• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pro-Gun VA Democrats Win Endorsement from the NRA

The Donkey

"Shove down our throats," eh?

Fred, you have been drinking too much of the Frank Luntz/Word Doctors tea again.

Guess what? I don't need a "Krystal Ball" for my next prediction:

Obama and the democrats are gonna wipe the floor with many of these new guys in 2012, and the Republican victory in the House helped that along considerably.

Don't know whether it will be Periello and Boucher next time though. Certainly won't be Nye.

Now all we democrats have to do is watch em dance.

But we are going to do considerably more than that.

Forty-five

...Obama and the democrats are gonna wipe the floor with many of these new guys in 2012, and the Republican victory in the House helped that along considerably...

I'm not certain that I entirely agree. Yes, voter turnout will likely be greater. The economy may even be better by then. However, the results of last Tuesday reduced Virginia Democrats’ strength in the redistricting process in 2011 and will likely set up a battle between: a) the Republican House of Delegates (59-39-2) with the Republican Governor; and b) the Democratic state Senate (22-18). The GOP House and Gov. will try to shore up swing districts by making them a bit more conservative. If they are sucessful, this will make it more difficult for the Dems to recapture those seats. While the Democratic state Senate will have other designs, the Governor can use his veto power. Other states where the GOP did well in state legislatures should witness the same effect.

The Donkey

I'm not certain that I entirely agree. Yes, voter turnout will likely be greater. The economy may even be better by then. However, the results of last Tuesday reduced Virginia Democrats’ strength in the redistricting process in 2011 and will likely set up a battle between: a) the Republican House of Delegates (59-39-2) with the Republican Governor; and b) the Democratic state Senate (22-18). The GOP House and Gov. will try to shore up swing districts by making them a bit more conservative. If they are sucessful, this will make it more difficult for the Dems to recapture those seats. While the Democratic state Senate will have other designs, the Governor can use his veto power. Other states where the GOP did well in state legislatures should witness the same effect.

It will be interesting to see how well republicans protect their party in redistricting, or whether the main "party" protected in redistricting is the "Incumbant Party."

Whatever else you might say about him, Virginia Democratic Senate Majority Leader Dick Saslaw is also a pretty wiley guy. Virginia Republicans go into redistricting well-matched.

You forgot the other great republican advantage: the ability to mobilize great amounts of corporate $ without a return address as a result of the "Citizens United" decision.

In spite of all that, I think that Virginia democrats will do very well in 2011 and 2012. I am hoping that pro-gun democrats are a good part of the mix.

TFred

You forgot the other great republican advantage: the ability to mobilize great amounts of corporate $ without a return address as a result of the "Citizens United" decision.
It's pretty hard to keep up with the similarly unregulated Union dollars... It's almost amusing how unregulated money from one side is standard operating procedure, but from the other it's the end of Democracy as we know it...

TFred

The Donkey

It's pretty hard to keep up with the similarly unregulated Union dollars... It's almost amusing how unregulated money from one side is standard operating procedure, but from the other it's the end of Democracy as we know it...

TFred

Not hard at all.

http://www.opensecrets.org/overview/527cmtes.php

Important to remember that the link above lists 527s only, not 501(c)4s or 501(c)6s: nobody but them and their donors know where their money comes from, or where it goes.