• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1000 Feet from School Zone

M

McX

so the zone of darkness remains, undefined, unmarked, but there. at least until wisconsincarry's school zone lawsuit comes to pass. Bear in mind, in the interim, when you enter the zone of darkness, things may indeed be waiting for you there.

swinokur

Activist Member
not at all. please explain how the sheeple will know what the blue line is for? most folks will think it's vandalism

pointless thread now...so moving on..

swinokur

Activist Member
so the zone of darkness remains, undefined, unmarked, but there. at least until wisconsincarry's school zone lawsuit comes to pass. Bear in mind, in the interim, when you enter the zone of darkness, things may indeed be waiting for you there.

look for the blue line.. works in all 50 states..

protias

Wouldn't it be a clever idea to get some people together and get some blue paint and start painting a blue line around a school to mark the GFSZ? Just think of the media attention this would get and the controversy it would stir when people who actually live inside the GFSZ realize they have less rights then those who live outside the zone.

You'd probably be hit with graffiti charges though. How about some sidewalk chalk? :D

you'd need permission for public property as well. good luck

most jurisdictions would not be fond of citizens painting on public property, especially roads

Permission to carry or to paint? I assume you mean paint since your second sentence deals with that.

J.Gleason

Banned
There will always be those who argue against progress.

The sheeple would know what it is all about because the media would more than likely be there.

And I am sure we could find plenty of blue chalk or paint that is safe for the environment.

Definition of VANDALISM

: willful or malicious destruction or defacement of public or private property

How does one deface a roadway? Besides if you mark the inside for GFSZ then the mark has a purpose and is not vandalism. The same way the utility companies mark for Gas or Water. they don't own the roads either.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
I have likely spent hundreds of hours (12 days x 8 hours/day) painting state and county highways with bicycle routing marks, never with a problem from the state or county. My wife and I put on a number of 'Fall Century' bicycle rides and helped with many more. I bought street paint by the case.

X

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX

Wouldn't it be a clever idea to get some people together and get some blue paint and start painting a blue line around a school to mark the GFSZ? Just think of the media attention this would get and the controversy it would stir when people who actually live inside the GFSZ realize they have less rights then those who live outside the zone.

Are you going to walk across town by cutting through peoples yards?
Your statement is pointless.

Correct me if im wrong, but arent you implying that by painting a line through a gfsz it will show those who live within that gfsz they have lost some rights, it seems to me so long as they are within the limits of their property they have not lost any right. Hence no point in painting a line. I thought you were showing lost rights of those who live their and not the person passing by like myself.

Last edited:

J.Gleason

Banned
Correct me if im wrong, but arent you implying that by painting a line through a gfsz it will show those who live within that gfsz they have lost some rights, it seems to me so long as they are within the limits of their property they have not lost any right. Hence no point in painting a line. I thought you were showing lost rights of those who live their and not the person passing by like myself.

It was meant for those who live within the zone or pass through the zone in transit. If you are not on private property you are not exempt and that includes the road and the sidewalk.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Let me fix that for you.......
The Commerce Clause has been ABUSED for protecting rights (Civil Rights Act of 1964) and taking rights (GFSZ). Glad to see the Supreme Court setting limits on its use lately.

http://topics.law.cornell.edu/wex/commerce_clause

Did you read the other link you provided? Just how do you define "lately". Your previous link has later information which shows that they aren't really setting any limits unless you count a "technicality".

A great last hope (as far as the courts go) are the various firearms freedom acts that have been passed in a few states. We'll see how the courts decide in the years to come.

Last edited:

AaronS

There will always be those who argue against progress.

The sheeple would know what it is all about because the media would more than likely be there.

And I am sure we could find plenty of blue chalk or paint that is safe for the environment.

Definition of VANDALISM

: willful or malicious destruction or defacement of public or private property

How does one deface a roadway? Besides if you mark the inside for GFSZ then the mark has a purpose and is not vandalism. The same way the utility companies mark for Gas or Water. they don't own the roads either.

I agree with your idea 100%. I would think if it were a law, that the Government would have made the call, and put down some lines for us, to keep me out of jail (like the school crossing signs I see all the time)... So without any real way for me to spot check how far from all of the schools I am, I have no real way to not be caught in one (Milwaukee)...
I do not carry maps around with me, and do not think I am going to start, so I am all in on the "blue" zone paint. I love MCXs' idea of a "black zone", but I think it might be real hard to see the paint...

AaronS

Well you asked for a correction if you were wrong, so I thought I would give it a try... You are wrong...

I have to cross my street to get my mail. No law made can, or will stop me from protecting myself, ANYTIME I FEEL THE NEED. Self protection is YOUR RIGHT.
So if I were to live close to a school, what right have I lost? I would not be "able" to carry for protection, that IS a right lost.
If you let the "gun free school zones" stand, what will be next? How about gun free government building zones? Ya 1000' from a government building of any kind... Oh, and could we get a gun free public bus zone? 1000' from any public transportation. And just to make us all better people, 1000' from any bar... And you say "no rights lost"??? What will it take?

Now, this one is for all of us.
I do not care who you WANT to blame for the GFSZ issue. Bush 1,or 2, FDR, JFK???
Now be honest, all of us, it was YOUR fault. It was my fault. We let it happen. It was us, not them...
If we don't get off our butts and stop this kind of thing, it will only happen again (much like the post 9-11 laws).

pahleh

Is a sidewalk private property?

The city replaced my sidewalk several years ago and put the cost of replacement on my property tax bill. Do I therefore own it and is it considered private property for the purpose of open carry?

protias

The city replaced my sidewalk several years ago and put the cost of replacement on my property tax bill. Do I therefore own it and is it considered private property for the purpose of open carry?
No, it is still public.

Terkeytoes

Its considered part of the right of way, a neighboring village put water and sewer lines in my parents front yard, keep in mind they arent a part of the village and have their own well and septic tank and arent hooked up to the village water or sewer lines, but they were installed in their right of way when the village took over the road.

Krusty

Gfsz

It amuses me to think of so many people that think they "must" live near a school. Now they find out that they cannot load up and walk down the street for whatever lawful purpose they want. But John Q. Citizen that lives 1/2 mile away can legally do that. It just ain't fair.:D:D

GlockRDH

Hmmm....1000'...thats a large circle. The small town i live near, Pardeeville, has 2 public school facilities and a private school factility...There arent many parts of the town that are more than 1000' away from the school....Theoretically, i cant park my car on Main street, holster up and walk to Kwik Trip then to the local gun shop WITHOUT being in violation. This law is proving to be almost unenforceable. Im sure alot of small towns in WI could fit into this same situation.