• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Luther Strange's Stance on OC Requested

eye95

Not having heard back from the Strange campaign regarding the message I left, I called again today. The young lady listened attentively for about five minutes as I explained the OC situation in Alabama and asked two questions of the Strange campaign. She indicated that I should ask formally so that the campaign could answer formally and provided me an email address. I sent her the following email:

The folks at AlabamaOpenCarry.com are trying to decide which candidates to support in the upcoming election. We are particularly interested in the Attorney General race as it impacts the issue that is the heart of our site: the lawful open carry of firearms.

Open carry (OC) is legal in Alabama. We have Alabama Supreme Court rulings and several Attorney General opinions to back this up. Unfortunately, individual law enforcement agencies (LEAs) and officers (LEOs) don't always respect the right as protected in the Alabama Constitution and supported by the aforementioned rulings and opinions. Montgomery, after an unlawful detention of me, has changed its policy to recognize this right and adapted its LEO training accordingly. The Montgomery County Sheriff's Office has a long history of supporting OC.

Unfortunately, some LEAs are not so enlightened. Two of our members were arrested in Birmingham for lawful OC. Under Alabama law, they could not be charged with a firearms related offense. However, they were charged with disorderly conduct despite having done nothing but lawfully OC. The charges against one of the two has been dropped. Charges are proceeding against the other.

There was also an incident in Dothan, where one of our members had his firearm and permit seized. They were ultimately returned, but his rights were violated nonetheless. Also, one bullet was missing, without explanation. We can only assume his weapon was fired for ballistic testing, an unlawful search and seizure.

Both candidates in the race have an "A" rating from the NRA and excellent histories with regard to the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. However, we at Alabama Open Carry are specifically interested in the stances of both candidates specifically as they apply to OC. We have two very specific questions:

1. Will Luther Strange explicitly affirm the opinions of previous AGs that openly carry of a firearm while on foot is lawful?

2. What affirmative steps will Luther Strange take as AG to stop the unlawful harassment of open carriers by LEAs and LEOs who are unaware of or unwilling to accept both the lawfulness of OC and the fact that its practice is a constitutionally-protected right?

Your answers will be published publicly on AlabamaOpenCarry.com (our State site) and OpenCarry.org (the national site).

Thank you in advance for taking the time to consider this matter.

Treborfoot

I have a suggestion on concerning your request from Luther Strange. Send it by certified mail with return. That way you know he received the message because the post office will send you a receipt stating that he did.

JoeSparky

Centurion
I have a suggestion on concerning your request from Luther Strange. Send it by certified mail with return. That way you know he received the message because the post office will send you a receipt stating that he did.
It will provide evidence ONLY that someone whose name may not be legible signed for the mailed item....