• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Suing the Post office over gun ban...Finally

beebobby

It shows how far the pro-freedom movement has come when we can finally challenge one of the anti-gun rulings that was prompted by one of the first workplace shooting incidents. Perhaps folks are starting to realize that forcing law abiding people to be unarmed doesn't stop crazy folks.

aadvark

I sincerely hope that they win in light of 18 U.S.C. 930(d)(3)!
It is about time that a Federal Court defines what the phrase: '... ncident to... other Lawful purposes.'

mrjam2jab

How come the PO is Federal when it's convenient for them? Either they are or they aren't. I spoke with a retired Post Master and he said they are "quasi-federal". What is THAT supposed to mean?

since9

Campaign Veteran
It shows how far the pro-freedom movement has come when we can finally challenge one of the anti-gun rulings that was prompted by one of the first workplace shooting incidents. Perhaps folks are starting to realize that forcing law abiding people to be unarmed doesn't stop crazy folks.

Hey! You get it! I wish more of our politicians had even half this clue.

How come the PO is Federal when it's convenient for them? Either they are or they aren't. I spoke with a retired Post Master and he said they are "quasi-federal". What is THAT supposed to mean?

The term "quasi-federal" means that they're a managed spin-off of the U.S. Government. They're still a government agency. It's just that they're "independant."

They continue to exist by federal mandate, their rates are subject to approval by the government, and their management practices have some rather serious oversight by the federal government. Meanwhile, their financial system, including all revenues and payments for services and employees, remains internal to themselves. That doesn't stop the feds from subsidizing them with our taxpayer dollars, though, as they're still a federal agency.

In summary:

"Though postal services have existed on American territory before the United States' establishment, the USPS's first incarnation was established by Benjamin Franklin in Philadelphia in 1775, by decree of the Second Continental Congress. The Post Office Department was created from Franklin's operation in 1792, as part of the United States Cabinet, then was transformed into its current form in 1983, under the Postal Reorganization Act." - Source

I sincerely hope that they win in light of 18 U.S.C. 930(d)(3)!
It is about time that a Federal Court defines what the phrase: '... ncident to... other Lawful purposes.'

Got a like? While your comment may be true, throwing out code references without supplying at least a well-known title, a summary, or a link just leaves most readers here scratching our heads. Just a courtesy thing - we can't all be legal experts like yourself!

Thanks.

Last edited: