• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Places that don't want your busniess because you open carry

strife1013

I am curious as what to say if a place asks you to leave or is worried about open carrying without them having a sign posted on their establishment. Do you just comply and leave?

INSPGAD

if asked to leave

From what I understand if you are asked to leave you must leave or possibly be charged with trespassing even if not posted. I may be wrong but this is what I understand.

strife1013

That's kinda what I understand as well, the same would apply if you don't have a handgun as well. I just think you are more likely to be asked to leave having a weapon than without one.

ZackL

At the two places (buffalo wild wings and gas station) I was asked to leave from, I did comply, but I first asked if this was a company policy (both have corporate offices in other states) and if there was a manager I could speak with. When no manager was available (gas station) I simply left, took down the store number and the name of the clerk. I called corporate and they had it cleared up with the store managers the next day, I haven't had an issue since. When the manager was available he didn't give me any further information, but he was polite about the encounter and informed that it was corporate policy. I never received confirmation from anyone at their corporate offices, so I will assume that it is.

This is just what has worked for me.

Most encounters that I've had are talking to people about open carry and, more often, what kind of gun I have on.

strife1013

I've been open carrying for the past three days but besides from some looks from people and a few nice covo's nothing bad has happened, haven't been asked to leave anywhere yet which is nice. Yay for Colorado Springs

since9

Campaign Veteran
On a more constructive note, I believe it's important to at least attempt to address the issue with the owner/operator/manager, if for no other reason than if you don't, they'll simply become more emboldened in their mis-informed/guided efforts to "improve safety" and the other uber-liberal hogwash.

For another reason, RMGO have discovered, and I've confirmed with my interactions with the managers of about three-dozen stores here in the Springs, that of the few who initially say they don't allow open carry, about a third of them change their minds with a simple visit and short talk with the manager. Another third take a little more time, including some very good material available both here and on the RMGO website.

It's the last third you should leave in the dust and refuse to do business with. When one automatically dumps the other 2/3 into the same hopper as the last third, however, we loose good opportunities as ambassadors to spread goodwill, educate the uninitiated, increase the number of establishments respecting the rights of 2A exercisers, and help deter crime throughout our city.

I have a vision whereby, one day, enough of our honest, law-abiding citizens will be open-carrying that any criminal with half a flip towards self-preservation will either move elsewhere or find a real job.

Last edited: