• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in Flowood

Cornelius

I've been go awhile but it feels good to be back and among fellow carriers. Anyway I have spent the day reading over the more recent post and I was wondering if anyone has encountered the problem(s) that I have. I have been stopped several times in Flowood by the local LEOs and each time no ticket was given because I wasnt breaking any laws. *Go figure* So during the line of "questioning" if thats what you want to call it, the officer asked if I had a weapon in the car and I said yes. Even showed my CWP without being asked to place the officer at ease of his safety. After this he asked where my gun was and to unload it. I complied to further place the officer at ease and for his "safety". Once I unloaded the weapon the officer asked for it and I asked why and he said to check the serial number. I asked why he felt the need to do so and he informed me it was to make sure it wasnt stolen. Unhappily I complied and he returned with my gun and placed it on the backseat. This has happened twice by two seperate officers, so I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has endured this treatment in Flowood?

Daylen

You might want to look up the laws governing concealed carry laws in MS and see what is required of you. I suspect you gave up rights in that interaction. Mainly by submitting the firearm to have the Serial number checked.

Cornelius

Well I know that i gave up my rights when I submitted the gun, but its not like I/you/anyone has much of an option at the time when an officer asks for your gun. Refuse and they find a reason to detain you "at the station", have your car towed to their lot and search it; therefore its still ran. So simply submitting is the easier/least expensive way to handle the problem. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem in Flowood. Also I found out the hard way that Malaco Theatre in Madison doesnt allow CC/OC so I wont be patronizing their facilty anymore. *oh well as I smirk and roll my eyes*

robbyw

I've been go awhile but it feels good to be back and among fellow carriers. Anyway I have spent the day reading over the more recent post and I was wondering if anyone has encountered the problem(s) that I have. I have been stopped several times in Flowood by the local LEOs and each time no ticket was given because I wasnt breaking any laws. *Go figure* So during the line of "questioning" if thats what you want to call it, the officer asked if I had a weapon in the car and I said yes. Even showed my CWP without being asked to place the officer at ease of his safety. After this he asked where my gun was and to unload it. I complied to further place the officer at ease and for his "safety". Once I unloaded the weapon the officer asked for it and I asked why and he said to check the serial number. I asked why he felt the need to do so and he informed me it was to make sure it wasnt stolen. Unhappily I complied and he returned with my gun and placed it on the backseat. This has happened twice by two seperate officers, so I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has endured this treatment in Flowood?

I had a gulfport police ask me why i was opencarrying . I showed him my cc carry pormit ,he did not ask to see my gun than he said have a nice day and left

DCKilla

I have been over this with my wife many times. You don't have to answer any questions you don't want to answer. Also, you don't have to offer anything voluntarily. It's pretty simple and straight forward. If the officer want's it bad enough he'll get it. Never ever give up your 2nd, 4th, and 5th amendment rights. You need to know the law about carrying in a car, MS Code 97-37-1.

To answer your question, no, I've never endured treatment like that from the FPD.

Last edited:

Cornelius

I have been over this with my wife many times. You don't have to answer any questions you don't want to answer. Also, you don't have to offer anything voluntarily. It's pretty simple and straight forward. If the officer want's it bad enough he'll get it. Never ever give up your 2nd, 4th, and 5th amendment rights. You need to know the law about carrying in a car, MS Code 97-37-1.

To answer your question, no, I've never endured treatment like that from the FPD.

I understand everything you are saying DC, but when it comes to being a black male in Flowood on a dark road with no witnesses I like to play it safe. Now don't take my previous statement the wrong way, I'm merely stating that the color of my skin does play a major role in the way I'm treated by some people and when you add in a CC Permit it only increases the chances for things to not go smoothly. But my grandfather served in the War so that I could keep my rights and I'm going to continue to exercise them. Maybe by me not giving up it will help educate LEO's on what the law is, and that not every black male with a gun is a threat. :)

DCKilla

I understand everything you are saying DC, but when it comes to being a black male in Flowood on a dark road with no witnesses I like to play it safe. Now don't take my previous statement the wrong way, I'm merely stating that the color of my skin does play a major role in the way I'm treated by some people and when you add in a CC Permit it only increases the chances for things to not go smoothly. But my grandfather served in the War so that I could keep my rights and I'm going to continue to exercise them. Maybe by me not giving up it will help educate LEO's on what the law is, and that not every black male with a gun is a threat. :)
Get yourself a good voice recorder. Walmart sells some pretty good ones for a reasonable price. I don't like to see anyone jacked around by the police. Let the recorder be your witness.

Daylen

Giving up essential liberty for a little perceived security will grant you neither.

Be free, and be careful.