Thread: Places that don't want your busniess because you open carry

Places that don't want your busniess because you open carry

I am curious as what to say if a place asks you to leave or is worried about open carrying without them having a sign posted on their establishment. Do you just comply and leave?

if asked to leave

From what I understand if you are asked to leave you must leave or possibly be charged with trespassing even if not posted. I may be wrong but this is what I understand.

That's kinda what I understand as well, the same would apply if you don't have a handgun as well. I just think you are more likely to be asked to leave having a weapon than without one.

At the two places (buffalo wild wings and gas station) I was asked to leave from, I did comply, but I first asked if this was a company policy (both have corporate offices in other states) and if there was a manager I could speak with. When no manager was available (gas station) I simply left, took down the store number and the name of the clerk. I called corporate and they had it cleared up with the store managers the next day, I haven't had an issue since. When the manager was available he didn't give me any further information, but he was polite about the encounter and informed that it was corporate policy. I never received confirmation from anyone at their corporate offices, so I will assume that it is.

This is just what has worked for me.

Most encounters that I've had are talking to people about open carry and, more often, what kind of gun I have on.

You can also leave, write a letter, and return unarmed to present your letter directly to the owner.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

B3W is pretty widely known as being anti.

If they don't want my business, plenty of other places do.

I've been open carrying for the past three days but besides from some looks from people and a few nice covo's nothing bad has happened, haven't been asked to leave anywhere yet which is nice. Yay for Colorado Springs

On a more constructive note, I believe it's important to at least attempt to address the issue with the owner/operator/manager, if for no other reason than if you don't, they'll simply become more emboldened in their mis-informed/guided efforts to "improve safety" and the other uber-liberal hogwash.

For another reason, RMGO have discovered, and I've confirmed with my interactions with the managers of about three-dozen stores here in the Springs, that of the few who initially say they don't allow open carry, about a third of them change their minds with a simple visit and short talk with the manager. Another third take a little more time, including some very good material available both here and on the RMGO website.

It's the last third you should leave in the dust and refuse to do business with. When one automatically dumps the other 2/3 into the same hopper as the last third, however, we loose good opportunities as ambassadors to spread goodwill, educate the uninitiated, increase the number of establishments respecting the rights of 2A exercisers, and help deter crime throughout our city.

I have a vision whereby, one day, enough of our honest, law-abiding citizens will be open-carrying that any criminal with half a flip towards self-preservation will either move elsewhere or find a real job.
    Last edited by since9; 10-16-2010 at 12:58 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.