Thread: Help with a bit of information on carry without permit (non GA res. / no reciprocity)

Founder's Club Member

Help with a bit of information on carry without permit (non GA res. / no reciprocity)

It appears that there is a possibility that I may have to go to GA for a trip before the year is out.
    I'll be driving down a rental car and staying in a hotel. I am good up to the GA border but not in GA. Is there any legal method I can use to bring it along for the trip?
    If so what about in the hotel room?
    Thanks for any input.

Toad:

You are good in your Private Motor Vehicle, IF you are eligible for a Georgia Weapons Carry License, REGARDLESS, of whether or not you actually have one.
    Weapons, as defined under 16-11-125.1, are allowed to be Carried on your Person in Public, so as long as they are enclosed in a Case, provided; that if the Weapon is a Handgun, then, it has to be unloaded as well.

Please review Georgia Codes 16-11-125.1 AND 16-11-126.
    Off-Limit Areas are under Georgia Codes 16-11-127 through 16-11-127.2.

aadvark
    Last edited by aadvark; 10-09-2010 at 02:59 PM.

State Researcher
    I strongly suggest getting a license from a state that has reciprocity with Georgia. The quickest & cheapest state would be Pennsylvania ($26 for 5 years if you have a license/permit from your home state). Other options include Arizona, Florida, New Hampshire, and Utah. Each of these states have different levels of reciprocity with other states as well as greatly varying fees and other licensing requirements.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

You are not allowed to carry in the rental car since it is not "YOUR" vehicle. Best to be unloaded and seperate from ammo and in trunk or in locked container.

Hotel room should not be a problem.

IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by aadvark View Post
    Toad:

You are good in your Private Motor Vehicle, IF you are eligible for a Georgia Weapons Carry License, REGARDLESS, of whether or not you actually have one.
    Weapons, as defined under 16-11-125.1, are allowed to be Carried on your Person in Public, so as long as they are enclosed in a Case, provided; that if the Weapon is a Handgun, then, it has to be unloaded as well.

Please review Georgia Codes 16-11-125.1 AND 16-11-126.
    Off-Limit Areas are under Georgia Codes 16-11-127 through 16-11-127.2.

aadvark
    One may carry in "ANY" vehicle if one is eligible for a license. If not eligible (as the OP isn't due to residency) then he may only carry in HIS/HER OWN vehicle (you are on the title.)

Founder's Club Member
    Well thanks for the replies all. Unfortunately not the news I wanted to hear and not enough time to get a non-res PA. It is truly apparent that all of the states still need a lot of damage control done to clean up the crazy laws! Oh well guess I'll have to leave it home and hope for the best.
    Thanks again!

Non-res PA takes less than 2 weeks.

ETA: http://www.co.centre.pa.us/211.asp
    Last edited by Kingfish; 10-12-2010 at 10:47 AM.

KingFish:

You are correct..., as I did not think about the situtations you have citied.

aadvark