• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vehicle carrying question

Voob

I have a question about switching holsters while in a vehicle. I usually carry on my right hip, so while driving, my weapon is essentially out of play since it’s buried under my seatbelt and jacket. To get around that, I have a second holster strapped under my steering column. Now when I enter and exit the vehicle, I have to move my weapon from one holster to the other, which means it’s in my hand for a few seconds in the car. I’m always a bit nervous about this since I am now holding a loaded weapon in a public area (usually a parking lot) but in my own vehicle. I keep it low and out of sight, but what is the general opinion on the legalities of this? I do have a valid CPL for having a weapon in the vehicle with me.

SpyderTattoo

Stop worrying about it. I also have a special holster set-up for under the steering column. Just move the gun from that holster to your belt holster before you get out of the vehicle. Just remember to actually get the gun from the car holster or hide it in the car. It would be visible from the outside, and if you're not there that violates RCW 9.41.250 (2)(a)(iii).

amlevin

Consider a holster like this:

yhst-88556715610555_2122_164562487

It's made by DeSantis. If you do have to leave the vehicle just drop your jacket or a towel over it to conceal it. I've seen some that have a flap that covers it and folds back like a seat cover/pad while you're driving. This holster places the pistol in as perfect a position as possible to draw while seated. Under Column holsters are somewhat awkward to many and can be painful to the shins.

As for others seeing the pistol while you transfer it, don't worry about it. Just keep the pistol low while moving it and don't wave it around, nobody will even notice.

Last edited:

jbone

Me personally, I always remain holstered in the car, too cramped of quarters for my comfort zone, with my M&P 9c no external safety. I good friend and co-worker recently had what appears an accidental discharge and died in his vehicle, I’m guessing he was doing the same, switching storage means in the vehicle. Mac was extremely gun savvy, so it can happen to anyone.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20100928/NEWS01/709289878/1054/comm0613

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Holstering a weapon one must keep in mind one to keep your finger off the trigger, I know duh! but more important, have a quality holster that does not collapse when the gun is out of the holster and ensure you do not cross any part of your body with the barrel and do not let yourself to become distracted.

amlevin

Me personally, I always remain holstered in the car, too cramped of quarters for my comfort zone, with my M&P 9c no external safety. I good friend and co-worker recently had what appears an accidental discharge and died in his vehicle, I’m guessing he was doing the same, switching storage means in the vehicle. Mac was extremely gun savvy, so it can happen to anyone.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20100928/NEWS01/709289878/1054/comm0613

Finger on trigger??????

Voob

I thought of the seat mounted one, but with the way I have mine set up, I can make it look like I am reaching for the keys and easily draw from under the steering column quickly and it doesn't interfere with my driving at all. It's a fun thing to do with the weapon loaded with snap caps and practicing that in the garage :)

One good thing about the constant switching is that I have gotten really good at one handed draw and holster as far as muscle memory goes.

heresolong

I doubt that it could really "happen to anyone". With no disrespect to your friend, my guess is that he got careless due to familiarity and did something to the trigger with his finger. Although we will never know, the fact is that guns don't just go off by themselves. Something has to pull that trigger. Move it all you want but remember that a firearm is a deadly weapon and treat it as such at all times, no matter how often you've handled it safely.

jbone

It was stated that the weapon was a S&W M&P 9mm c(compact?). If this is correct the firearm is a striker fired weapon and has no exposed hammer. It REQUIRES a finger on the trigger to discharge.

I was refering to my S&W M&P 9c

Dave Workman

I have a question about switching holsters while in a vehicle. I usually carry on my right hip, so while driving, my weapon is essentially out of play since it’s buried under my seatbelt and jacket. To get around that, I have a second holster strapped under my steering column. Now when I enter and exit the vehicle, I have to move my weapon from one holster to the other, which means it’s in my hand for a few seconds in the car. I’m always a bit nervous about this since I am now holding a loaded weapon in a public area (usually a parking lot) but in my own vehicle. I keep it low and out of sight, but what is the general opinion on the legalities of this? I do have a valid CPL for having a weapon in the vehicle with me.

Do you get in a lot of shootouts while driving?
I have never understood this concept. Please explain.

xxx.jakk.xxx

I think it's just a precautionary type thing. Kind of like how I don't get into a shootout regularly while walking around but I still like my firearm to be easily accessible. It's why I OC. =]

1245A Defender

whoops

Stop worrying about it. I also have a special holster set-up for under the steering column. Just move the gun from that holster to your belt holster before you get out of the vehicle. Just remember to actually get the gun from the car holster or hide it in the car. It would be visible from the outside, and if you're not there that violates RCW 9.41.250 (2)(a)(iii).

im sure you mean 9.41.050 (2)(a)(iii)!!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

Car jacking in parking lots and at stop lights does happen. Keeping your doors locked and windows rolled up is a good preventative measure.

The ONE time in my life I have had to pull my firearm was in my car. At an interstate off ramp in Tacoma. A bum came up to my window and asked for money. (The window was up) There was a car in front of me and I did not have enough room to pull out. After I ignored him, he then grabbed my car and tried to get in. I pulled out my 'car gun' that was in my center console.

FYI, I do not carry a gun in a holster in the car as described above.

Voob

As others have stated, it's a preventative measure in case someone tries to forcibly enter my vehicle and I have no escape route due to traffic. I have never been in a shoot out, even though I carry consistently, but if the need should ever arise, I don't want to be fumbling with a seatbelt, coat, etc to defend myself.

xxx.jakk.xxx

I found a $25 CQC for an XD at a local gun store and couldn't resist buying it. After some time with a dremel, I now have a holster in my car. Now I just need some epoxy to get rid of some ugly holes. Also, the console can't close while it's in the holster, but that's not a huge problem.

IMG_1146.jpg

amlevin

There was a car in front of me and I did not have enough room to pull out.

Somewhat of a tactical error on your part. It's always advisable when in traffic to leave "maneuver" room by just stopping a little sooner and leave a car length in front. Even if you can't pull totally out, you can start moving and that may discourage someone on foot. It also keeps you from hitting the car in front of you if rear-ended yourself.