Thread: A few questions on open carry in Nevada.

A few questions on open carry in Nevada.

Hello all. I am a Washington state resident, but most of my family lives in Reno and Sparks and I am going to be spending a lot of time with them soon. My main question is would it be legal for me to open carry with an IWB holster and just the handle of my XD subcompact showing? Or with the bottom of a revolver (Colt Trooper in a low slung leather holster) sticking out below a nice warm jacket? Here in WA it seems that open carry is defined by part of the gun always showing and a person making no attempt to conceal it. I saw something saying that in NV it needs to be completely OWB and visible and I am just trying to plan what holsters to bring and if I should even try to carry if it snows a lot and I need to bundle up. My other options are a 1911 in a paddle holster, a Beretta 92 in shoulder holster (not likely) or a LCP in a little leather I/OWB holster. Any of these are completely OC in summer but I would have to tuck a heavy coat into my pants to legally carry the LCP and stay warm. Any guidance is appreciated and if there are any meets around Reno I hope I could come while I am down there.
    Last edited by cougfan; 10-10-2010 at 02:39 AM.

Activist Member
    (a) “Concealed weapon” means a weapon described in this section that is carried upon a person in such a manner as not to be discernible by ordinary observation.
    A weapon must be discernible by ordinary observation.

Personally, I would carry openly in a belt holster to play it safe, with no garments covering it at all. I wouldn't want to take the risk that someone might disagree with me over what is discernible.

A thigh or drop leg holster would work well for wearing a coat. Personally, I just wear a second shirt that is extra warm and tuck it in.
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 10-10-2010 at 02:54 AM.

While in NV, why don't you get a NV non resident permit? I got one while visiting a friend in Vegas. 1 day class with live fire. Then if you accidentally conceal-no big deal.

Hey thanks guys, I am going to go for open carry initially, but I might be getting some work in Reno and if I stay awhile I might as well get the CCW.

yeah the suggestion for a ccw...not really the best site to talk about that, heh. This is an OC forum.

I'd say OWB, your paddle 1911, or shoulder holster on the outside of the jacket. Sure it'll look sorta silly, feel sorta odd, but I know people who in the summer who use shoulder holsters with no jackets here in vegas.

I have no evidence, but just a gut feeling that an IWB would be considered trying to conceal, plus harder to get a jacket tucked inside that. My winter wear in vegas consists of a hoody which is short enough that it doesn't even need tucked in =\. Much colder Reno presents more problems to OC. hrm I never actually thought about the difficulties with coats. Most warm coats are longer preventing OC, unless you have a thigh rig which isn't the most comfortable way to carry...bangin it around all over on stuff while you walk =p

Quote Originally Posted by Lostlittlerobot View Post
    Much colder Reno presents more problems to OC. hrm I never actually thought about the difficulties with coats. Most warm coats are longer preventing OC, unless you have a thigh rig which isn't the most comfortable way to carry...bangin it around all over on stuff while you walk =p
    Yep that's the reason why I am getting my CCW, When I wear my coat it will conceal the gun and its hard to tuck the coat, or when I go to church (might scare the people), or other places I need to go and wont let me carry, but other than that its Open Carry all the way!!
    http://washoecountygunrights.blogspot.com/

*** I am NOT a Lawyer, and I DO NOT have any LEGAL EXPERIENCE OR QUALIFICATIONS ***

MOLON LABE