• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Challenge to gun ban on postal service property

Bill Starks

State Researcher
“Attorney Jim Manley and the Mountain States Legal Foundation are taking on the US Postal Service’s ban on any firearm on USPS property. The challenge is on behalf of Debbie and Tab Bonidy of Avon, Colorado …. The Bonidys live in a rural area of Colorado that doesn’t have home mail delivery. Because of that, the local post office in Avon, Colorado provides the residents of the area with a post office box at no charge. While they both have Colorado concealed carry permits and regularly carry, the Bonidys cannot carry concealed or openly when picking up their mail. They even can’t leave their firearms locked in their car as this would violate 39 C.F.R. § 232.1(l).” (10/06/10)

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2010/10/challenge-to-ban-on-firearms-on-postal.html

since9

Campaign Veteran
“Attorney Jim Manley and the Mountain States Legal Foundation are taking on the US Postal Service’s ban on any firearm on USPS property. The challenge is on behalf of Debbie and Tab Bonidy of Avon, Colorado …. The Bonidys live in a rural area of Colorado that doesn’t have home mail delivery. Because of that, the local post office in Avon, Colorado provides the residents of the area with a post office box at no charge. While they both have Colorado concealed carry permits and regularly carry, the Bonidys cannot carry concealed or openly when picking up their mail. They even can’t leave their firearms locked in their car as this would violate 39 C.F.R. § 232.1(l).” (10/06/10)

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2010/10/challenge-to-ban-on-firearms-on-postal.html

I'm all for overturning any and all statutes prohibiting both open and concealed carry on USPS property.

Yes, the USPS has born the brunt of employee firearms offenses. I would ask, however, if depriving the other 278 employees of their reight to defend themselves in accordance with the Constitutional rights for which I swore, fought, and defended for more than twenty years, is worth protecting the single individual right of the most vociferous complainer, when the results of said complainer resulted in both an absolute restriction against employees being able to protect themselves and a number of dead?

Yeah, I'd call that a very decided failed experiment...

TFred

This is a very good first step, but I have to say, reading through the complaint, and their over-the-top references to the fact that their plaintiffs have concealed carry permits leaves a rather bad taste in my mouth.

They should have hammered "lawfully possessed", not "permitted".

The last thing we need is for some judge to half-fix this problem for permit holders only. Of course there is no constitutional basis for permits anyway, so to do that they would have to make up law... so yeah, that possibility scares me.

TFred

johnny amish

The key is not to flood the courts, but to pick very good cases, in very good jurisdictions that are likely to win.

Better to win all few cases than to flood the courts and lose some of them.

TFred

Good point, the reason I said flooded is because with over 20,000 gun laws on the books today it should be easy to find enough good cases to flood the courts.