• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What "weapons" can I own/carry on my person, legally?

restitution

So I was referred here from yahoo answers.
Here's my deal:

So I was recently interested in owning a pair of Tonfa (a type of martial arts stick weapon), because they looked cool and whatnot... However I put a little bit of thought into the matter, and I realized that because they are technically a weapon, there might be laws that govern when and where such things could be owned and used. This got me on Google, searching around to see what weapons were technically legal to own and carry on your person, and which might get you tackled by a cop, and sent to prison/jail (yeah I have no clue which, but I do know that there is a difference)...

So my real question is this; in the state of Kansas (city of Lawrence if it makes a difference), what types of "weapons" (poles, bludgeons, brass knuckles, knives, batons, etc.) can someone legally own/carry on their person?

I could care less about fire arms, but I do want to know about the less conventional weapons like Tonfa ( like a police night stick but wooden and typically carried in pairs), or a collapsible steel baton. If someone could let me know what exactly I can carry, that is considered a weapon, on my person, without winding up in a world of hurt, then I would greatly appreciate it. Also just to clarify, I wouldn't be intending to use them for anything illegal, and would only ever use them as a "weapon", in the rare chance I need to do so for self defense.... Thanks in advance for the help.

restitution

click on this thread. should answer all your questions.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?66688-Lawrence

Unfortunately I don't exactly see a real answer in the thread you linked. There certainly was quite a bit about concealed weapons (focusing on fire arms), weapons being carried in any manner near a bar, and still more about fire arms, but seeing as how I have no interest in owning a gun for the foreseeable future, and I have even less interest in concealing it, or going into a bar with one, I don't think I caught the part that would be of interest to me (if it was there at all).

What I want to know is what kind of non-fire arm weapons I can carry on my person without having to worry about winding up in trouble with the law or anyone/anything else for that matter. I was under the impression that certain things like a steel telescoping baton, were considered a prohibited weapon, as well as a few other things.
The list of specifically mentioned illegal concealed weapons (not fire arms) for concealed carrying and "with intent to use the same unlawfully against another" are:
dagger, dirk, billy, blackjack, slungshot, dangerous knife, straight-edged razor, and stiletto.
It also has the provision, "or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character."

It then lists an "ordinary pocket knife with no blade more than four inches in length" as the exception for knives.

Those are all fine and dandy details, but what about non-concealed carrying of the same weapons? What determines the legality of the person's intent who is carrying said weapons. Is using them with the intent of self defense legal?
My questions remain unfortunately...

restitution

I don't think you can be helped call the police!

Drat I was rather hoping to avoid that particular activity... Mostly because it just promises to be a generally awkward and potentially confusing phone call (or phone calls till I find someone who has any kind of clue what I'm talking about, and then a few more till I find someone who both understands and knows the answers to my questions...)

Last edited:

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Remember, if it is not against the law, it is presumed to be legal

Drat I was rather hoping to avoid that particular activity... Mostly because it just promises to be a generally awkward and potentially confusing phone call (or phone calls till I find someone who has any kind of clue what I'm talking about, and then a few more till I find someone who both understands and knows the answers to my questions...)

Your weapons do not seem to be mentioned in the Kansas statutes. If that is the case, as long as you do not conceal them, threaten people with them, or disturb the peace with them, you can probably legally carry them.

In the United States, that which is not forbidden is allowed. In many parts of Europe, the attitude is that which is not allowed is forbidden.

Please be aware that simply because an activity is legal, you are not sheilded from harm by the police, the legal system, or other entities. Even if you obtain a letter from an attorney who says what you intend to do is perfectly legal, you can still be victimized by an ignorant, misinformed, or corrupt official.

I hope that you find the above helpful.