• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Will not renew membership

eye95

I received this in a letter the other day.

"Dear David:
Your Second Ammendment rights are in grave danger. This is because some NRA supporters like you have not renewed your memberships."

This sort of 'it's all your fault, guilt tripy writting is why I don't renew my NRA membership.

David

I got a letter today too.

"Dear eye95:
Your ability to survive and thrive in grave danger. That is because citizens like you voted for them instead of us."

Only this letter came from Obama, Reid, and Pelosi.

I guess we are too stupid to watch out for ourselves. And grass-roots can't save us. If it weren't for big government or big lobbies, we'd be helpless.

Deacon Blues

"Your ability to survive and thrive in grave danger. That is because citizens like you voted for them instead of us."
I don't think living in one room with 19 of my comrades counts as thriving. Only the government dime crowd could possibly take these moonbats seriously.

Daylen

I got a letter today too.

"Dear eye95:
Your ability to survive and thrive in grave danger. That is because citizens like you voted for them instead of us."

Only this letter came from Obama, Reid, and Pelosi.

I guess we are too stupid to watch out for ourselves. And grass-roots can't save us. If it weren't for big government or big lobbies, we'd be helpless.

you imply NRA is big lobby and not big govt, why? They are as much a private entity as Fanny may or Freddie mac.

wrightme

It is one thing to be cautious but to intentionally try to and sabotage the case because they felt that way crosses the line plain and simple. Yet in the end they act all buddy buddy with the Heller team and publicly respond like they were always behind the case. If you ask them about how they treated the Heller case they will not talk about it or they give you a "we always supported that case." nonsense. And recently they tried to get themselves exempt while leaving the rest of the gun rights community on their own while watching out for just for their own org. speak volumes. As for it being a close call, I am reminded of a cheese movie line....It does not matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winnings winning.
Cite? That is FUD.

Daylen

Cite? That is FUD.

search for "campaign finance nra exemption" and you will get plenty of sources. I'm not sure if that law ever made it through both houses though. If it didn't make it into law I'd say NRA deserves some credit because when they got an exemption many other organizations lobbied for the same and things became a bit of a boondoggle.

wrightme

search for "campaign finance nra exemption" and you will get plenty of sources. I'm not sure if that law ever made it through both houses though. If it didn't make it into law I'd say NRA deserves some credit because when they got an exemption many other organizations lobbied for the same and things became a bit of a boondoggle.

I am quite familiar with the claims. They are unfounded. It wasn't an exemption presented by the NRA. It was an exemption for organizations based upon size and length of time as an org. Groups who were against the NRA painted it falsely as if the NRA asked for and received something. They didn't. Groups who were against the NRA painted it falsely as if the NRA then supported DISCLOSE. They didn't. They STILL were against DISCLOSE after the claimed NRA exemption.

Last edited:

TFred

I am quite familiar with the claims. They are unfounded. It wasn't an exemption presented by the NRA. It was an exemption for organizations based upon size and length of time as an org. Groups who were against the NRA painted it falsely as if the NRA asked for and received something. They didn't. Groups who were against the NRA painted it falsely as if the NRA then supported DISCLOSE. They didn't. They STILL were against DISCLOSE after the claimed NRA exemption.
I'm sorry, your assertion here is simply incorrect, and not according to any biased media, but directly from the press release of the NRA-ILA:

We told Congress we opposed the bill. Consequently, congressional leaders announced they would exempt us from its draconian restrictions on political speech. If that happens, we will not be involved in final consideration of this bill in the House. If it doesn’t, we will strongly oppose the bill.

Emphasis added by me for your convenience. NRA sold the rest of the grass-roots organizations down the river. I am still a member because a) it was cheaper than free with a BassPro Shop promotion, and b) I think they do more good than harm. But that balance is getting closer and closer to zero with every little stunt like this that they pull.

TFred

wrightme

I'm sorry, your assertion here is simply incorrect, and not according to any biased media, but directly from the press release of the NRA-ILA:

Emphasis added by me for your convenience. NRA sold the rest of the grass-roots organizations down the river. I am still a member because a) it was cheaper than free with a BassPro Shop promotion, and b) I think they do more good than harm. But that balance is getting closer and closer to zero with every little stunt like this that they pull.

TFred
There is the false portion of your viewpoint. And they DID stay opposed to the bill, semantics aside. And, they ARE a single-issue organization.

My statement stands. They WERE still against the bill. They did NOT side with the bill. To claim that they were not against the bill is simply false.

Now, on a related thought experiment, and not to agree with your claims, but think of it this way if you will.

Place yourself in the shoes of the NRA for a second, and knowing how these other gun rights groups portray you at every turn to attempt to bolster their own memberships at the expense of the membership numbers of the NRA; would you even for a second feel guilt at not supporting them? I do not believe this is how the NRA operates, but seriously, the other groups do send that message, with the sole intent to gain numbers at the NRA's expense.

But, from the link you provide:
The NRA is a non-partisan, single-issue organization made up of millions of individual members dedicated to the protection of the Second Amendment. We do not represent the interests of other organizations. That’s their responsibility. Our responsibility is to protect and defend the interests of our members. And that we do without apology.

Last edited:

TFred

There is the false portion of your viewpoint. And they DID stay opposed to the bill, semantics aside. And, they ARE a single-issue organization.

My statement stands. They WERE still against the bill. They did NOT side with the bill. To claim that they were not against the bill is simply false.

Now, on a related thought experiment, and not to agree with your claims, but think of it this way if you will.

Place yourself in the shoes of the NRA for a second, and knowing how these other gun rights groups portray you at every turn to attempt to bolster their own memberships at the expense of the membership numbers of the NRA; would you even for a second feel guilt at not supporting them? I do not believe this is how the NRA operates, but seriously, the other groups do send that message, with the sole intent to gain numbers at the NRA's expense.
I'm sure you won't take the time to do this, but should you read some of my previous posts in the Virginia thread, I took a very pro-NRA stance on their one-issue status and all the unfortunate side-effects that come with such a narrow view. I pointed out that the diversity of their endorsements revealed that pro-gun viewpoints were spreading across ideological boundaries, and that this was a good thing, even if it was unpleasant at times. I believe I have a pretty good understanding of their thinking.

Having said that, "we will not be involved" is pretty clearly not "still against the bill". Their words, not mine. Neither for, nor against.

In any event, I suspect we are closer in thought than you might think, but they are what they are. I'm not going to argue against what they have said about it themselves.

TFred

since9

Campaign Veteran
Again it is simple stand with the millions of gun owners and support and back cases like HELLER to give it every chance of the court to rule in our favor for gun owners. If you don't believe in the case instead of causing problems like they did with heller STAY THE HELL OUT OF OUR WAY.

Agreed.

The last few years the NRA and other groups have shown their true faces and its not to protect all gun owners rights. Its about $$$$$$.

That's been my perspective.

I received this in a letter the other day.

"Dear David:
Your Second Ammendment rights are in grave danger. This is because some NRA supporters like you have not renewed your memberships."

This sort of 'it's all your fault, guilt tripy writting is why I don't renew my NRA membership.

David

Interestingly, I was a member of the NRA for only two years, from 1990-1992. During that time, they morphed from an organization which appeared genuinely concerned with fighting for my 2A rights to an organization more concerned with ensuring I remained a paying member, preferrably one who elevated to lifetime membership, and gave extra contributions on top of that.

I believe it was in the Fall of 1991, or the early Spring of 1992, when letters like the one you shared here, David, began arriving in the mail, and it wasn't not afterwards that I dropped my membership.

I'm not sure what changed at that time, but I noticed the same sudden switch in another organization, AOPA (Airplane Owners and Pilots' Association), a few years back. Despite the fact that the orgnization was growing, along with its influence, their tone became almost desparate.

The one thing I noticed in common with the NRA's earlier departure was a serious increase in various "programs." They were created with good intentions in both cases. However, they also involved programs with lesser returns given their costs. It was almost as if the focus of both organizations changed from remaining within budget and adjusting expenditures to match, to attempting to fund any good idea which came along and adjusting income to match.

I find this very similar to a certain party's approach to government spending. To his credit, however, although Wayne LaPierre, who took the reigns of the NRA back in 1991, worked in Democratic circles (as a legislative aide to a Democratic Virginia Delegate Vic Thomas), before joining the NRA, he also actively campaigned against Democrat John Kerry due to the latter's authoring and support of gun control legislation.

wrightme

Did you read that article? It actually supports my views nicely, thank you.

"Changing the language was done in recognition that folks thought this was just for the NRA. The reality is 500,000 is still a high bar to meet, but it also recognizes that there are groups with a longstanding history of doing legitimate good work
It has been reported that the NRA drove this change. The actual information available doesn't support that claim. It only supports a claim that the bill might have been rewritten with the intent of exempting the NRA, but it doesn't support any claim that the NRA actively worked to carve out an exemption.

Last edited:

shotcop

The NRA has become like AARP, in it for themselves, not the members. I'm too young to belong to one but left the other after several years. Even had memberships for my kids back when I was more naive. Anyone know much about JPFO? I'm not jewish but believe they might know a thing or two about the dangers of disarmament

zack991

Anyone know much about JPFO? I'm not jewish but believe they might know a thing or two about the dangers of disarmament

"There is no doubt in my mind that millions of lives could have been saved if the people were not "brainwashed" about gun ownership and had been well armed. ... Gun haters always want to forget the Warsaw Ghetto uprising, which is a perfect example of how a ragtag, half-starved group of Jews took 10 handguns and made asses out of the Nazis."

-Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Sonora Rebel

NRA has become all about business... and they've lost their compass. I'll prob'ly miss National Rifleman... which had become the sole reason for my contunued membership. I hope the NRA big-wigs peruse these forums... but I doubt it makes any difference in the long-run. Organizations only exist because of their members... including this one. I carry a gun because AZ recognizes the pre-existing right to do so, not because of the NRA. 'Many places it's not... and I see very little the NRA has ever done ot intends to do about it. Why should I care? Well... because I'm an American... and believe in equal protection... that the Constitution applies equally, everywhere. Denial of the 2A is tyranny. The permit system is tyranny. 'Shall Issue' is acceptance of that tyranny. 'Til I see the NRA beating the "Rights Cannot Be Issued' drum... I will not support the NRA.

hornett22

Used to be a card carrying NRA member.

Haven't been in years.There are too many real 2nd Ame. groups out there that care and are really trying to make a difference. Like GOA.

I'm a raging homophobe and I would join The Pink Pistols before I joined the NRA again.