Thread: Are you aware of what is visible in your vehicle?

Are you aware of what is visible in your vehicle?

I had an encounter with a 60's something woman today while at work. I had been processing a ticket on her vehicle when she rushes over. Cleared the ticked and had a talk with her.

I asked her to come to her passenger window and tell me what she sees. Low and behold she notices the piece of mail with her address in plain view which was clearly postmarked already. I told her that was one of the methods I use to identify responsible parties rather quickly and that it's also a hazard because criminals can simply take a picture with a camera phone and use that information in harmful ways.

Identity theft is just one of those. Imagine a BG or group of BG's taking that address, using a mapping software to locate it, making a scout of the area, then striking at the opportune time for a burglary. And all it took was leaving that piece of mail exposed in your vehicle.

Heck, I had an encounter with one of our judges late last year that had left a bank statement right out on his seat. Talk about having your brain elsewhere. He actually thanked me for pointing out that his banking information and personal information had been ripe for the taking. Now when he sees me he just waves and says "I've cleaned out the car to keep the bad guys away."

So I ask all of you...are you fully aware of what is actually in your vehicle in plain view?
    If not, the next time you get out of your vehicle, walk around it looking in the windows and see just what's inside. You might be surprised what you find for yourself. Fellas, pass this to your wives, wives pass this on to your husbands.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Good advice - take heed.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Good advice - take heed.
    Agreed, it's something that only takes a few seconds when leaving the car, but can save you a LOT of headaches.

Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    Great advice, from a firearms point of view as well. If criminals will break a window to steal a laptop, wouldn't they be more interested in that handgun or rifle?

Not deep enough in the Woods, Wisconsin, USA
    Great reminder and good advice, thanks!

I don't like to keep things in my car. But it would be hard for anyone to look inside. I have one of the sun screen thingys for the windshield to keep the sun light out and then all the other windows have basically limo tint.

wow

years ago, it was the law here, to display your registration so that it could be read from outside!!
    that changed now, but i thought WTF??? super bad idea...
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Thank you for trying to tell me what to do. If you had stopped my on my business travels and tried to tell me that, i'd tell you to go away.

Valid info but not only is my address on all my mail, it is actually posted in big reflective numbers on a post outside my home! Anyone passing by can easily get my address without even slowing down. Not only that, but my house is even visible from the street!

OK I am being facetious but unless your car or demeanor serve to attract undue attention (like being a Judge) then I don't see the great harm in leaving your mail in the car. On the other hand, maybe you should create some 'fake' mail to leave in the car to steer someone down the wrong path?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolffe View Post
    Thank you for trying to tell me what to do. If you had stopped my on my business travels and tried to tell me that, i'd tell you to go away.
    Which I'm sure he would do right after finishing that ticket he was writing until you walked up.The best part about free advice is that it doesn't cost you anything. Rudeness, on the other hand, always winds up costing you more.

not only does the original post

not have anything to do with open carry, but the entire thing is corny. Anyone who thinks thugs from the hood can't find a house to burgle without snooping thorough a car window has been watching too much tee vee. Seeing a street address on a piece of mail provides no information at all about the neighborhood in which the house is located. I sincerely doubt that this is the method used by the homies in town. They'd probably get a big laugh out of this stuff.

How about we at least try to stay on topic: OPEN CARRY

Moderator / Administrator
    I cover up the VIN on my cars - you know, the one that is visible thru the windshield - in some states, a person with the VIN of your car can get DMV information about you.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Wow, even the VIN. I wonder if I should trust my vendors that use my car's VIN to validate ordered part numbers. With each successive model year VW has tightened the specified oil specifications and happily denies warranty claims without good evidence.

What's visible through my car windows? At home, nothing much but my "go bag" of spare clothes, etc.

When I'm downtown? The large, fuzzy dog with a toothy grin. Not much else. I don't even need to lock my car here in Wyoming.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
    This is why I have tinted windows and a lockbox under every seat. If they can't see it, it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by 6L6GC View Post
    not have anything to do with open carry, but the entire thing is corny. Anyone who thinks thugs from the hood can't find a house to burgle without snooping thorough a car window has been watching too much tee vee. Seeing a street address on a piece of mail provides no information at all about the neighborhood in which the house is located. I sincerely doubt that this is the method used by the homies in town. They'd probably get a big laugh out of this stuff.

How about we at least try to stay on topic: OPEN CARRY
    True, an exposed address is not a problem by itself. But if you leave something that obviously contains more personal information - an envelope with your bank's logo on it, for example - then that becomes a juicy target for someone who wants to engage in identity theft.