Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle carrying question

Vehicle carrying question

I have a question about switching holsters while in a vehicle. I usually carry on my right hip, so while driving, my weapon is essentially out of play since itís buried under my seatbelt and jacket. To get around that, I have a second holster strapped under my steering column. Now when I enter and exit the vehicle, I have to move my weapon from one holster to the other, which means itís in my hand for a few seconds in the car. Iím always a bit nervous about this since I am now holding a loaded weapon in a public area (usually a parking lot) but in my own vehicle. I keep it low and out of sight, but what is the general opinion on the legalities of this? I do have a valid CPL for having a weapon in the vehicle with me.

Stop worrying about it. I also have a special holster set-up for under the steering column. Just move the gun from that holster to your belt holster before you get out of the vehicle. Just remember to actually get the gun from the car holster or hide it in the car. It would be visible from the outside, and if you're not there that violates RCW 9.41.250 (2)(a)(iii).
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Consider a holster like this:

It's made by DeSantis. If you do have to leave the vehicle just drop your jacket or a towel over it to conceal it. I've seen some that have a flap that covers it and folds back like a seat cover/pad while you're driving. This holster places the pistol in as perfect a position as possible to draw while seated. Under Column holsters are somewhat awkward to many and can be painful to the shins.

As for others seeing the pistol while you transfer it, don't worry about it. Just keep the pistol low while moving it and don't wave it around, nobody will even notice.
    Last edited by amlevin; 10-07-2010 at 12:47 PM.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

That buckle sure looks comfy to sit on...
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Me personally, I always remain holstered in the car, too cramped of quarters for my comfort zone, with my M&P 9c no external safety. I good friend and co-worker recently had what appears an accidental discharge and died in his vehicle, Iím guessing he was doing the same, switching storage means in the vehicle. Mac was extremely gun savvy, so it can happen to anyone.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201.../1054/comm0613

Holstering a weapon one must keep in mind one to keep your finger off the trigger, I know duh! but more important, have a quality holster that does not collapse when the gun is out of the holster and ensure you do not cross any part of your body with the barrel and do not let yourself to become distracted.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTattoo View Post
    That buckle sure looks comfy to sit on...
    They are showing it over to one side. In reality it should be centered so the actual buckle is between the legs, not under a thigh or "cheek". The buckle allows for a fairly easy removal of the holster for storage.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    Me personally, I always remain holstered in the car, too cramped of quarters for my comfort zone, with my M&P 9c no external safety. I good friend and co-worker recently had what appears an accidental discharge and died in his vehicle, Iím guessing he was doing the same, switching storage means in the vehicle. Mac was extremely gun savvy, so it can happen to anyone.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201.../1054/comm0613
    Finger on trigger??????

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Finger on trigger??????
    One would have to hold a sťance to find that answer.

Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    One would have to hold a sťance to find that answer.
    It was stated that the weapon was a S&W M&P 9mm c(compact?). If this is correct the firearm is a striker fired weapon and has no exposed hammer. It REQUIRES a finger on the trigger to discharge.

I thought of the seat mounted one, but with the way I have mine set up, I can make it look like I am reaching for the keys and easily draw from under the steering column quickly and it doesn't interfere with my driving at all. It's a fun thing to do with the weapon loaded with snap caps and practicing that in the garage

One good thing about the constant switching is that I have gotten really good at one handed draw and holster as far as muscle memory goes.

I doubt that it could really "happen to anyone". With no disrespect to your friend, my guess is that he got careless due to familiarity and did something to the trigger with his finger. Although we will never know, the fact is that guns don't just go off by themselves. Something has to pull that trigger. Move it all you want but remember that a firearm is a deadly weapon and treat it as such at all times, no matter how often you've handled it safely.

It was stated that the weapon was a S&W M&P 9mm c(compact?). If this is correct the firearm is a striker fired weapon and has no exposed hammer. It REQUIRES a finger on the trigger to discharge.
    I was refering to my S&W M&P 9c

Quote Originally Posted by Voob View Post
    I have a question about switching holsters while in a vehicle. I usually carry on my right hip, so while driving, my weapon is essentially out of play since itís buried under my seatbelt and jacket. To get around that, I have a second holster strapped under my steering column. Now when I enter and exit the vehicle, I have to move my weapon from one holster to the other, which means itís in my hand for a few seconds in the car. Iím always a bit nervous about this since I am now holding a loaded weapon in a public area (usually a parking lot) but in my own vehicle. I keep it low and out of sight, but what is the general opinion on the legalities of this? I do have a valid CPL for having a weapon in the vehicle with me.
    Do you get in a lot of shootouts while driving?
    I have never understood this concept. Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Workman View Post
    I think it's just a precautionary type thing. Kind of like how I don't get into a shootout regularly while walking around but I still like my firearm to be easily accessible. It's why I OC. =]
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

ďItís always open season on criminals in Mason County, and thereís no bag limit.Ē Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

Molōn labe!

whoops

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTattoo View Post
    Stop worrying about it. I also have a special holster set-up for under the steering column. Just move the gun from that holster to your belt holster before you get out of the vehicle. Just remember to actually get the gun from the car holster or hide it in the car. It would be visible from the outside, and if you're not there that violates RCW 9.41.250 (2)(a)(iii).

im sure you mean 9.41.050 (2)(a)(iii)!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

ďIf ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.Ē

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Car jacking in parking lots and at stop lights does happen. Keeping your doors locked and windows rolled up is a good preventative measure.
    The ONE time in my life I have had to pull my firearm was in my car. At an interstate off ramp in Tacoma. A bum came up to my window and asked for money. (The window was up) There was a car in front of me and I did not have enough room to pull out. After I ignored him, he then grabbed my car and tried to get in. I pulled out my 'car gun' that was in my center console.

FYI, I do not carry a gun in a holster in the car as described above.
    Live Free or Die!

As others have stated, it's a preventative measure in case someone tries to forcibly enter my vehicle and I have no escape route due to traffic. I have never been in a shoot out, even though I carry consistently, but if the need should ever arise, I don't want to be fumbling with a seatbelt, coat, etc to defend myself.

I found a $25 CQC for an XD at a local gun store and couldn't resist buying it. After some time with a dremel, I now have a holster in my car. Now I just need some epoxy to get rid of some ugly holes. Also, the console can't close while it's in the holster, but that's not a huge problem.

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

ďItís always open season on criminals in Mason County, and thereís no bag limit.Ē Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

Molōn labe!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    There was a car in front of me and I did not have enough room to pull out.
    Somewhat of a tactical error on your part. It's always advisable when in traffic to leave "maneuver" room by just stopping a little sooner and leave a car length in front. Even if you can't pull totally out, you can start moving and that may discourage someone on foot. It also keeps you from hitting the car in front of you if rear-ended yourself.

Somewhat of a tactical error on your part. It's always advisable when in traffic to leave "maneuver" room by just stopping a little sooner and leave a car length in front. Even if you can't pull totally out, you can start moving and that may discourage someone on foot. It also keeps you from hitting the car in front of you if rear-ended yourself.
    Plus 10,0000 this is my personal pet peeve about Seattle drivers and especially folks new to the art of saving your a$$.

You should be able to see the bottom of the rear tires of the vehicle in front of you at a minimum.

Also - drive or draw, not both. You are almost ALWAYS better off driving out than shooting it out.

I don't change my carry position when in the car. The more often you f**, er futz with your weapon the more likely you are to do something stupid and ventilate your car.
    Squeak!

I have an S&W M&P 9 mil compact, it was the first gun I bought. The external safety comes off too easy I think, but it's double action with a harder trigger pull than my 1911.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Plus 10,0000 this is my personal pet peeve about Seattle drivers and especially folks new to the art of saving your a$$.

You should be able to see the bottom of the rear tires of the vehicle in front of you at a minimum.

Also - drive or draw, not both. You are almost ALWAYS better off driving out than shooting it out.

I don't change my carry position when in the car. The more often you f**, er futz with your weapon the more likely you are to do something stupid and ventilate your car.
    Yes. And I admitted to the tactical error on my part. I always leave the bottom of the tires in front of me. If you drive with me you will see that. That particular time I did not and it was a huge error. Learn from me, always leave ample room in front of your vehicle. I have taken driving lessons and driven automobiles over 200 mph, I have completed J brakes at nearly 90 mph, I understand low speed driving and evasion.

The one thing I can say to those who have never taken driving classes....always be able to see the bottom of the tires of the car in front of you when coming to a stop.
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Yes. And I admitted to the tactical error on my part. I always leave the bottom of the tires in front of me. If you drive with me you will see that. That particular time I did not and it was a huge error. Learn from me, always leave ample room in front of your vehicle. I have taken driving lessons and driven automobiles over 200 mph, I have completed J brakes at nearly 90 mph, I understand low speed driving and evasion.

The one thing I can say to those who have never taken driving classes....always be able to see the bottom of the tires of the car in front of you when coming to a stop.
    I took a Defensive Driving course (DDC) and learned a ton from it. I'd recommend it to anyone whom has the time and $$ to do it. If you're in the military, most bases may still offer this course for FREE. I know they did when I was in.

Back on topic: I've always seen that my Serpa gets blocked by my seatbelt. I've pondered carrying cross-draw for just this reason. It's also the reason I'm OCing my shoulder rig more now. Just in case.

GoGo's post is just another example that should be something for ALL OF US to remember and employ.

It doesn't matter how much training you have had or how proficient you are in something, one moment of not paying attention can lead to a hairy situation.

Not trying to mess with you GoGo, just hoping that some people will take something positive out of your experience.

I myself have taken evasive driving courses, defensive driving course, Emergency Vehicle Operations Courses, however I can tell you that one of the biggest things that was driven into my head in all of those classes (and many more classes I have taken) is to ALWAYS be on the alert. Something can happen at anytime, you need to always be prepared for it.
    "And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    E nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

"If the rest of the world says: 'War,' I can only say: 'Very well. I do not want war, but no one, however peaceable, can live in peace if his neighbor intends to force a quarrel.'" - Adolf Hitler...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast