• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woodcarver was shot four times in his side by officer, autopsy shows

amlevin

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2013082467_shooting06m.html

Some more facts are surfacing in the case of the Native American wood carver that was shot by a Seattle Police Officer. Apparently, rather than advancing on the officer, and refusing to drop the knife as the officer ordered, the victim was not advancing or even facing the officer. Also, he was apparently wearing headphones at the time and may not have been able to hear anything the officer said.

The Police Department is supposed to be releasing the results of their review soon. It will be interesting to see if they approach this head-on or just put the normal "spin" on it like the Police Guild President did with his comment "in general, an armed person who is standing sideways to an officer can still pose a threat."

oneeyeross

Now, now. We all know that policemen aren't responsible for their mistakes. The union will stand up and prevent anything from happening to the poor, helpless policeman, even if the powers that be did try to punish him for something...

3/325

Hey, that looks like the guy who used to stand at the corner of Marion and Western (where ferry foot traffic dumps out) holding the "Smile" sign.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Lets not bash

Let's not bash the LEO's as a whole, not everyone is perfect. You will have people trying to do the right thing and go about it the wrong way. I'm in the military and as you have scene some of our own at Fort Lewis did some bad things, but these bad apples shouldn't reflect on us as a whole. The police/military represent everybody in the country (race/religion, ect), occasionally a few will slip through the screening process. Also I've scene on this forum where a person with a knife 21 feet or closer can cover that much ground before you can draw your weapon. So a knife can be a serious threat. So I think we need to let the investigation complete before we can "convict".

amlevin

Let's not bash the LEO's as a whole, not everyone is perfect. You will have people trying to do the right thing and go about it the wrong way. I'm in the military and as you have scene some of our own at Fort Lewis did some bad things, but these bad apples shouldn't reflect on us as a whole. The police/military represent everybody in the country (race/religion, ect), occasionally a few will slip through the screening process. Also I've scene on this forum where a person with a knife 21 feet or closer can cover that much ground before you can draw your weapon. So a knife can be a serious threat. So I think we need to let the investigation complete before we can "convict".

I don't think anyone here is trying to bash LEO's as a whole. I do believe that everyone is a little tired of the "Thin Blue Line" where it pertains to their code of silence. It's not just the code of silence that gets to people, it's the added spin that starts just as soon as the "gun smoke" starts to dissipate.

As for the so called 21 foot rule, great. That is not a rule to be applied in every case. When you are dealing with a street person that is known to be an alcoholic, is arthritic and moving slowly, and is partly deaf as well, do you just shoot because he has a knife in his hand? The term "stumble bum" was coined to describe people like the victim who are often too inebriated to stand much less cover the 21 feet in 1.5 seconds. The rules for the LEO's are the same as for us. They have to present a REAL threat before deadly force is warranted. As the ME's report said, he was not facing the officer when he was shot. That is in contradiction of the original reports where the officer claimed he was advancing on him.

If the death was wrongful, someone should answer for it. It should be the same for LEO's as it is for us plain citizens.

maclean

To play devils advocate to your constant "blue wall" rants, who is covering anything up?

The guild is supposed to represent the officer and is not any official voice of the PD, and the PD has not released their investigation yet.

Some dumbass spokesman initially repeated something someone told him, then got his peepee spanked for doing that.

The Chief has been out meeting with every group in Seattle claiming to represent natives, and the shooting review team has been out collecting evidence.

Which part is the "blue wall" so I can understand?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP To play devils advocate to your constant "blue wall" rants, who is covering anything up?...

Your tacit acceptance and/or ineffective efforts to abolish the Blue Wall of Silence leave you with insufficient standing to criticize someone who mis-identifies it.

maclean

Your tacit acceptance and/or ineffective efforts to abolish the Blue Wall of Silence leave you with insufficient standing to criticize someone who mis-identifies it.

Your vituperative personal recriminations are becoming tiresome and your reading comprehension is deficient.

Care to answer the question or should we have a vocabulary penis length contest?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Your vituperative personal recriminations are becoming tiresome and your reading comprehension is deficient.

Care to answer the question or should we have a vocabulary penis length contest?

So, does that mean you do or don't support the Blue Wall of Silence?

And, if you don't, what effective steps have you taken lately towards its abolition?

maclean

So, does that mean you do or don't support the Blue Wall of Silence?

And, if you don't, what effective steps have you taken lately towards its abolition?

I don't advocate any form of silence - blue, green, red, or purple. It undermines trust.

The second part of your question is personal and the answers are not suitable for a public forum.

Now that you have avoided my question yet again after I suffered an insult AND answered at least one of yours....

Care to answer my question? It wasn't intended for you but you seem to have an interest.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I don't advocate any form of silence - blue, green, red, or purple. It undermines trust.

The second part of your question is personal and the answers are not suitable for a public forum.

Now that you have avoided my question yet again after I suffered an insult AND answered at least one of yours....

Care to answer my question? It wasn't intended for you but you seem to have an interest.

Hahahahahahaha! Evasions. And, an insulted feeling. And, a tiresome feeling. Oooooo. Hahahahahaha.

I didn't ask if you advocated. I asked if you supported.

Personal question not suitable for a public forum? Who are you? Serpico? If you are a latter-day Serpico, I apologize--you can PM me the details. But, if you're not, tough. The Blue Wall of Silence is entirely public in its effects. Until I hear you are doing something effective about it, you are going to hear from me every single time I see you criticize someone in the vicinity of the subject. You could have just pointed out that poster's error without the "devil's advocate" cover story and the indignation; but, no you felt the need to criticize.

I've avoided a question? You didn't ask me a question. So, I can't have "avoided it yet again". Is this some cop assert-a-premise trick? In the material quoted above, you even acknowledge the question wasn't directed at me, thus undermining your whole assertion that I was avoiding it yet again. Are you just stupid, or do you think I am?

And, to top it all off, you missed that in my first comment, I even said that your target mis-identified the BWS. So, here you've been making an a$$ out of yourself for several posts when I was also of the opinion that the BWS wasn't shown to be in operation in this case. My point was you had insufficient standing to criticize someone; not that the BWS was operating in the instant case.

Hahhahahahahahahaa.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Back to the 4th Amendment....

I will go back to my original question to the officer, the department...

Why was contact made in the first place? There was no 911 call. The officer choose to engage the deceased. The officer choose to leave his car. The officer choose to not call back up.

What was the RAS for the contact?

Fuller Malarkey

COMMENTS REMOVED BY MODERATOR: No LEO bashing