• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mississippi State Fair, Jackson, MS

DCKilla

Has anyone OC or CC at this event in Jackson, MS? The state owns the fair grounds. I haven't found anything prohibiting carrying firearms in MS Code. Since, "parks" was removed from 45-9-101 it won't be a problem. Do you guys agree with my conclusion?

aadvark

If you have a Permit..., then, it would seem to me that you are OK.
Do not forget your Permit though..., because; I would sure hate to see that you are one of those 'Concealed in part' Carriers.
... as if Mississpians' do not know what a Pistol is when they see one!?

*** I am being Sarcastic. ***

Last edited:

DCKilla

I scoped out the fair during it's free admission happy hour type deal. I was CC just to do some recon work for the folks here and myself. To put it bluntly, holy crap, there was a LEO almost everytime I turn around. It's not like it's a bad thing, but quite odd. There were no signs or rules posted prohibiting firearm possession. If you OC expect LEO encounters there. It's in the coliseum parking lot if that means anything. I still think it's state property, but will try to find out for sure some how.

Update: MDAC Website

http://www.mdac.state.ms.us/n_library/departments/fair_com/index_fair.html

Last edited:

DCKilla

My friend, a permit holder, brought this to my attention. I'm not sure if this applies to MDAC property like the Mississippi State Fair or not. "Any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity" is in paragraph 13 of 45-9-101. Any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

4angrybadgers

not when the site with the official MS code still has parks listed in 45-9-101.
If you mean the "Michie's Legal Resources" site, it may not be updated frequently.

Did you read the thread DCKilla linked? The first reply, by WVCDL, linked to a PDF on the State Legislature's site containing the text of SB 2862. Paragraph (13) has been revised to eliminate the prohibition against carrying in parks.
http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2010/pdf/SB/2800-2899/SB2862SG.pdf

Last edited:

turbodog

My friend, a permit holder, brought this to my attention. I'm not sure if this applies to MDAC property like the Mississippi State Fair or not. "Any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity" is in paragraph 13 of 45-9-101. Any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

That means something like a County Courthouse or a Town Hall. The property of the Mississippi Coliseum doesn't qualify.

Cornelius

I've wondered this same issue since I recieved my permit to carry 6 years ago, I havent seen a definitive answer to this but I didnt want the be that guy all over the newspaper/tv/internet just so I could CC/OC at the fair to find out.
Would be nice if this could be cleared up......