Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1000 Feet from School Zone

1000 Feet from School Zone

Where does the 1000 feet off limit school zone start? Is it 1000 feet from the school building itself or from the property boundary of the school grounds?

Also, if you are on a businesses property which is not owned by yourself and is within a school zone, are you still able to OC on that businesses property?

McX
    terkeytoes..........i absolutely love that name! anyway; much wrangling has been had over where the zones start and stop. past threads have extensively dealt with the debate and decisions regarding this topic.
    on the other question, private property within a school zone is ok for carry, as long as the property owner allows it. but if asked to leave, you must leave immediately or face tresspass charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Terkeytoes View Post
    Where does the 1000 feet off limit school zone start? Is it 1000 feet from the school building itself or from the property boundary of the school grounds?

Also, if you are on a businesses property which is not owned by yourself and is within a school zone, are you still able to OC on that businesses property?
    The zone is 1000 feet from school grounds, not the school building itself.

Private property is not included in the "gun-free school zone" so it would be completely within the law to wear a gun across the street or next door to school grounds when one is on privately-owned property. Nothing in the law states that it has to be YOUR private property.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Banned
    Wouldn't it be a clever idea to get some people together and get some blue paint and start painting a blue line around a school to mark the GFSZ? Just think of the media attention this would get and the controversy it would stir when people who actually live inside the GFSZ realize they have less rights then those who live outside the zone.

McX
    a zone of darkness..............

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    a line of liability ..........

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    a zone of darkness..............
    Exactly, it has always been my experience that when you tell people they CANNOT do something they may want to do you will get their attention much faster then if you tell them they CAN do something.

For example, let say I purchase a piece of land that you have hunted on for years and I now tell you that you CANNOT hunt on the land. I, in your eyes have just become an arsehole and that does not sit very well with you now does it.

But if I purchase the land and either don't say anything about hunting or I tell you that you CAN hunt, you probably won't think much of it at all because you already knew you could hunt there.

The word Can't doesn't sit well with Americans and we need to use that in our favor.

McX
    expanding on the zone of darkness concept: term used in an original series star trek, where they entered a zone of darkness, and discovered that that zone of darkness had something hostile within it. and as spock said; i can not say what it is, but i can say it has found us. substitute it for criminal to make it fit the discussion here. i always call school zones zones of darkness for that reason. it provides cover to any criminal within it.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Wisconsin Stat 948.605 (Gun free school zone law.)
    Wisconsin Stat 948.61 (Other dangerous weapons in school. Needed for School definition.)
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Quote Originally Posted by J.Gleason View Post
    Wouldn't it be a clever idea to get some people together and get some blue paint and start painting a blue line around a school to mark the GFSZ? Just think of the media attention this would get and the controversy it would stir when people who actually live inside the GFSZ realize they have less rights then those who live outside the zone.
    yeah. except you'd be painting property that isn't yours

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    yeah. except you'd be painting property that isn't yours
    well for the private property we would have to get permission or use some blue plastic tape to mark the line across private property for the duration of the project.

You might be surprised to see how many people who would be interested in helping out on their property.

To be honest we wouldn't even have to do anything on anyones private property because private property is exempt.
    Last edited by J.Gleason; 10-06-2010 at 11:54 AM.

you'd need permission for public property as well. good luck

most jurisdictions would not be fond of citizens painting on public property, especially roads
    Last edited by swinokur; 10-06-2010 at 11:57 AM.

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX
    To be honest we wouldn't even have to do anything on anyones private property because private property is exempt.
    then that renders the entire act worthless for as they are on private property those laws no longer apply.

and you can't go painting blue lines on the street

Banned
    and you can't go painting blue lines on the street
    Could you please cite a statute for that?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX View Post
    then that renders the entire act worthless for as they are on private property those laws no longer apply.
    Are you going to walk across town by cutting through peoples yards?
    Your statement is pointless.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Why? States are only required to be in substantial conformance with the Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices, required by 23 USC 401. The state could adopt a further addendum to MUTCD.

Are you going to walk across town by cutting through peoples yards?
    Your statement is pointless.
    +1

Could you please cite a statute for that?
    i'm not going to cite 50 statutes but i recommend standing in the street of your choice and start painting blue lines. let us know what happens

. and by the way this thread has become pointless

Banned
    i'm not going to cite 50 statutes but i recommend standing in the street of your choice and start painting blue lines. let us know what happens

. and by the way this thread has become pointless
    Well there is where we disagree. First off I am a tax payer and I see no statute that says I am prohibited from painting a blue line across a street.

secondly, this thread isn't pointless, it makes a great point and that is that there are many people out there just like yourself that would rather sit by and do nothing and keep complaining simply because they are afraid that the police, that do not even understand the very laws they enforce, might come and get them.

Whats the matter? Afraid of the reaction you might get when the sheeple start to wake up and see what infringement looks like?

McX
    so the zone of darkness remains, undefined, unmarked, but there. at least until wisconsincarry's school zone lawsuit comes to pass. Bear in mind, in the interim, when you enter the zone of darkness, things may indeed be waiting for you there.

not at all. please explain how the sheeple will know what the blue line is for? most folks will think it's vandalism

pointless thread now...so moving on..

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    so the zone of darkness remains, undefined, unmarked, but there. at least until wisconsincarry's school zone lawsuit comes to pass. Bear in mind, in the interim, when you enter the zone of darkness, things may indeed be waiting for you there.
    look for the blue line.. works in all 50 states..

You'd probably be hit with graffiti charges though. How about some sidewalk chalk?

you'd need permission for public property as well. good luck

most jurisdictions would not be fond of citizens painting on public property, especially roads
    Permission to carry or to paint? I assume you mean paint since your second sentence deals with that.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Banned
    There will always be those who argue against progress.

The sheeple would know what it is all about because the media would more than likely be there.

And I am sure we could find plenty of blue chalk or paint that is safe for the environment.

Definition of VANDALISM

: willful or malicious destruction or defacement of public or private property

How does one deface a roadway? Besides if you mark the inside for GFSZ then the mark has a purpose and is not vandalism. The same way the utility companies mark for Gas or Water. they don't own the roads either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast