• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A few questions on open carry in Nevada.

cougfan

Hello all. I am a Washington state resident, but most of my family lives in Reno and Sparks and I am going to be spending a lot of time with them soon. My main question is would it be legal for me to open carry with an IWB holster and just the handle of my XD subcompact showing? Or with the bottom of a revolver (Colt Trooper in a low slung leather holster) sticking out below a nice warm jacket? Here in WA it seems that open carry is defined by part of the gun always showing and a person making no attempt to conceal it. I saw something saying that in NV it needs to be completely OWB and visible and I am just trying to plan what holsters to bring and if I should even try to carry if it snows a lot and I need to bundle up. My other options are a 1911 in a paddle holster, a Beretta 92 in shoulder holster (not likely) or a LCP in a little leather I/OWB holster. Any of these are completely OC in summer but I would have to tuck a heavy coat into my pants to legally carry the LCP and stay warm. Any guidance is appreciated and if there are any meets around Reno I hope I could come while I am down there.

Last edited:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
(a) “Concealed weapon” means a weapon described in this section that is carried upon a person in such a manner as not to be discernible by ordinary observation.

A weapon must be discernible by ordinary observation.

Personally, I would carry openly in a belt holster to play it safe, with no garments covering it at all. I wouldn't want to take the risk that someone might disagree with me over what is discernible.

A thigh or drop leg holster would work well for wearing a coat. Personally, I just wear a second shirt that is extra warm and tuck it in.

Last edited:

swinokur

Activist Member
While in NV, why don't you get a NV non resident permit? I got one while visiting a friend in Vegas. 1 day class with live fire. Then if you accidentally conceal-no big deal.

cougfan

Hey thanks guys, I am going to go for open carry initially, but I might be getting some work in Reno and if I stay awhile I might as well get the CCW.

Lostlittlerobot

yeah the suggestion for a ccw...not really the best site to talk about that, heh. This is an OC forum.

I'd say OWB, your paddle 1911, or shoulder holster on the outside of the jacket. Sure it'll look sorta silly, feel sorta odd, but I know people who in the summer who use shoulder holsters with no jackets here in vegas.

I have no evidence, but just a gut feeling that an IWB would be considered trying to conceal, plus harder to get a jacket tucked inside that. My winter wear in vegas consists of a hoody which is short enough that it doesn't even need tucked in =\. Much colder Reno presents more problems to OC. hrm I never actually thought about the difficulties with coats. Most warm coats are longer preventing OC, unless you have a thigh rig which isn't the most comfortable way to carry...bangin it around all over on stuff while you walk =p

john-in-reno

Much colder Reno presents more problems to OC. hrm I never actually thought about the difficulties with coats. Most warm coats are longer preventing OC, unless you have a thigh rig which isn't the most comfortable way to carry...bangin it around all over on stuff while you walk =p

Yep that's the reason why I am getting my CCW, When I wear my coat it will conceal the gun and its hard to tuck the coat, or when I go to church (might scare the people), or other places I need to go and wont let me carry, but other than that its Open Carry all the way!! :banana: