• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another case of ME report not supporting initial statements

maclean

Batons can break 2x4s. Hitting someone in the knee with one is a good way to cripple them for life, and that damage is far more than just a bruise. There will be ruptured bursas, torn ligaments, stretched or macerated tissue and tendons, and/or broken bones - any of which should have shown up clearly in the autopsy. If the ME says there was no evidence the guy was hit before being shot, then the officer was lying out his ass.

Batons *can* break 2x4's but I have also seen batons broken or bent on human bone.

The human body is at once weak and strong, depending on angles and force.

oneeyeross

Gads, all this talk of dead people. Haven't thought of the morgue in a long time. Being a diener is a physically demanding job...but fun.

Funny story about one time being alone in the morgue wilth the deceased (I was the new guy) and not knowing there was an intercom down there...I stuck a scalpel into the ceiling...

amlevin

Gads, all this talk of dead people. Haven't thought of the morgue in a long time. Being a diener is a physically demanding job...but fun.

Funny story about one time being alone in the morgue wilth the deceased (I was the new guy) and not knowing there was an intercom down there...I stuck a scalpel into the ceiling...

Not to mention the occasional "body noise" that "passes" and startles you the first time you hear it.

amlevin

2010-02-14_202320_KettleCallingPotBlack-300x265.jpg

ROFLMAO! You come up with some great ones! +1

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

Then again, there are those that prefer to use a thousand words to make the same point.

JoeSparky

Centurion
HAHA! Actually, my co-workers are very much alive, but the names on the top of my case files are people who have recently deceased. Livor mortis (aka, post-mortem lividity) and rigor mortis are two different things.

I've only worked in the HealthCare profession in one way or another since early 1979 and the last 21 years as an ICU nurse so...

My understanding (without going to a dictionary) Rigor Mortis---- the stiffness that occurs in the recently deceased and then leaves after a period of time.
LIVIDITY-- the pooling of blood within the body in areas that are dependent or lower than other parts of the body.

I don't remember hearing the term LIVOR MORTIS.

amlevin

I've only worked in the HealthCare profession in one way or another since early 1979 and the last 21 years as an ICU nurse so...

My understanding (without going to a dictionary) Rigor Mortis---- the stiffness that occurs in the recently deceased and then leaves after a period of time.
LIVIDITY-- the pooling of blood within the body in areas that are dependent or lower than other parts of the body.

I don't remember hearing the term LIVOR MORTIS.

Post Mortem Lividity is the English term.

Livor Mortis is Latin for the same thing.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Livor Mortis is Latin for the same thing.

Well, I'm glad you cleared that up. I was afraid I'd missed a type of cabinetry joint in shop class. :)

I'm sitting here wondering, "what the hell is a livor mortis?" And, "what is a livor that it needs a mortis?"

"I'd like to buy a vowel, Pat."

:D