• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Political Fire Mission

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I got to thinking about the upcoming elections and legislative sessions and the fact that we need to bring a united front to the table. As Hubert and others have mentioned we need to find a way to flood our representatives with thousands of calls, letters, and emails telling them what we want. I believe that in order to effectively do that we need to get other gun rights groups and hunting groups on board with our message that direct repeal of the onerous restrictions on our rights are the best method. Some of these groups may be resistant to the idea at first, but as we’ve seen time and time again, people warm up to the idea when they understand it. I’ve seen many new forum members here change their minds rather quickly and I think the same thing will happen within the other groups.

To that end I’d like to suggest that well-spoken and polite ambassadors who understand and believe in the message should spread that message to other forums and other groups NOW. We have a tool in the internet that was nowhere near as available to previous efforts as it is to ours at this time. I think we should fan out across cyberspace and drum up support in every place that we can. I believe it will be easier than we think to sway more of the other groups to the cause.

It may be a good idea to use other tools that I'm not all that familiar with like facebook as well. I believe that any way to get the message out should be explored.

I’m afraid that if we don’t start doing this right away it will be too late and we may miss our opportunity to get permit-less concealed carry and may even lose open carry in favor of concealed carry because of the preference of the masses. Not only that, but the others all need to understand that there are other laws that need repealing to make either form of carry truly viable.

I think that the message to be sent is simple at its core. Even if someone won’t change their mind that individuals need to be permitted, they should be able to be brought to believe that we should aim high if we don’t want the compromise to be distasteful.

What are your thoughts?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
They respond only to the sight of their own political blood. Convince them that you will vote their opponent into office unless they make a public political blood oath, that is one that will guarantee their un-electability in the alternative, be it before election or before re-election.

Unfortunately few, none other than me, subscribe to The Real Nature of Politics and Politicians by Michael I. Rothfeld

http://www.vcdl.org/new/realpolitics.htm

Last edited:

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
I agree with Hubert's plan, and I think you are on track about using all of the forms of media available to us. Just look at how the Madison 5 situation has opened up the eyes of more people, that is because of the internet.

How about having some well-spoken people attend some general meetings of local shooting ranges to speak about it. If we could get some people on their agenda for the event it would help get the word out. Facebook can be a powerful tool as you mentioned. If we can put together a well written blurb many of us can share it, and it just multiplies from there.

You are right that people are going to appose it at first, but if they really think about it some of them will come around. Hell, if 1 of 10 people who get the bug in their ear to call their elected officials about it we are better off.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
They respond only to the sight of their own political blood. Convince them that you will vote their opponent into office unless they make a public political blood oath, that is one that will guarantee their un-electability in the alternative, be it before election or before re-election.

Unfortunately few, none other than me, subscribe to The Real Nature of Politics and Politicians by Michael I. Rothfeld

http://www.vcdl.org/new/realpolitics.htm

I guess I'm a new subscriber, or was an old hat and didn't know it. The article you linked has a lot of good advice in it.

In my opinion, getting thousands of calls and emails will be likely to get them to see their political lives flash before their eyes, especially in the current political environment.

I think the most effective would be several organizations projecting the same message and I think it's possible in this case.

X

XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX

not sure that this is on topic but im going to fire away anyway. I do not follow polotics at all, as such I do not vote either, however I would like to take part in voting this year but to say I do not know the cannidates is putting it lightly. What's a good starting point for me ?

grinner

Politicians are people. People are motivated by more than just the prospect of losing power. Politicians who generally agree with our cause may simply need to be shown the way.

An example: If I believe in the cause, I can be convinced to attend a fundraiser (political or charitable) simply by someone asking me. Would I otherwise do it? Maybe not. The invitation makes the difference.

We need to lead these people and, if they agree in principle, they'll follow. Those who don't agree in principle may be overruled by the political majority, or if necessary, may be motivated by political process -- monetary contributions or threat of losing voter support.

grinner

...I would like to take part in voting this year but to say I do not know the cannidates is putting it lightly. What's a good starting point for me ?

You are in:

US House District 3 Wisconsin (US Congress)
Wisconsin Senate District 17 (State Senate)
WI House District 50 (State Assembly)
Juneau County (County Positions, such as Sheriff)

The WI Governor and US Senate seat held by Russ Feingold are also up for election this year. Your ballot might also contain town positions and local referendums for things such as borrowing money for schools.

Where to start? I'd see if I could get a sample ballot for your town. I tried google and I couldn't get one for you. Call your town hall and/or county clerk. Those phone numbers are available via google.

Then think about what is motivating you to be interested this year, and use the candidates' websites to learn about where they stand on those issues.

When in doubt, Republicans are generally for smaller government, lower taxes, and fewer laws. Democrats favor larger government and less freedom. But if you'd like to not just vote a party line, there's no free lunch. You have to educate yourself.

johnny amish

This sounds good. We need to form groups in different parts of the state that are willing to spend some time making contacts with other gun rights groups, sportsmen orginazations and rod and gun clubs. If all of us can spend a little time we can make a huge difference. Most of us know someone who is a member of a sportsman group, we need to talk with them to find out who we need to talk to and then attend a monthly meeting, or maybe talk to the group as a whole.
I would sugest we offer a pledge of support. What I mean by that is not financial support but help making phone calls, sending e-mails etc. In return, when they need our help we would be more that willing to do the same. The more people and orginizations united the better for all of us. One thought we need to convey is that by supporting the 2nd ammendment they will get their rights as a byproduct. Without the 2nd ammendment even sportsmen are in danger.

Captain Nemo

An internet blitz on the media and politicians is definitely a powerful tool for us. Expecting the various gun-rights groups and sportaman groups to come together and form a coalition is unlikely. The reason? Every group wants to be the "big dog in the fight", including us. Any coalition would likely end up akin to the United Nations. A bunch of people sitting around making useless talk and vetoeing each others ideas. ODCO is not immune from this. just go back and review posts made to Sisters of the Second Amendment and SAK of icarry.
"We have met the enemy and he is us". Pogo

Shane28

http://paceebene.org/files/pdf/eight-stage-graphic-2.pdf

In this model i believe we are in stage 3 or 4. We need to hang in there and figure out how to get the majority of people to back us in our mission the ideas presented here are good. Lately we have gotten some good air time in locations like madison and green bay.

Is there brochure about the the repeal of 941.23 that we can put out at local business gun shops game farms etc. Not nessicarly that we just hand out. I for one would be willing to print at home than make copies and do this for my local area. I just do not have the knoweledge or skills to design one.

What about yard signs with Wisconsin carry inc on it that says repeal 941.23 that could be ordered or put out in yards or high traffic intersections.

If someone could write me a script I could post videos on youtube for the group I made multiple videos for youtube. Nothing political but fun have editing experience for this too. example http://www.youtube.com/user/KillingPimp25?feature=mhum#p/u/8/nSfhw9foEyY

We have the bodies willing to do this just need to unite and make a plan. Social movement sucess is with in the grasp for us just need to inform the masses. If we want to be a big dog its time to act like a big dog about repeal of 941.23.

Last edited:

johnny amish

An internet blitz on the media and politicians is definitely a powerful tool for us. Expecting the various gun-rights groups and sportaman groups to come together and form a coalition is unlikely. The reason? Every group wants to be the "big dog in the fight", including us. Any coalition would likely end up akin to the United Nations. A bunch of people sitting around making useless talk and vetoeing each others ideas. ODCO is not immune from this. just go back and review posts made to Sisters of the Second Amendment and SAK of icarry.

I don't disagree this will be a dificult task. We don't need every sportsman group or rod and gun club to help us, anybody who is willing to help will put us in a better place than we are now, diversity will look good. All we need is a list of contacts of any group who is willing to help, when the time is right we ask them to make some calls, e-mails etc. When the time is right we do the same for them. Brochures, yard signs and you tube videos are all great ideas. Any thing we can do to let the public and our lawmakers know REPEAL941.23.

littlewolf

Politicians are people. People are motivated by more than just the prospect of losing power. Politicians who generally agree with our cause may simply need to be shown the way.

An example: If I believe in the cause, I can be convinced to attend a fundraiser (political or charitable) simply by someone asking me. Would I otherwise do it? Maybe not. The invitation makes the difference.

We need to lead these people and, if they agree in principle, they'll follow. Those who don't agree in principle may be overruled by the political majority, or if necessary, may be motivated by political process -- monetary contributions or threat of losing voter support.

Politics = poly meaning many, Tics meaning blood sucking parasite=POLITICIAN

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I don't think we necessarily need to form some sort of coalition. I think what I'm suggesting is a grassroots movement to get the information out. I don't really want there to be a big dog in the fight and don't think there will be. I'm trying to think of a way to get as many people as possible; as individuals, to contact the lawmakers vigorously.

johnny amish

I don't think we necessarily need to form some sort of coalition. I think what I'm suggesting is a grassroots movement to get the information out. I don't really want there to be a big dog in the fight and don't think there will be. I'm trying to think of a way to get as many people as possible; as individuals, to contact the lawmakers vigorously.

Right on, we need small groups all over the state getting the word out. A few dedicated volunteers can spread the word fast.

Spartacus

Banned
Like Nik said in another post, this has all happened so fast we wish we had another year of Open carrying and developing the organization. A handful of guys ain't gonna get it done. A WCI that was 5 or 10 thousand could though.

The problem now is that we will get permitted carry quickly crammed through the goalpost and it will take the impetus away from WCI as most will be satisfied with permitting. Then its a long grind to the other end of the field for Unrestricted Carry.

Not trying to be a wet blanket here but first and foremost I am a pragmatist.

johnny amish

Like Nik said in another post, this has all happened so fast we wish we had another year of Open carrying and developing the organization. A handful of guys ain't gonna get it done. A WCI that was 5 or 10 thousand could though.

The problem now is that we will get permitted carry quickly crammed through the goalpost and it will take the impetus away from WCI as most will be satisfied with permitting. Then its a long grind to the other end of the field for Unrestricted Carry.

Not trying to be a wet blanket here but first and foremost I am a pragmatist.

We don't need 5 or 10 thousand to make this happen. This movement started its path with one man planting a tree. We need small groups peppered thru out the state willing to contact every sportsman group and rod and gun in their area to rally support. Small groups can accomplish great things. The Octoberfest parade had a small group and managed to hand out thousands of WCI brochures. Please don't underestimate the ability of a few dedicated individuals. We have enough time to make a big difference. If we don't do it who will?

Last edited: