• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lasermax and a glock 23C

strife1013

I was looking at adding an internal laser sight to my Glock 23C by lasermax however they do not fit into the forth generation models. I just bought my weapon on Monday and I am unsure what generation model my firearm is, does anyone know how to look that up?

Thanks

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
A 4th gen Glock will have curved serrations on the slide & bunch of raised dots all over the sides of the grip. Here's a pic of a 4th gen Glock 22:

4th-gen-g22.jpg

Also, the 4th gen glocks have a removable backstrap so you can customize the size/feel of the grip to an extent.

Beerme

Banned
Cool, I have the third generation one, however I have been reading the lasermax is jamming up their glocks, not sure if I should get it or not.
disregard his post he is wrong as ****.
That is a Glock RTF2

a Gen 4 has straight cuts
new grip texture
a larger mag release button
new recoil spring
and a smaller grip in the rear with 2 sizing replacements.

Do not answer questions unless you actually know what you're talking about.

Snakemathis

disregard his post he is wrong as ****.
That is a Glock RTF2

a Gen 4 has straight cuts
new grip texture
a larger mag release button
new recoil spring
and a smaller grip in the rear with 2 sizing replacements.

Do not answer questions unless you actually know what you're talking about.

WOW! Very nice! I suggest you learn some manners and try to teach people instead of being an A$$ hole. Being a tough guy know it all on the internet isnt cool, helping someone who has a lesser understanding than you is. So why dont you do some growing up and come back when you can post like a gentleman. Have a nice day.

rotty

Cool, I have the third generation one, however I have been reading the lasermax is jamming up their glocks, not sure if I should get it or not.

I have lasermax on my G19 and G22C. Never had jamming issues. For range time you are going to want to switch back to the stock spring. Excessive dirt seems to gum up the contacts and the plastic end can show wear after time causing the laser to not function.

I would strongly consider the crimson trace for your Glock but that is just my 2 cents after using them for a while. The lasermax forces you to actually reach for the switch.. whereas the CT is no extra thought.

strife1013

I have lasermax on my G19 and G22C. Never had jamming issues. For range time you are going to want to switch back to the stock spring. Excessive dirt seems to gum up the contacts and the plastic end can show wear after time causing the laser to not function.

I would strongly consider the crimson trace for your Glock but that is just my 2 cents after using them for a while. The lasermax forces you to actually reach for the switch.. whereas the CT is no extra thought.

What I like about the laser max is the internal feature, not wanting any extra bulk or cosmetic changes to my handgun. :) I'm looking at the website now and thanks for the suggestion.

45acpForMe

I have a lasermax guide rail laser for my Sig P220.

I had severe issues with mine and sent it back to get a new cap. The original would come undone internal to the gun and cause jams. After getting the new cap it worked alot better but I was still getting occasional jams. At the time it was my every day carry gun and I couldn't afford ANY jams so I took it out. So for the money I think the crimson trace solutions were better because they don't muck with the internals of the gun.

When it worked it was pretty nice but again you had to turn it on and off intentionally rather than simply grabbing the gun and having it on. All in all I simply prefer night sights on my guns over a laser. I do have a crimson trace on another gun and like it. It had some issues too with the battery cover coming off during mag changes. I asked for and got a replacement part but it still has some play that I don't understand why they don't spend .0001 cent more and add a little plastic to have it lock in place.

The good news is you can always add them in the future. They aren't cheap so I would start and get used to your gun first then decide later whether to add a laser or not.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Dude, but I'm sorry.

You wrote:

I have a lasermax guide rail laser for my Sig P220.

I'm not sure how to respond to this except to say... So What?

FIND your target (I'm not it).

AIM your weapon.

Fire.

If this is beyond you charter, then perhaps you're merely playing at games.

45acpForMe

Dude, but I'm sorry. I'm not sure how to respond to this except to say... So What?

The OP wanted some input on lasermax lasers. I provided my experience.

As to the argument for or against lasers, when I was newer to firearms I was very pro-laser. As I became more familiar and comfortable with them I became neutral. Lasers will help people in low light and that have to shoot from strange positions, (under cars at ankles) or where you can't extend to line up sights.

So if you want to spend the money and get a laser go for it, if not, use the money for some night sights or more ammo for practice.

since9

Campaign Veteran
The OP wanted some input on lasermax lasers. I provided my experience.

Sorry. I didn't mean to be flippant.

As to the argument for or against lasers, when I was newer to firearms I was very pro-laser. As I became more familiar and comfortable with them I became neutral. Lasers will help people in low light and that have to shoot from strange positions, (under cars at ankles) or where you can't extend to line up sights.

I would argue that while one is attempting to line up a laser, the other guy who's proficient at shooting without them will have fired three times, and accurately.

Well, the jury's still out on whether they're a help, a hindrance, or even dangerous. But that's material for a different thread.

Last edited:

heresyourdipstickjimmy

A 4th gen Glock will have curved serrations on the slide & bunch of raised dots all over the sides of the grip. Here's a pic of a 4th gen Glock 22:

4th-gen-g22.jpg

Also, the 4th gen glocks have a removable backstrap so you can customize the size/feel of the grip to an extent.

That sure looks like it's the fish-gill generation that was pre-Gen4 and didn't get the following that it should have.

The Gen 4 has the new widened mag release and is reversible, interchangeable back straps, less aggressive front strap finger grooves, and is available in the RTF2 while they last. The RTF2 will become a LEO only package eventually.

This is what a Gen 4 should look like, note the wider and elongated mag release and the texture. Don't get me wrong, the fish-gill gen 3 was sweet.
http://www.ammoland.com/2010/01/24/glock-22-gen4-and-glock-17-gen4-pistols/
I still wish Glock would wise-up and install the extended slide stop on all of their pistols. Of course, after owning a Glock 34 I'd also like to see that trigger package in all of their pistols....sah-weet!

Back to the Lasermax issue. I've only had experience with the early generations of the Lasermax products. I didn't like that I had to disassemble the pistol to turn on the laser, so I stayed away from it. If they've changed/corrected that issue I'd again look at their products. I've used the Crimson Trace units myself and like them, but I'm not keen on how bulky it makes a Glock look. Why oh why can't Lasermax, CTC, and Glock get together and build a pistol around an internally mounted externally activated laser?

Well, Lasermax changed A LOT from the gen1! http://www.lasermax.com/installation_guides/pdfs/Mini_Glock_Manual_-NP.pdf
Note, the Lasermax will not fit the Gen 4 Glocks.

Last edited: