• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Full day of OC

OPS MARINE

On Friday, 10/08/10, I went to San Francisco. I OC'd, but because I had to visit the Federal Building, I made sure to lock the weapon up and leave it in the vehicle. My stay there was just under an hour. Back outside and OCing again, I had to walk around a few Police Officers as they were coming down the block. They looked at me, smiled, nodded and we were all on our way. No e-check.

From San Francisco, went to Burlingame. Had to get out and ask directions to the nearest Starbucks. Got a few looks, and a bystander questioned me because I didn't wear a badge. I took the time to educate and went on my way.

Starbucks was uneventful at best. I sat with the laptop, did some work...drank some iced coffee and smiled at people who were looking. Packed up and left.

Went to Milpitas and patronized the Great Mall. Had a Security Manager ask me if I was Secret Service or US Marshal. Interesting. Talked to him for a while, and then off to Target Masters. The customer service at Target Masters is incredible. I had a wonderful time there. Although they sort of frown on OC inside the store, the female that greeted me told me to be sure to unholster for FUTURE reference. I never had to take the weapon back outside. I will comply next time I go there, though.

Left Milpitas and went to Eastridge Mall in San Jose. Eating at the food court, I was approached by an armed Security Officer who was prior LE. He'd already asked three people to leave who'd been OCing, but got on the radio and came back with this:

"If you're just going to eat, it's okay, but if you're going to shop, do you mind storing it in your vehicle?" I ate and then decided to go to the Security office, where I was greeted warmly. No one forced me out or looked at me like I had two heads. The manager wasn't in so I got his email information, and I will be commending this officer.

All in all, it was a good day for OC.

Iopencarry

Ops,
other then in San Francisco, you can thank the members of EastBay, Nor-Cal, RCC, 707, and of coarse Bay Area open carry for breaking ground for you. We have been very active in this area for more then a year now.
With over 2000 members in the 9 bay area counties, and about 40-50 that carry daily, We have gotten the good word out to LEO's.
Bay Area has been in San Francisco, Baker Beach clean up, and RCC is there today.

Carry on Sir, you are doing great. Thank you

mjones

Ops,
other then in San Francisco, you can thank the members of EastBay, Nor-Cal, RCC, 707, and of coarse Bay Area open carry for breaking ground for you. We have been very active in this area for more then a year now.
With over 2000 members in the 9 bay area counties, and about 40-50 that carry daily, We have gotten the good word out to LEO's.
Bay Area has been in San Francisco, Baker Beach clean up, and RCC is there today.

Carry on Sir, you are doing great. Thank you

I hate to break it to you - but there are people that OCd in the East Bay that maybe even you should thank. Not that you aren't doing good work...just don't presume you're doing it all...

Iopencarry

I have never said we were the only ones out there. Some of us have been out there carrying before any of these groups were formed.
There are also people that do not like to be in groups that carry. However, it is the group events and meet up that have gotten the LEO's use to OC.
We have done wonders in this area working with the LEO's.

OPS MARINE

Wow. I never presumed I did it all. I simply wanted to share another positive story because God knows we need them. What is the reason for the snark? I've never disrespected anyone here. Is there a problem with what I did or the way it was presented?

Iopencarry

Ops,

If I came across that way I am sorry. It was not at all what I meant. You just named the areas that our members (here as well as the groups I have named) have worked very hard on. We ALL have "kicked in the door" so to speak for all of the OC's to be able to walk in piece.
Again, If you, or anyone has taken offence by my posts, sorry. It was not meant as any type of criticism.

markm

Hello Ops Marine,

Wow. I never presumed I did it all. I simply wanted to share another positive story because God knows we need them. What is the reason for the snark? I've never disrespected anyone here. Is there a problem with what I did or the way it was presented?

Hey Ops,

I don't know you personally, nor do I know Iopencarry very well. However, I have OCed with Iopencarry, and I can understand why he may have come-off defensive, while not intending to.

There are many who disagree with the strategy and tactics used by the organizations that he belongs to. Their's is a political strategy which is not in alignment with the "so-called" Calguns' legal strategy.

Iopencarry and the groups he belongs to have been chastised and belittled by people who I percieve to be elitists. We need a two pronged approach which includes political action and legal action. That should be our strategy. The highly educated amongst us are very good at being snarky towards people who believe in the political approach.

I respect you both and I am glad that you both post ideas and actions here.

Thanks to both of you!

markm

Gundude

I had an interesting conversation with the manager in my local supermarket. I told him it was obvious I wasn't there to start a gunbattle. I suggested if someone complained about seeing a gun, that he tell them I was an LEO. He asked if I was, and I said no, but it didn't matter. If he told the panty wetter that I was, they would relax, and we could all go about our business.

K

kittyhawk63

I had an interesting conversation with the manager in my local supermarket. I told him it was obvious I wasn't there to start a gunbattle. I suggested if someone complained about seeing a gun, that he tell them I was an LEO. He asked if I was, and I said no, but it didn't matter. If he told the panty wetter that I was, they would relax, and we could all go about our business.

It is against the law identifying yourself as an LEO when you are not. If someone like a manager knows that you are not an LEO but tells a customer that you are, is the manager breaking the law? Anyone have an answer to this? Please cite.

Last edited:

OPS MARINE

Iopencarry, for some reason, I am just now getting this message in my inbox that shows replies to this, so please excuse this late response. I'm not sure there was a reason to apologize, but I fully accept, and now ask for you to do the same because I acted like a hurt child. Perhaps I just read your post incorrectly. I have never had the desire to argue with anyone here, and I'm glad this has been resolved.

MarkBofRAdvocate, thank you for helping to bridge the gap and throwing in a little more of an explanation. I too respect IOpenCarry (I respect you), and just felt like I'd had my bubble popped after what started as a horrible day turned out to be a really good one.

Iopencarry

Accepted Gladly. I have never had a problem with you, and you with me that I know of. You sir, I have the utmost respect for. I honestly did not try to "burst your bubble" at all. Was just letting everyone else know how much work has been done in this area.

You carry every day, as I do, w/o being harassed by law enforcement. We need to be able to thank the people who have helped make this possible.

puppy8agun

I would like to add that group and group affiliation does not matter. Strategy and what CalGuns would like to see and what happens generally differ. It is still a right we have to do what we will do and open carry. I open carry 100 times more than events. In the long run events are good for those who are inexperienced and for those experienced to assist with getting comfortable. I support events as well as day-to-day open carrying.

Mapping can be tricky and people need to learn how to properly map.

I have also open carried with IOpenCarry and he is a good guy and I am sure does not mean to offend anyone.

I open carry daily everywhere I go where it is allowed which is the majority of places I go.

elsensei

Regarding telling store manager to tell panty-wetters that you are a LEO, I don't know about the legality of this so I'm not going to comment other than to say I've found it much more effective to just tell them to tell panty-wetter than you have all the necessary permits.

sykosoft

Interesting. So I have a question:

I'm an Idaho resident, planning to travel down to California some time next week. I typically open carry here (fully loaded), but from what I understand, loaded open carry isn't legal in California, correct?

I'm surprised to see anyone carrying openly in the San Francisco area, is there anything special that needs to be done, or do you just carry there? What about non-residents? (And likely, I'd be bringing my Taurus PT1911SS for carry, which isn't on the "approved" list, does that affect me as I'm only traveling?)

Michael

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
correct Loaded Open Carry is ILLEGAL.

Sorry to interject, but loaded open carry is highly restricted, not illegal.

Loaded open carry is only prohibited areas indicated in 12031- since this includes incorporated city limits and areas where local ordinance prohibits discharge of firearms, it pretty much disqualifies any metropolitan area.

OPS MARINE

Loaded Open Carry is restricted in California mostly to rural areas of a city or county area. There are places I LOC because of this, but due to OPSEC I won't divulge them here. Check the CA Penal Code, or the posted section on this site for more information.