• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help with a bit of information on carry without permit (non GA res. / no reciprocity)

Toad

Founder's Club Member
It appears that there is a possibility that I may have to go to GA for a trip before the year is out.
I'll be driving down a rental car and staying in a hotel. I am good up to the GA border but not in GA. Is there any legal method I can use to bring it along for the trip?
If so what about in the hotel room?
Thanks for any input.

aadvark

Toad:

You are good in your Private Motor Vehicle, IF you are eligible for a Georgia Weapons Carry License, REGARDLESS, of whether or not you actually have one.
Weapons, as defined under 16-11-125.1, are allowed to be Carried on your Person in Public, so as long as they are enclosed in a Case, provided; that if the Weapon is a Handgun, then, it has to be unloaded as well.

Please review Georgia Codes 16-11-125.1 AND 16-11-126.
Off-Limit Areas are under Georgia Codes 16-11-127 through 16-11-127.2.

aadvark

Last edited:

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
I strongly suggest getting a license from a state that has reciprocity with Georgia. The quickest & cheapest state would be Pennsylvania ($26 for 5 years if you have a license/permit from your home state). Other options include Arizona, Florida, New Hampshire, and Utah. Each of these states have different levels of reciprocity with other states as well as greatly varying fees and other licensing requirements.

Kingfish

You are not allowed to carry in the rental car since it is not "YOUR" vehicle. Best to be unloaded and seperate from ammo and in trunk or in locked container.

Hotel room should not be a problem.

IANAL

Kingfish

Toad:

You are good in your Private Motor Vehicle, IF you are eligible for a Georgia Weapons Carry License, REGARDLESS, of whether or not you actually have one.
Weapons, as defined under 16-11-125.1, are allowed to be Carried on your Person in Public, so as long as they are enclosed in a Case, provided; that if the Weapon is a Handgun, then, it has to be unloaded as well.

Please review Georgia Codes 16-11-125.1 AND 16-11-126.
Off-Limit Areas are under Georgia Codes 16-11-127 through 16-11-127.2.

aadvark

One may carry in "ANY" vehicle if one is eligible for a license. If not eligible (as the OP isn't due to residency) then he may only carry in HIS/HER OWN vehicle (you are on the title.)

Toad

Founder's Club Member
Well thanks for the replies all. Unfortunately not the news I wanted to hear and not enough time to get a non-res PA. It is truly apparent that all of the states still need a lot of damage control done to clean up the crazy laws! Oh well guess I'll have to leave it home and hope for the best.
Thanks again!

aadvark

KingFish:

You are correct..., as I did not think about the situtations you have citied.

aadvark