• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 suggestions

Maverick9110e

Alright so i'm in the middle of an AR build (just need the upper half) and recentley moved to NC where OC is legal (thank god) So i do not really have a good edc carry firearm. Currently all i own is a S&W (k frame i belive) .38 special with a 6" barrell. I did get a holster for it, but that 6" barrell is a PAIN in the but, and that grip is just a pain as well. I'm new to the semi auto side of firearms, (used to shoot single action revolvers compettivley) and i really am leaning towards the 1911, i just love the feel of a single stack. And the .45lc i really enjoyed, the 9mm has way to much flip or kick for me (it's just annoying) i prefer the "push" of a .45 soooo

Considering a 1911 (the sig p220 is on the back of my mind as well) But i've decided to go 1911 over a M&P 45 that i was originally leaning towards. Now, i don't really want a full custom 2k rig. I'd like to take the money i was going to use on finishing my AR and purchase a 1911 in november most likely at the big gun show in town. My question is which one? I know i already would like a government model (full size) i belive and as far as options, i do like a nice beavertail, and i would like either fiber optic or some sort of night sights. My constraint is going to be price i belive. Looking to spend 600ish if possible. A buddy of mine picked up a nice GI for about $400 at the last gun show so it shouldn't be to bad.
Springfield seems a little pricer and with less options, I do like the Para GI Expert ESP, and the price is reasonably within my goal. My concern is that i've heard the word CAST instead of Forged and that just raises a little red flag for me on the Para is all. I'm looking for some suggestions as i know there are about 2 million mfgs of 1911 styles. Thanks for help in adavance!!

oh ps. the other thing that just sorta "slightly" annoys me is that PARA is not american. But not a deal breaker.

irish52084

Buying a new "brand Name " 1911 with extender beaver tail and night sights might be a bit tough to do on $600. A good condition used one should be pretty easy, I would think. Springfield, Para, Kimber all make good pistols in my opinion. I've owned 3 kimbers and have handled a few springers and paras of friends. I know Taurus makes 1911's now, but I don't know much about them. I've read a few reviews and heard lots of good things, but no first hand experience.

Some people have complained about Kimber for the money, but I've had 3 and they were all fantastic. I bought a Kimber pro carry ten II when they changed the frame and I loved it. It has been the best shooter of all the pistols I've shot, including a kimber raptor pro and a kimber grand raptor.

I know you said you would prefer a 5" barrel and that's a personal preference, but I always found the 4" guns to be my preference, felt more balanced to me. You could probably buy a used springfield GI and add the beaver tail and night sights yourself. That might even leave a few $$ for more goodies.

4angrybadgers

The Armscor / Rock Island Armory full-size 1911 is, from everything I've read and heard, a solid no-frills 1911, and I've seen them at my local gun shows (which normally overprice things) for $400 BNIB.

Last edited:

Michigander

Properly tuned 1911's, M&P's and P220's are all exceptionally good choices, other than in my opinion having lowish capacity for a full size.

1911 without a compensator will have the heaviest recoil, other than perhaps the M&P 45, which I have never shot. But even still, I'd probably take the M&P at this point, since they have interchangeable backstraps, out of the box reliability, and the highest capacity. Plus I am extremely fond of the M&P 9. For the price, M&P's are nearly impossible to beat.

But again, all are good and solid choices. I carry a P220 daily, and try to practice reloading in a second or so, so that the capacity doesn't bother me as much.

One thing I will suggest, is before you settle on a single stack, you owe it to yourself to at least try handling a FNP45. It is essentially the double stack P220 that consumers were asking for for decades, and they have interchangeable back straps, allowing a rather slender grip, relative to some others.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

<snip>

But again, all are good and solid choices. I carry a P220 daily, and try to practice reloading in a second or so, so that the capacity doesn't bother me as much.

One thing I will suggest, is before you settle on a single stack, you owe it to yourself to at least try handling a FNP45. It is essentially the double stack P220 that consumers were asking for for decades, and they have interchangeable back straps, allowing a rather slender grip, relative to some others.

I own a couple Government 5" 1911's and "like" them. They are thin and comfortable to shoot as well as accurate. I prefer Sig P220's but admit the 1911's have an advantage as far as price. For $600 I doubt you will be able to get a Sig and it will be tough to get a 1911 with all the options you want. One thing to consider in a 1911 is I really REALLY like GI guide rods over full length guide rods. I HATE needing to use a tool to break down my gun so the GI guide rod with a spring cap makes breaking it down much easier.

With that said, I hate breaking down 1911's and cleaning them. Too many parts and too difficult "compared" to a Sig P220. Other than price, a Sig P220 has all the advantages of a 1911 with a much easier maintenance/breakdown/cleaning.

Both the standard 1911 and P220 have limited capacity. I ventured and got a Para Big Hawg which is 15+1 instead of the normal 7 or 8+1. Again, I "like" it but it had a 300-400 round breakin time and hates Blaser ammo. So I trust and carry a H&K USP at 12+1 more than the big hawg.

With that said, I agree the FNP-45 is a mix of the Sig P220 and the H&K USP as far as size and capacity. At 15+1 I "love" the FNP-45 and would carry it more if I had a SERPA for it. The "only" downside right now is that lack of a SERPA retention holster for it. Blackhawk is considering making one but hasn't yet. Once the SERPA is available I forsee the FNP-45 being carried more. The FNP-45 will cost around $600 so it would fit your pricepoint.

So for the history, reliability, cost a 1911 is a great choice. There are others out there that I feel are better for my purposes.

Last edited:

Mr H

I've "handled" several 1911s, and would have to say it's a close call between Para and Springfield for "feel".

I've only shot two .45 ACPs to date... my son's Para P14 and M&P .45... Both are very solid and easy to handle. But, for knowing what will happen when you swat the bang-hook?? M&P.

Admittedly, as an owner of a M&P .40, I must say that I am in love with the M&Ps.

;-)

The feel, the stability, the reliability... not to mention the simplicity in cleaning (piston and recoil spring are a single unit)... WINNA

I still want a 1911 someday... but if I had to rely on a .45 in a pinch? So far?????

COMMANDER1911

I have a metro arms american classic II and it comes with an extended beaver tail, extended slide stop, and a nice fit and finish. also forged slide and frame. I got mine for $510.

Maverick9110e

I've "handled" several 1911s, and would have to say it's a close call between Para and Springfield for "feel".

I've only shot two .45 ACPs to date... my son's Para P14 and M&P .45... Both are very solid and easy to handle. But, for knowing what will happen when you swat the bang-hook?? M&P.

Admittedly, as an owner of a M&P .40, I must say that I am in love with the M&Ps.

;-)

The feel, the stability, the reliability... not to mention the simplicity in cleaning (piston and recoil spring are a single unit)... WINNA

I still want a 1911 someday... but if I had to rely on a .45 in a pinch? So far?????

Thanks for the info, I have REALLY been back and forth between the M&P and a 1911 so im still slightly on the fence, lol.

Don Barnett

I Need a Lighter Carry Gun...Kimber Pro-Carry 4"??

My S&W 686 is starting to feel like a boat anchor...so much so that I am not carrying it.

I got some spare cash and was looking at the Kimber Pro-Carry (.45 ACP) with the 4" barrel. It looks like "just the ticket".

It fits my hand well and if I get night sights, it will be about $1,000.

Any feedback??

Michigander

With that said, I agree the FNP-45 is a mix of the Sig P220 and the H&K USP as far as size and capacity. At 15+1 I "love" the FNP-45 and would carry it more if I had a SERPA for it. The "only" downside right now is that lack of a SERPA retention holster for it. Blackhawk is considering making one but hasn't yet. Once the SERPA is available I forsee the FNP-45 being carried more. The FNP-45 will cost around $600 so it would fit your pricepoint..

Safariland makes an extensive array of them specifically for the FNP45, from level 1- level 4. I don't remember the one model's name, but they make a model similar to the Serpa, except the retention button is actually placed in a better location, one where it cannot be seen easily by anyone in the area of the person wearing it.

Not to be down on Serpas, they work, and they work well, but I would argue that Safariland makes a much better product.

Maverick9110e

awesome! Thank you very much for the suggestion on the FN 45. My biggest problem is getting a hold of all these to try them, the 4.25" 1911 over the 5" vs the m&P vs the sig, vs the fn 45. The fn seems like it has a similar grip to the M&P in the pictures??

I'm a little picky on feel (which is a good thing i suppose) i orginally was really hot on the XDM until i held one and it just didn't fit my hand at all, felt to blocky. (or Glocky, LOL!)Wheras the M&P with it's more curvaceous frame i suppose really fit like a glove. But the 1911 just fits well period as well, i think mostly in part to the single stack design??

45acpForMe

Safariland makes an extensive array of them specifically for the FNP45, from level 1- level 4. I don't remember the one model's name, but they make a model similar to the Serpa, except the retention button is actually placed in a better location, one where it cannot be seen easily by anyone in the area of the person wearing it.

Not to be down on Serpas, they work, and they work well, but I would argue that Safariland makes a much better product.

Yes I started a thread a while back for FNP-45 holsters. Ice_man has the coolest looking "twins" :) http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?75102-Holster-options-for-FNP-45

I like the look and function of the SERPA as well as the cost. Typically I can get a SERPA for $30-$40 whereas the Safariland hovers around (or over) $100+. Since I use SERPA for all my other guns (Sig, H&K, 1911) I figure it would be best to standardize on what I am familiar with. The current holster I use is a custom Sig P220 leather with no retention. Rather than run out and spend more money I am biding my time for the SERPA.

45acpForMe

awesome! Thank you very much for the suggestion on the FN 45. My biggest problem is getting a hold of all these to try them, the 4.25" 1911 over the 5" vs the m&P vs the sig, vs the fn 45. The fn seems like it has a similar grip to the M&P in the pictures??

I'm a little picky on feel (which is a good thing i suppose) i orginally was really hot on the XDM until i held one and it just didn't fit my hand at all, felt to blocky. (or Glocky, LOL!)Wheras the M&P with it's more curvaceous frame i suppose really fit like a glove. But the 1911 just fits well period as well, i think mostly in part to the single stack design??

If you like single stack (thinner) frames then a 1911 or a Sig P220 are excellent choices. Don't beat yourself up over the decision. In your gut you know what you like and you wouldn't be happy getting anything else. You won't be sorry with a 1911 purchase and you can always buy more/others in the future. The 1911 design is tried and true.

The FNP-45 while a great gun won't fee thin in your hand. It is large but has lots of firepower! :)

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
My S&W 686 is starting to feel like a boat anchor...so much so that I am not carrying it.

I got some spare cash and was looking at the Kimber Pro-Carry (.45 ACP) with the 4" barrel. It looks like "just the ticket".

It fits my hand well and if I get night sights, it will be about $1,000.

Any feedback??

I have a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II (aluminum frame and stainless slide). It's light and is very accurate, not too much recoil either. It's my main carry gun and was well worth the money. I've owned it for about a year and a half.
I hope this helps you rugerdon.

meyek91974

I Carry A Rock Island Armory Govt Model $400

Go to the Rock Island website and Wikipedia the Rock Island Armory / Armscor company. You'll find that the company has recieved credits and been "known" for its build of the 1911. I got mine three years ago and it has done GREAT. The only negative is that thier 'claim to fame" piece that they are most noted for is thier model that is most correct to WWII issue copy/clone. - theyve gotten recognition for this pistol for over fifty years as I have found. BUT you will need to change the sites if you want night sights (as it has field sites) and it is not a beaver tail; although they make these models too for around five bills.

If you need more than 8 rounds, they make staggered mag 15 rd versions like Paraordnance also

It holds really well in a Blackhawk Serpa holster too

Good Luck & Enjoy

Last edited:

Don Barnett

Thanks...

I have a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II (aluminum frame and stainless slide). It's light and is very accurate, not too much recoil either. It's my main carry gun and was well worth the money. I've owned it for about a year and a half.
I hope this helps you rugerdon.

Yes...Thank you!

K

KansasScout

Kimber custom

I have a Kimber Custom. I love it. All I had to do was add a lefty safety and all was good. No jams ever. good trigger. Shoots great. I have had it seven years now. If I ever get another 1911 it would be the Kimber Custom 2 in four inch bbl for ccw. If I could afford the CDP in four inch, I would get it in a heartbeat. Great guns Kimber!

Don Barnett

Just Bought the 4" Pro-Carry

I just bought the 4" Pro-Carry and am off to the range to try it out. It is so light, I had to open the box once to see if it was really in there.

swinokur

Activist Member
I have a Kimber TLE/RL II. A bit big and a bit heavy, but with the right holster and belt, easy to carry. conceals better then my G30 because of width.