• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Let's also recognize that Police Officers do good

Ruby

I agree. The good LEOs far outnumber the bad, as is usually the case in any line of work. Let's face it, they have a tough, tough job that few of us would want to do. Let's also remember that they are human and make mistakes just like the rest of us. Let's remember that sometimes things don't actually happen the way they appear to. On the other side of things, we need to continue to stand up for our rights; if we don't, they will be taken from us. We need to take the necessary steps to see that LEOs in our state understand the laws applicable to OC and that they observe them along with our other rights. By doing so, LEOs will be educated and/or eliminated thus insuring a safer environment for them and us.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP To be fair, we also need to recognize that good things happen as well.

True. As long as it does not blind to the problems in the profession. No problem in seeing the full picture. Cops doing beneficial things is a part of that picture.

Separately, don't lose sight of the fact that raking on this forum is mostly a discussion of the individual bad cop or problem. The raking is not unfair for not including praise for good cops. The raking often merely omits good cops because they are not the point of the discussion. The rabid cop-bashers who make broad generalities don't last long here; the mods boot them. The individual posters who get a little too general do get called on it in the thread.

Ruby

I think LEOs and OCers both need to realize that we are on the same side-both are against criminals. Both groups of people have people at both ends of the spectrum, but I think most tend to be in the middle. For the most part, I think the goals of LEAs and LACs is the same-the reduction of crime leading to a safer working and living environment for all of us.

I am currently attending Seattle Community Police Academy in an effort to learn more about what LEOs do and how and why they do it. I have a ride along scheduled for Oct. 20th. I will report here what I learn.

Ruby

I agree. The good LEOs far outnumber the bad, as is usually the case in any line of work. Let's face it, they have a tough, tough job that few of us would want to do. Let's also remember that they are human and make mistakes just like the rest of us. Let's remember that sometimes things don't actually happen the way they appear to. On the other side of things, we need to continue to stand up for our rights; if we don't, they will be taken from us. We need to take the necessary steps to see that LEOs in our state understand the laws applicable to OC and that they observe them along with our other rights. By doing so, LEOs will be educated and/or eliminated thus insuring a safer environment for them and us.

Just want to clarify, by "eliminated" I was referred to being fired or losing the job for improper behavior-nothing else and nothing more than that. I realize one must be careful on here as far as wording goes and did not want anyone to misconstrue what I said.

3/325

People typically talk more about the exception than the rule. This is why "bad" cops are discussed ad nauseum.

Go to Mexico and talk about how corrupt the police are and all you'll get in response is "Yeah, no s#*t Captain Obvious. Thanks for the update."

amlevin

We'll get a big group together and cause a commotion so you have some excitement.
How about a pillow fight at Pike Place everyone?!?!
:lol:

If it gets out of hand, they might have to call in --

mban1248l.jpg

Ruby

You guys are funny! We will be leaving out of South Precinct, but I have no idea where we will patrol. I wouldn't have a pillow fight while OCing, people might get the wrong idea. Enough of them already think we're nuts!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
And some even go so far as to give their own lives to protect others.

Not only Police do this.

Oh, my. Lets wait a while before we get going on the subject again. What say we just let it go with one little clarification. Not particularly pro-cop, nor anti-cop.

There is a difference between risking one's life for another, and giving one's life for another.

Except for loved ones and soldiers (jumping on grenades, etc.) I can't recall the last time I heard of anyone giving their life for another. To come back after the fact and say a giving occurred, when actually a risking-that-resulted-in-dying occurred, is to change things a little bit.

amlevin

Oh, my. Lets wait a while before we get going on the subject again. What say we just let it go with one little clarification. Not particularly pro-cop, nor anti-cop.

There is a difference between risking one's life for another, and giving one's life for another.

Except for loved ones and soldiers (jumping on grenades, etc.) I can't recall the last time I heard of anyone giving their life for another. To come back after the fact and say a giving occurred, when actually a risking-that-resulted-in-dying occurred, is to change things a little bit.

We are totally aware of your view on Police Officers and such. Have you ever considered "Giving it a Rest!!!?????

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
We are totally aware of your view on Police Officers and such. Have you ever considered "Giving it a Rest!!!?????

I was. I begged putting the brakes on where that conversation could go, especially if another poster jumped in, arguing either side of that exchange. And, then I cleared up that both of the posters were overlooking an important distinction.

So, one poster really had nothing to argue against. And, the other was arguing for a nearly non-existent phenomena in policing. If bringing about that state of mind between two posters and any anti-cop readers doesn't stop something before it gets much started, I don't know what would.

If you have something to say against my intolerance of bad-cops or their enablers, or a lingering bias against me for it, please PM me.

amlevin

I was. I begged putting the brakes on where that conversation could go, especially if another poster jumped in, arguing either side of that exchange. And, then I cleared up that both of the posters were overlooking an important distinction.

So, one poster really had nothing to argue against. And, the other was arguing for a nearly non-existent phenomena in policing. If bringing about that state of mind between two posters and any anti-cop readers doesn't stop something before it gets much started, I don't know what would.

If you have something to say against my intolerance of bad-cops or their enablers, or a lingering bias against me for it, please PM me.
I did one better. You are now the first and only listing on my Ignore list.