• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying while jogging?

irish52084

I recently got a dog, Rottweiler German shepherd mix, and I want to carry a pistol while I jog with him late at night. My problem is, I don't have any idea what type of holster would work well for me. I want to carry my glock 32, but I suppose I could carry my CZ 82 if it made any difference.

My first thought was a drop leg holster or maybe a small of back, but it's tough to wear a sturdy belt while jogging. MY concern isn't as much people posing a threat as much as aggressive dogs. I really don't want to try to separate two large fighting dogs.

As a side note, if anyone has a holster suggestion that might accommodate my streamlight trl-1, that would be nice as it will be dark when jogging with him.

Michigander

For dogs, if legal, a 26 or 31" ASP is my suggestion. Dogs move fast, and batons are good at connecting with fast moving assailants.

For either a baton or pistol, a belt, even a cheap leather belt against bare skin, with any reasonably stable holster will work very well. If open carry is required and you must have heavy clothing on for cold weather, a dedicated gun belt with keepers to a pants belt will be very good, particularly if you put a chicago screw through it.

Either the chicago screwed holster on the gun belt on pants belt, or the gun belt on bare skin will be very stable and comfortable. I've used both extensively.

Pants with belts while jogging is kind of heavy, but I guess I'm an oddball, so it's never bothered me. May not relate much to your needs, but I hope the ideas are useful.

irish52084

It's getting colder here at night, so jeans could be a possibility. I also just noticed I posted this in the wrong section, should have gone in holsters and accessories.

meyek91974

Here's your holster

Some time, long time back I had the same question; SO, I went to a fabric shop and bought some 5000 danier nylon fabric for about ten bucks, and some one inch nylon/velcro strap for and additional five dollars. Then off to a tailor or seamstress as it may be (an upholstery shop is where I'd go if I had to do it again though as they have better needles for this) BUT I had them sew a horizontal center of chest holster for me that had shoulder straps like a bra and a horizontal, around the torso strap for securing.

Wear it under your jogging shirt, untucked, and when you draw it's like when enlisted I had a chest/front holster for my Beretta. - only you're drawing horizontally to remove.

if you're not wearing tight jog clothes, but have a kinda loose t-shirt, you'll see that this works GREAT!

sSince, I have made a just-off-from-center front 45 degree holster that is harder to conceal unless your shirt is a size big or long. The holster is on the belt, just above right leg so that when you sit the barrel is between your legs and grip is over leg.

You will feel odd having it point at Mr. Jimmy, but when you practice and see how practicle this holster is you'll probly like it as much as I and the stranger who asked me to make him one. You can get a Blackhawk Serpa and angle it 45degrees for this carry but wear a fitting belt.

I havent found but about twelve years ago I made some horizontal belt mag holsters for glock mags. they worked great as well, till I went to a single stack mag and got rid of them. I can explain them later thoug as it's getting late.

GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING. - AND teach your dogs commands in German, French, Russian, something that he'd know it's YOUR command, It helps sooo much when you need and if you go to a dog park he only responds to you and there's no confusion.

irish52084

i like the bra-esque holster. I might have to give it a try. I also thought about getting a construction style hoody, the ones in bright orange and green with reflective stripes, and making a holster to fit in the large front pocket. Then using an elastic belt sewn to the back of the pocket to go around my waist to keep the gun stable as I run. This way I dint need a heavy belt, but maintain some stability.

Thanks for the dog command suggestion. He's going to be going through his intermediate and advance k-9 training as well as off leash in the next 6 months, then he'll go into protection raining where the commands will be in german. He's shown a strong protection instinct, especially with women, so hopefully he will enjoy the work. He seems to really enjoy having a task to complete and he's really intelligent and well mannered. I've had some smart dogs, but he has to be the best so far. He sure makes me feel better about my family since I work nights. If you break into my house, you're gonna be in for a serious dog fight. If he doesn't get you me or the MRS will. I once heard that a dog was the best home theft deterrent, and I have to agree. In the worst case scenario, the dog buys us enough time to get to a gun and a phone.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If you are looking at chest-mount holsters that are not traditional shoulder holsters, consider the Safe-Packer. http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=catalog&parent=171&pg=1

There's room for your handgun, a reload, and with a little bit of planning you can get a small- or medium-sized flashlight in there. Out of the box they come with straps to do chest or waist carry. They are also good for carrying in the car (seatbelt carry is The Bomb), on a motorcycle, or even a boat (they float, but not for too long, depending on the weight of the gun & accessories).

Admittedly it is not open carry, but sometimes you just need to compromise.

If you want to keep to open carry, try the Model 1942 Tanker's Holster (as in http://www.epsaddlery.com/c-25-shoulder-holsters.aspx but certainly not the only source).

stay safe.

Don Barnett

This Has Always Worked for Me On Dogs

I am not going to guarantee that this will work every time against all dogs, but it has for me, even against German Shepards and Dobermans who were running "hell-bent" towards me.

I turn and face the attacking dog, then run towards it with my hands in the air (it makes you look bigger than you are), yelling and making more noise than it is. NEVER has the dog not turned and run away with a scared look.

Maybe it won't work every time, but if a dog doesn't back down, you're going to get bit anyway.

In Prince William County, VA, you are not allowed to shoot at a dog unless it has actually drawn blood.

Kirbinator

I find the biggest problem is keeping the rig from taking your shorts off. I'm looking at a shoulder rig because my little Ruger LCP drags at my waistline and constantly moves.

SoLasVegas

I've seen these before and would have bought one, but it list 46" chest as the largest size. I have 52" chest in a jacket so I'm assuming it won't fit me well. Wish they made a larger size.

I think they sell an extension for the strap that would make it fit someone who is bigger.

Quote from the site:
NEW!
Jogger Holster Extender
Will extend chest/waist strap to fit up to 58” chest size

Last edited: