• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How Long After Filing to Receive Your Michigan CPL? What County?

Michigun

just a fyi about wayne county... I recently went with a friend to submit his cpl application at the Henry Ruff location on Monday only to find out they were closed. They had a bunch of closure dates listed on the door due to mandatory furlough. I checked the county website but found nothing. A google search found an old news article stating some offices of the county would be closed the first and third Monday of each month due to furlough.

Slider51

Kalamazoo County

I hadn't seen any current info on the wait in Kalamazoo county, so I thought I'd share this.

Here's all the steps and how long it took me to get my CPL in Kalamazoo County.

I took my CPL class on Saturday October 20, 2012.

The Kalamazoo County Gun Board meets on the second Tuesday of each month (November 13th in this case), so I didn't waste any time with the next steps.

Monday October 22 I filed the application with the Kalamazoo County Clerk and paid the $105 (plus $10 for the photo as the one I brought had a shadow in it they didn't like).

Next step was fingerprinting at the Kalamazoo Township Police Dept. I had heard that it was hard to get an appointment for this so I enlisted the help of a friend who is a retired KTP officer. One call and they said "come right down now"...that was Wednesday October 24. The woman who printed me said my permit would arrive in "4 to 6 weeks". As a side note, my wife is getting her CPL and two weeks after I got fingerprinted she made an appointment and it was only a 2-day wait (without a call from my buddy).

Tuesday November 13 - The Gun Board met.

Wednesday November 28 - I was getting impatient as it had been 15 days since the Gun Board met, and after all, with "shall issue" there was nothing to do but print and mail my license. I called the Kalamazoo County Clerk's office to check on the status and the lady said "those went out in today's mail".

Thursday November 29 Opened my mailbox, and there it was! Very nice plastic driver's license-type card.

So, from filing the application until I had my CPL was 37 days, or just over 5 weeks. Not too bad considering Thanksgiving fell in the waiting period.

Hope this helps anyone going through the process. The key is timing everything with the Gun Board meeting schedule. My wife filed everything just a week or so after me but her Gun Board meeting won't be until December 11 and with Christmas she may not get hers until ater Christmas or even early January.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raggs

Could you carry in those zones without a CPL before SB59? If not then how is a right lost? I would say nothing related to NON CPL OC has changed. And even that is not much of a right due to the Licence to Purchase requirement.

I was just going by what someone in a position of authority said about the bill during lunch in Lansing.

autosurgeon

And in your opinion open carry is not going to suffer?

Only in the sense that the few CPL holders that did OC in section 28 PFZ's will have to either get the training and CC there or not carry at all there. It will not effect 99% of the daily OC that goes on in the state. Do note that Section 750.234d PFZ's are not affected by this bill!

The only other issue is out of state Licencees will not be able to carry period in section 28 PFZ's

However I imagine that the number that did was less than .001% of the out of state OCers that carried in MI anyway.

I would rather the clause was not in the bill.. however just to get rid of the gun boards is a worthy reason to support this bill warts included. Many people have issues getting purchase permits so they try to get a CPL to get around that and then run into a multi month delay on the CPL. I would say the next thing to go after is registration if the current NRA backed bills on the subject fail. Then once Snyder is out of office we go after the OC carve out in the CC law.

Michael Smith

Washtenaw County

So I would assume since the approval process is run by the msp, it would be faster. That being said, I'm in washtenaw County and had the prints done on March 15 2016. Got the cpl in the mail on the 4th of April

Last edited: