• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are you aware of what is visible in your vehicle?

heresyourdipstickjimmy

I had an encounter with a 60's something woman today while at work. I had been processing a ticket on her vehicle when she rushes over. Cleared the ticked and had a talk with her.

I asked her to come to her passenger window and tell me what she sees. Low and behold she notices the piece of mail with her address in plain view which was clearly postmarked already. I told her that was one of the methods I use to identify responsible parties rather quickly and that it's also a hazard because criminals can simply take a picture with a camera phone and use that information in harmful ways.

Identity theft is just one of those. Imagine a BG or group of BG's taking that address, using a mapping software to locate it, making a scout of the area, then striking at the opportune time for a burglary. And all it took was leaving that piece of mail exposed in your vehicle.

Heck, I had an encounter with one of our judges late last year that had left a bank statement right out on his seat. Talk about having your brain elsewhere. He actually thanked me for pointing out that his banking information and personal information had been ripe for the taking. Now when he sees me he just waves and says "I've cleaned out the car to keep the bad guys away."

So I ask all of you...are you fully aware of what is actually in your vehicle in plain view?
If not, the next time you get out of your vehicle, walk around it looking in the windows and see just what's inside. You might be surprised what you find for yourself. Fellas, pass this to your wives, wives pass this on to your husbands.

Half Live

I don't like to keep things in my car. But it would be hard for anyone to look inside. I have one of the sun screen thingys for the windshield to keep the sun light out and then all the other windows have basically limo tint.

wolffe

Thank you for trying to tell me what to do. If you had stopped my on my business travels and tried to tell me that, i'd tell you to go away.

paramedic70002

Valid info but not only is my address on all my mail, it is actually posted in big reflective numbers on a post outside my home! Anyone passing by can easily get my address without even slowing down. Not only that, but my house is even visible from the street!

OK I am being facetious but unless your car or demeanor serve to attract undue attention (like being a Judge) then I don't see the great harm in leaving your mail in the car. On the other hand, maybe you should create some 'fake' mail to leave in the car to steer someone down the wrong path?

Brimstone Baritone

Thank you for trying to tell me what to do. If you had stopped my on my business travels and tried to tell me that, i'd tell you to go away.

Which I'm sure he would do right after finishing that ticket he was writing until you walked up.The best part about free advice is that it doesn't cost you anything. Rudeness, on the other hand, always winds up costing you more.

6L6GC

not only does the original post

not have anything to do with open carry, but the entire thing is corny. Anyone who thinks thugs from the hood can't find a house to burgle without snooping thorough a car window has been watching too much tee vee. Seeing a street address on a piece of mail provides no information at all about the neighborhood in which the house is located. I sincerely doubt that this is the method used by the homies in town. They'd probably get a big laugh out of this stuff.

How about we at least try to stay on topic: OPEN CARRY

Mike

Site Co-Founder
I cover up the VIN on my cars - you know, the one that is visible thru the windshield - in some states, a person with the VIN of your car can get DMV information about you.

MamaLiberty

What's visible through my car windows? At home, nothing much but my "go bag" of spare clothes, etc.

When I'm downtown? The large, fuzzy dog with a toothy grin. :) Not much else. I don't even need to lock my car here in Wyoming.

Nikki_Black

Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
This is why I have tinted windows and a lockbox under every seat. If they can't see it, it's all good.
icon6.png

4angrybadgers

not have anything to do with open carry, but the entire thing is corny. Anyone who thinks thugs from the hood can't find a house to burgle without snooping thorough a car window has been watching too much tee vee. Seeing a street address on a piece of mail provides no information at all about the neighborhood in which the house is located. I sincerely doubt that this is the method used by the homies in town. They'd probably get a big laugh out of this stuff.

How about we at least try to stay on topic: OPEN CARRY

True, an exposed address is not a problem by itself. But if you leave something that obviously contains more personal information - an envelope with your bank's logo on it, for example - then that becomes a juicy target for someone who wants to engage in identity theft.