• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin stores that infringe upon our rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrickhenry76

Add Basics Coop in Janesville

Basics Food Coop in Janesville recently posted a no guns sign at the front door.

I agree, however, with others that this thread is misnamed with the phrase "infringe upon our rights"

Private property owners certainly have the right to ban guns on their property, decide on their hours open to the public, require certain dress, decide if smoking is allowed or not (state law was passed in error), and even choose their customers.

It seems a better thread name may be "Businesses frightened by personal rights" or "Businesses against personal liberty" or "Businesses for bodily harm and rape"

Have Gun - Will Carry

Shooters Sports in Racine on 6 mile road only allows OC if you are an LEO. No signs posted. Was informed by an employee that it is the owners policy.

Oh rreeeaallly? Well, thanks for the info - that's the last time I ever patronize THAT place! I'll have to let the owner know what I think of his policy, and tell him it's too bad they're going to lose customers because of it.

protias

It seems a better thread name may be "Businesses frightened by personal rights" or "Businesses against personal liberty" or "Businesses for bodily harm and rape"

Second Amendment

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Wisconsin Constitution, Article 1, Section 25

The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.

I choose the title because of those two statements.

BROKENSPROKET

Second Amendment

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Wisconsin Constitution, Article 1, Section 25

The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.

I choose the title because of those two statements.

OK. I don't agree that private property owners that operate business's that are open to the general public on said property can dissallow lawful activity which are constitutional protected. But the law says that I am wrong. Public Accomadation will be brought to the forefront of Gun Rights issues at some point.

As far as thread titles goes, since business owners still have a legal basis to either honor our constitutional rights or deny them, I vote for 'Stores that deny us our rights'

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
OK. I don't agree that private property owners that operate business's that are open to the general public on said property can dissallow lawful activity which are constitutional protected. But the law says that I am wrong. Public Accomadation will be brought to the forefront of Gun Rights issues at some point.

As far as thread titles goes, since business owners still have a legal basis to either honor our constitutional rights or deny them, I vote for 'Stores that deny us our rights'

Why don't you agree that private property owners can control what happens on their property? Where would YOU draw the line on what the government says you can and can not do on YOUR property?

I personally believe that public accommodations are unconstitutional and violate the rights of private property owners.

BROKENSPROKET

Why don't you agree that private property owners can control what happens on their property? Where would YOU draw the line on what the government says you can and can not do on YOUR property?

I personally believe that public accommodations are unconstitutional and violate the rights of private property owners.

The problem that I see it that any property, that is not owned by some governmental organization, is classified as private property. As far as I can tell from all the other times this has come up, without doing my own legal reasearch, is that from a legal standpoint, there is no difference between my private residence, the shop where my employees make the poduct and the store which is open to the public to come and purchase my product. I should be able to ban weapons on any property I own, except that which is open to the public.

Any business premises where only employees are allowed can ban weapons under employment agreement. Any business premises where a memebership is required to enter can ban wepons under a membership agreement. Any visitors, whether a sales person or contractor can be subject to the same rules. Any business that charges admission can ban weapons as a condition of admission.

Private Property? There is a huge difference between a private residence and a bussiness that is open to the general public.

IF you want, on any property you own, to deny someones basic human rights only affirmed by the Constitution, you can do so, but don't open it up to the public.

Last edited:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
The problem that I see it that any property, that is not owned by some governmental organization, is classified as private property. As far as I can tell from all the other times this has come up, without doing my own legal reasearch, is that from a legal standpoint, there is no difference between my private residence, the shop where my employees make the poduct and the store which is open to the public to come and purchase my product. I should be able to ban weapons on any property I own, except that which is open to the public.

Any business premises where only employees are allowed can ban weapons under employment agreement. Any business premises where a memebership is required to enter can ban wepons under a membership agreement. Any visitors, whether a sales person or contractor can be subject to the same rules. Any business that charges admission can ban weapons as a condition of admission.

Private Property? There is a huge difference between a private residence and a bussiness that is open to the general public.

IF you want, on any property you own, to deny someones basic human rights only affirmed by the Constitution, you can do so, but don't open it up to the public.

All that your argument does is bring us around in a circle. I could then respond: if you don't like the rules of my private property, whether open to the public or not, then don't go there.

Then who's rights trump who's? It's fairly obvious. You have no legal right to my property whether its open to the public or not. I, as a store owner am allowing you; the visitor, the privilege be on my property; a privilege that I have the right to deny.

If somehow you have a government protected privilege to do as you please on my property its even less mine and more the governments. Soon, no one has any rights. Rights which have their very foundation on property. Rights we took back from the King who owned all of the property in the realm many years before.

phred

Here's a thought,

I understand that you cannot deny admittance or acceptance based on race, creed, color, sex etc if you are renting property or for that matter any other business. It is my belief that you can't deny service to someone because of his "attributes".

How then can a business deny me entrance because of a belief that I need to protect myself? Do they not take on the entire responsibility of protecting me if they do not allow me to protect myself?

Just asking

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Here's a thought,

I understand that you cannot deny admittance or acceptance based on race, creed, color, sex etc if you are renting property or for that matter any other business. It is my belief that you can't deny service to someone because of his "attributes".

How then can a business deny me entrance because of a belief that I need to protect myself? Do they not take on the entire responsibility of protecting me if they do not allow me to protect myself?

Just asking

Good question, with a very simple answer: Don't go there.

Or....

Yell about it, scream through a loudspeaker and boycott a business that is doing something; anything, you don't like. If your cause is popular you will win as the business bows to the almighty dollar. Those are your tools, not the government and more laws.

phred

I was asking rhetorically.

I think this is a deja vu moment. I remember a thread that had this same line of discussion - so I looked it up.

On 10-13-2010 12:07 PM
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...nfringe-upon-our-rights&p=1377878#post1377878

The most obvious is to not go someplace where you cannot protect yourself. If you have choices, then the business owner who doesn't allow self-protection of clients loses the sales. If you don't have choices,well then you need to ascertain which is more important - your need for the product or service, or your need for self-protection. I don't like it, but until the business realizes the losses,they will continue to deny your access on your terms.

And of course, we can work for a change in the way people think and/or the law.

I thought this sounded familiar!! duh

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I was asking rhetorically.

I think this is a deja vu moment. I remember a thread that had this same line of discussion - so I looked it up.

On 10-13-2010 12:07 PM
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...nfringe-upon-our-rights&p=1377878#post1377878

I thought this sounded familiar!! duh
Same thread even! LOL

Come to think of it, this very thread is an exercise of what to do when you don't like a company's rules. You do this, you don't ask for more infringement from the Government.

Status
Not open for further replies.