• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1000 Feet from School Zone

Terkeytoes

Where does the 1000 feet off limit school zone start? Is it 1000 feet from the school building itself or from the property boundary of the school grounds?

Also, if you are on a businesses property which is not owned by yourself and is within a school zone, are you still able to OC on that businesses property?

M

McX

terkeytoes..........i absolutely love that name! anyway; much wrangling has been had over where the zones start and stop. past threads have extensively dealt with the debate and decisions regarding this topic.
on the other question, private property within a school zone is ok for carry, as long as the property owner allows it. but if asked to leave, you must leave immediately or face tresspass charges.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Where does the 1000 feet off limit school zone start? Is it 1000 feet from the school building itself or from the property boundary of the school grounds?

Also, if you are on a businesses property which is not owned by yourself and is within a school zone, are you still able to OC on that businesses property?

The zone is 1000 feet from school grounds, not the school building itself.

Private property is not included in the "gun-free school zone" so it would be completely within the law to wear a gun across the street or next door to school grounds when one is on privately-owned property. Nothing in the law states that it has to be YOUR private property.

J.Gleason

Banned
Wouldn't it be a clever idea to get some people together and get some blue paint and start painting a blue line around a school to mark the GFSZ? Just think of the media attention this would get and the controversy it would stir when people who actually live inside the GFSZ realize they have less rights then those who live outside the zone.

J.Gleason

Banned
a zone of darkness..............

Exactly, it has always been my experience that when you tell people they CANNOT do something they may want to do you will get their attention much faster then if you tell them they CAN do something.

For example, let say I purchase a piece of land that you have hunted on for years and I now tell you that you CANNOT hunt on the land. I, in your eyes have just become an arsehole and that does not sit very well with you now does it.

But if I purchase the land and either don't say anything about hunting or I tell you that you CAN hunt, you probably won't think much of it at all because you already knew you could hunt there.

The word Can't doesn't sit well with Americans and we need to use that in our favor.

M

McX

expanding on the zone of darkness concept: term used in an original series star trek, where they entered a zone of darkness, and discovered that that zone of darkness had something hostile within it. and as spock said; i can not say what it is, but i can say it has found us. substitute it for criminal to make it fit the discussion here. i always call school zones zones of darkness for that reason. it provides cover to any criminal within it.

swinokur

Activist Member
Wouldn't it be a clever idea to get some people together and get some blue paint and start painting a blue line around a school to mark the GFSZ? Just think of the media attention this would get and the controversy it would stir when people who actually live inside the GFSZ realize they have less rights then those who live outside the zone.

yeah. except you'd be painting property that isn't yours

J.Gleason

Banned
yeah. except you'd be painting property that isn't yours

well for the private property we would have to get permission or use some blue plastic tape to mark the line across private property for the duration of the project.

You might be surprised to see how many people who would be interested in helping out on their property.

To be honest we wouldn't even have to do anything on anyones private property because private property is exempt.

Last edited:

swinokur

Activist Member
you'd need permission for public property as well. good luck

most jurisdictions would not be fond of citizens painting on public property, especially roads

Last edited:
X

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX

To be honest we wouldn't even have to do anything on anyones private property because private property is exempt.

then that renders the entire act worthless for as they are on private property those laws no longer apply.

J.Gleason

Banned
i'm not going to cite 50 statutes but i recommend standing in the street of your choice and start painting blue lines. let us know what happens

. and by the way this thread has become pointless

Well there is where we disagree. First off I am a tax payer and I see no statute that says I am prohibited from painting a blue line across a street.

secondly, this thread isn't pointless, it makes a great point and that is that there are many people out there just like yourself that would rather sit by and do nothing and keep complaining simply because they are afraid that the police, that do not even understand the very laws they enforce, might come and get them.

Whats the matter? Afraid of the reaction you might get when the sheeple start to wake up and see what infringement looks like?