you'll have your permit 3 days later. Houghton county was one of those that granted permits prior to shall issue, because the sheriff wanted us to be able to protect ourselves when we went "downstate"

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
When I first applied, it was the same year Granholm took office. Everything had slowed down then, as I'm told she reduced the MSP staff that handled the state part of the CPL process, namely the background checks.

What had taken maybe 45-60 days under Engler, took 113 days, from start to finish under Granholm. My renewal, on the other hand, took 45 days. I never went before the Ingham County gun board.

jm62383

I put my application in on Aug 11th this year and mine was issued on Aug 24th, I was amazed. This was in Oakland county.