• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at Walmart

army74

does anyone know what the corporate policy is on this one. Since i was told rudely by a general manager and found out he is a store manager that corporate doesnt dictate to him what he can do in his store and to leave. He didnt tell me to leave unti there was roughly 4 to 5 OCSD there and of course i left and said i would be contacting corporate the officer told me know need to get mad i replied i wasnt. Ironically i was there buying a recorder.

Bailenforcer

Please contact Wal-Mart corporate these idiots need to be called on the carpet, and tell them about the "my store" comment. I am sure Wal-Mart corporate would like to know he owns the store lol.
My Father worked for Wal-Mart when he retired and he told me in NO uncertain terms they have no patience for employees who think they can do what they think is best when it violates Corporate policy.

does anyone know what the corporate policy is on this one. Since i was told rudely by a general manager and found out he is a store manager that corporate doesnt dictate to him what he can do in his store and to leave. He didnt tell me to leave unti there was roughly 4 to 5 OCSD there and of course i left and said i would be contacting corporate the officer told me know need to get mad i replied i wasnt. Ironically i was there buying a recorder.

Last edited:

Bronson

Last I knew Walmart's policy was to follow state law BUT they also will leave it to the managers discretion. So basically they don't really have a solid corporate policy that is binding on the management of all Walmart locations.

Bronson

lotus1

my friend and I went shooting last night at OCSC so I needed to load up on ammo.

OC'd in Walmart in Commerce with no problems. Manager even walked by me a few times (honestly not sure if he even noticed). The two guys who sold me the ammo definitely noticed, never said anything about it. They were extremely kind.

Unfortunately they were out of Federal 9mm so I had to buy the more expensive Winchester ammo.

kryptonian

my friend and I went shooting last night at OCSC so I needed to load up on ammo.

OC'd in Walmart in Commerce with no problems. Manager even walked by me a few times (honestly not sure if he even noticed). The two guys who sold me the ammo definitely noticed, never said anything about it. They were extremely kind.

Unfortunately they were out of Federal 9mm so I had to buy the more expensive Winchester ammo.

lotus1 - i OC in that commerce walmart too and never had a problem. OC at several others no problem - new hudson, howell, white lake, fowlerville but was asked not to return OC in hartland.
they let me finish my shopping and pay.

detroit_fan

Last I knew Walmart's policy was to follow state law BUT they also will leave it to the managers discretion. So basically they don't really have a solid corporate policy that is binding on the management of all Walmart locations.

Bronson

This is what i heard last too. So he may very well be able to tell you not to carry there if he is store manager.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

Bronson

This was my experience when I was asked to leave the local Walmart and told never to return w/ a firearm. I called corporate and yes, they follow state law BUT do leave any decision up to the manager. I also emailed corporate some days later and again some months later (thinking that perhaps I just got a response from some newb) and got the same response. Also, remember that Walmart is the sole retail partner of "Mayors Against Illegal Guns". With this experience, and such things as removing firearm sales from a large number of stores, I consider them solidly opposed to OC and firearm rights in general. In my opinion, they are "pretending" to be pro-2A because to do otherwise would cost them money. But, when it really comes down to their ACTUAL behavior, they are the worst type of enemy to 2-A rights: Charlatans!

see: http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/partnership/partnership.shtml

Last edited:

army74

OC walmart

It was in Rochester Hills at M59 and Adams. I was there 2 days ago and been going in there for 6months. It was the door greeter who called on me. If they tell me not to then ill go to another store or even spend my money at meijer.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
lotus1 - i OC in that commerce walmart too and never had a problem. OC at several others no problem - new hudson, howell, white lake, fowlerville but was asked not to return OC in hartland.
they let me finish my shopping and pay.

At least they told you you can carry (cc), I was told never to carry in the store ("just leave it in my car"). Yeah, RIGHT (sarcasm) :banghead: Since then I refuse to purchase ANY Walmart products. I even made a person return all of the party supplies they had purchased from Walmart for a staff party of which I was in charge.

detroit_fan

It was in Rochester Hills at M59 and Adams. I was there 2 days ago and been going in there for 6months. It was the door greeter who called on me. If they tell me not to then ill go to another store or even spend my money at meijer.

i stopped going to walmart years ago and go to meijer now. i much prefer supporting a michigan based company anyways.

jhp

POSTED THIS IN ANOTHER TOPIC BUT SENSE THIS ONE SEEMS MORE APPROPRIATE I'M POSTING HERE TOO

Okay here's the problem I had tonight and I'm gonna look into Walmarts open carry policy and would appreciate any help. I live in Virginia which is a open carry state I am also licensed with my CCW. I have been to the Walmart right down the road from my house many times and have carried concealed and open in there many times with no problems at all until tonight. one of the new heads there who also happens to be someone who told me it was state law that they can't sell ammo after 10pm. Which he said he would show me on paper and which he came back later and said he was wrong. after I had to argue with him about it. Well he seen me in there tonight and asked what was going on I stated nothing same stuff different day. as he walked by he seen my pistol being open carried to which he ask me to cover it up that its company policy that it can't be visible. I did what he asked but stated I seen no sign posted nor have I ever had a problem with it and Virginia is an open carry state. He said he was positive it was store policy but never offer to show me nor did he have it on paper. My thing is this is the same guy who was so sure about the ammo and was completely wrong. So I told him I'm gonna look into it personally as I have never had a problem before with open carry. Anyone have any info? If I'm wrong then I'm wrong but I want to be proved wrong

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
The manager is lying. There is absolutely no corporate policy that says "No Open Carry"

The company stance is to follow state law, so technically they can ask you to leave, as state law allows that.

It IS a policy to identify your name and title in the store before asking someone to leave the store also.

PS - I am an hourly supervisor there and have extensively researched policies regarding this, as well as had our loss prevention and store manager look into it for me, there is no policy, period.

SIGguy229

Tell this guy you are not subject to store policies...employees are.

Remind him you are a customer.....you're there to spend money....and for him to go find thieves that are stealing from the company.

jm62383

The only firearms policy that walmart has is that an employee may not possess a firearm at or in route to(Parking lot) work or any company function unless state laws states otherwise. There are a few states that actually allow employees to keep a firearm locked inside their car while at work. For the record Michigan is not one of them.

As for the OP, Ive OC'd a few times in the Roch Hills walmart without issue. Your best course of action is to call corporate and tell them how rude he was to you. I would explain the firearms issue and how its legal but they wont care as much about firearms because it is left to the store GM to decide but they don't particularly like managers to be rude to long term customers.

kryptonian

instead of picnics since it's getting colder out maybe a few organized OC mass shopping trips. would make a statement and much less likely to approach 20 OC people all over the store. just wonder if that would either backfire and make them push the policy against OC or opposite make them realize they are fighting the wrong cause.
just a FYI about walmart. their suppliers that sell there do it on consignment. if your product is damaged, stolen, goes bad or whatever you don't get paid. they have deals for brand items made cheaper but still have the same label but is barcoded just for them. hanes underwear has a whole seperate line that uses lower thread count but still looks like their regular product. their union busting tactics are close to illegal. they will close a store before they let it even consider a union. they are the #1 employer in the united states by the way. they tell employees tricks to get benefits from the state so they won't have to. they also bully their way into communities that don't want them there. when the fowlerville store was in consideration they were told no. they said then we will put it on the other side of the freeway that isn't fowlerville and it will still be there and you won't get the tax revenue. walmart brings walmart people to your community.
i'm sure there are more issues i left out but thats just the ones i know about. on a side note when i went to my CPL class i needed 2 boxes of 9mm so i stopped at walmart. nobody back in sporting goods so i brought it to the front cashiers. was in line with the cigarettes (i don't smoke) but was also the express lane. everybody else in line wanted cigarettes but the very young cash girl couldn't ring up cigarettes so she had either another employee hit the sale key or ask the customer. that alone was amusing and when i put my ammo on the counter the girl scanned it - "is this for a handgun"? said yes. second box - "yes. just like the other one". i then asked in front of everybody "you can't sell me cigarettes but you can sell me ammunition"? a few giggles and she said yeah.
let me know the feedback about a mass shopping trip.

rj3663

I had a thread a few weeks back that got locked because of the off topic assaults but I was ocing at wal mart in fowlerville and loss prevention called the pd on me. i was asked for id and i informed the leo that it was wal mart policy to follow state laws regarding such things. Venator has since sent the leo an info packet. I would think that a similar packet may go a long way to educate this guy as well. Why get someone fired just because theyre ill informed.