• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why I carry...

HvyMtl

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=13248024

Scary, isn't it? Police in Nashville are focused on traffic enforcement - and, it seems, the Officers are forced to focus on stops, rather than serving the public. So. That 9-1-1 call? Yeah, well the Officer may show up. It may take literally HOURS, but they will show, eventually.

All the more reason to carry. The Officers will not get there. (Not their fault, it is the administration, not the Officers.)

suntzu

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=13248024

Scary, isn't it? Police in Nashville are focused on traffic enforcement - and, it seems, the Officers are forced to focus on stops, rather than serving the public. So. That 9-1-1 call? Yeah, well the Officer may show up. It may take literally HOURS, but they will show, eventually.

All the more reason to carry. The Officers will not get there. (Not their fault, it is the administration, not the Officers.)

you should not be willing to trust your safety or the safety of your family to anyone who does not have a direct personal stake in whether you (or they) go home tonight. If something happened to me tonight yes the police will come out eventually, but after they are done they would just move on to the next call while leaving my family to pick up the pieces--sounds cold but that is the way that it is--they have no personal stake in your safety, or whether you go home, none.

So it is that I trust my safety only to my God and my self, because I have the responsibility to keep myself safe--no one else does. The police are not body guards--they are corporate employees who by and large tend to enforce their personal opinion and making things up as they go along instead of enforcing the law as it stands.

HvyMtl

Reality is, they would investigate the homicide, and call the coroner.

Reality is, there is a foolish majority who believe the Cops have the responsibility to protect (proven to be completely untrue by the courts.)

Reality is, there is a foolish majority who think by calling the Cops, the Cops will get there quickly and intervene.

But, their beliefs and reality do not match.

This is why I carry: It is my responsibility to protect my family and myself. As the MNPD are not capable of aiding in my protection. They will show up, and investigate, a few hours later...

Use this article, and show the Anti's how their belief, the Police can serve and protect, is terribly wrong...

Last edited:

kwikrnu

Banned
This is why I carry: It is my responsibility to protect my family and myself. As the MNPD are not capable of aiding in my protection. They will show up, and investigate, a few hours later...

Use this article, and show the Anti's how their belief, the Police can serve and protect, is terribly wrong...

I count you as an anti because of comments you have previously made.

It is my responsibility and right to carry a handgun to defend myself and family. I have been denied the right to carry forever even though I meet all requirements to possess a handgun carry permit.

HvyMtl

Oh, what posts have I made which were anti?

The posts where I stated I did not like your seemingly blatant disregard for the safety of the general public around you? Safety, which is the responsibility of those who carry, to ensure no harm comes to the public? The posts where I asked simple questions and you chose not to answer? The viewpoint where a simple discussion could have done more, and civilly, than aggressively challenging a law?

The posts where I discussed the way the present law is, where it is a privilege, by law, to carry? Even if said law may be opposed to the 2nd A?

Now, if you answer these questions, perhaps I will change my mind on how you behaved.
What specific steps did you take in the Radnor Lake event, and in the Belle Meade event, where you took into consideration the safety of the general public, the hikers and walkers around you, in your actions?

To clarify: What safety steps did you take, to ensure the hikers and walkers around you would not be in harm's way, in case you were stopped by armed police, as you intended?

Did you, or did you not, carry in the Brentwood Tennessee Public Library, a location which has been designated "gun free" since before permit carry existed?

I understand the want to re-expand the rights granted in the 2nd A. I also understand, as a gun owner, I have to be safe for myself and those around me.

I am curious as to your answers. Will you answer or just claim me to be anti?

(Something you hate, and repeatedly posted you hate, on this forum, is the name calling, and the labeling of you. Yet you label me an anti - you cannot have it both ways...)

Last edited:

kwikrnu

Banned
Oh, what posts have I made which were anti?

The posts where I stated I did not like your seemingly blatant disregard for the safety of the general public around you? Safety, which is the responsibility of those who carry, to ensure no harm comes to the public? The posts where I asked simple questions and you chose not to answer? The viewpoint where a simple discussion could have done more, and civilly, than aggressively challenging a law?

The posts where I discussed the way the present law is, where it is a privilege, by law, to carry? Even if said law may be opposed to the 2nd A?

Now, if you answer these questions, perhaps I will change my mind on how you behaved.
What specific steps did you take in the Radnor Lake event, and in the Belle Meade event, where you took into consideration the safety of the general public, the hikers and walkers around you, in your actions?

To clarify: What safety steps did you take, to ensure the hikers and walkers around you would not be in harm's way, in case you were stopped by armed police, as you intended?

Did you, or did you not, carry in the Brentwood Tennessee Public Library, a location which has been designated "gun free" since before permit carry existed?

I understand the want to re-expand the rights granted in the 2nd A. I also understand, as a gun owner, I have to be safe for myself and those around me.

I am curious as to your answers. Will you answer or just claim me to be anti?

(Something you hate, and repeatedly posted you hate, on this forum, is the name calling, and the labeling of you. Yet you label me an anti - you cannot have it both ways...)

Carrying a handgun is not unsafe.

Unconstitutional law is not valid from its inception.

HvyMtl

UnConstitutional Law is invalid at its inception, but is fully enforced until proven UnConstitutional.

And in many cases, the law's impact for being enforced is not corrected, even after the law is found UnConstitutional...

So, what did you do in the Radnor Lake event, and the Belle Meade event, to ensure the safety of the police, yourself, and the innocent bystander?

Remember, it is not the responsibility of the police, and the innocent bystander, to ensure your actions are safe. The responsibility falls on you. When you carry, you better make sure your actions do not create an unsafe environment for you, the police, and the innocent bystander.

kwikrnu

Banned
UnConstitutional Law is invalid at its inception, but is fully enforced until proven UnConstitutional.

And in many cases, the law's impact for being enforced is not corrected, even after the law is found UnConstitutional...

So, what did you do in the Radnor Lake event, and the Belle Meade event, to ensure the safety of the police, yourself, and the innocent bystander?

Remember, it is not the responsibility of the police, and the innocent bystander, to ensure your actions are safe. The responsibility falls on you. When you carry, you better make sure your actions do not create an unsafe environment for you, the police, and the innocent bystander.

I wasn't the one pointing guns, assaulting, arresting, detaining, and battering people. It was the cops. Contact the State and ask why they felt it necessary to put the public in harms way due to their reckless and illegal behavior.

HvyMtl

But for your actions, those officers would not have reacted, or overreacted...

The "but for" is quite important. And you have answered my question, by not answering... Which means, No, you did not take into account the safety of anyone, but, perhaps yourself, when carrying...

And my criticism on how you prepared to go out and carry at Radnor or in Belle Meade still stands.

Yes, I believe you intended to have the police respond to you for both situations, or you would not have chosen the firearm you carried, painted the tip of the barrel orange, and had a tape recorder. I also do not believe you would have gone to the trouble of buying a reproduction 1860's revolver to carry in your hand. Yet, you did not take into consideration the police response, the general public's response, and the safety of either group in your course of action.

The "not taking into consideration the safety of others" is the issue I have with your actions... Not that it was legal, or illegal, or sane or not. You did not act safely. A gun is not a toy, even if you paint it like one. Be more responsible for your actions, the next time. Your unsafe actions placed others in jeopardy, and could have led to some scary events...

That is all I have issue with. Not Second A issues, but responsibility for safety issues...

kwikrnu

Banned
But for your actions, those officers would not have reacted, or overreacted...

The "but for" is quite important. And you have answered my question, by not answering... Which means, No, you did not take into account the safety of anyone, but, perhaps yourself, when carrying...

And my criticism on how you prepared to go out and carry at Radnor or in Belle Meade still stands.

Yes, I believe you intended to have the police respond to you for both situations, or you would not have chosen the firearm you carried, painted the tip of the barrel orange, and had a tape recorder. I also do not believe you would have gone to the trouble of buying a reproduction 1860's revolver to carry in your hand. Yet, you did not take into consideration the police response, the general public's response, and the safety of either group in your course of action.

The "not taking into consideration the safety of others" is the issue I have with your actions... Not that it was legal, or illegal, or sane or not. You did not act safely. A gun is not a toy, even if you paint it like one. Be more responsible for your actions, the next time. Your unsafe actions placed others in jeopardy, and could have led to some scary events...

That is all I have issue with. Not Second A issues, but responsibility for safety issues...

If I walk down the street and the cops arrest me for legally walking down the street am I responsible for the cops illegal behavior? No, I'm not. I should not have been stopped. I should not have been threatened. I should not have been arrested/detained. I did not create an unsafe environment. If one was created it was the product of illegal cop behavior.