• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wonderful Little OC Encounter

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I had one of my best OC encounters today.

I was eating a late lunch at a fast food restaurant.

Out of nowhere, a young girl, maybe nine or ten years old, walks up to my table. With all the warmth and carefree outgoing-ness of youth, she just asked, "Are you an FBI agent?"

As I replied, "No, I'm just a regular guy", I could see grandma approaching just a few steps away, more kids on each side. Grandma was dressed in traditional Indian (India) clothes. The kids, obviously of similar heritage, wore western dress.

The little girl said her brother wanted to know.

Then her brother, about seven or eight years old, arrived with grandma and asked the same question, "Are you an FBI agent?"

Me: "No, I'm just a regular guy."

Brother: "But, why do you carry the gun?"

Me, "To protect myself from badguys."

Grandma and the kids were very warm and friendly, but curiously at this point, the brother was straight-faced.

Then sister and grandma explained that brother wanted to be an FBI agent when he grew up. Oh! I just ruined his chance to meet one of his heroes. Poor little guy.

Grandma explained there had been some earlier discussion among the kids about whether I was an FBI agent. Finally somebody said, "Just ask him."

We said good-bye and they went on their way. Although the brother was a bit subdued, he did give me a little wave.

Wow.

Imagine. Not only did grandma not grab the kids and run screaming, she actually assented to letting them all come up and actually talk to me.

And this from a country where gun control is rather strict.

And nobody went diving for the windows or had a panic attack once they found I definitely was not LE.

If that anti-self-defense judge in the midwest who ruled OC is likely to cause a disturbance needs a sworn affidavit, I'm happy to supply one.

Last edited:

rottman43055

Good story!

It's amazing that people aren't as freeked out as the anti gunners try to make things out when they are on the news griping about OC.

Good report. Thanks

sudden valley gunner

At first I thought you meant Indian as in Native American, I was going to comment on being part native myself and having many inter-reactions with my family who are native they really respect peoples right to be armed.

Then I realized you meant Indian ( I think) from India. If they are Seik they respect the right to be armed, and actually the guys are supposed to carry a dagger/knife at all times according to their custom and religion.

I work with many India Indians, even the ones I don't know but meet for the first time never express more than an intrigue and then a discussion about can they carry too.

Great post though, I love educating the young ones, and I always talk to them, maybe we can ward off so much of the propaganda they hear in school, when they remember the nice guy with the gun they met at such and such place.

Last edited:

singhcr

Being half Indian myself (father is from India) I've found that most Indians are receptive and curious about gun ownership but it is not woven into their culture and identity like it is here.

On a related note, I did take out a friend of mine from my heat transfer laboratory at school shooting for the first time since he was 4. He's from India and is most definately a fan of the 2A.

SavageOne

Being half Indian myself (father is from India) I've found that most Indians are receptive and curious about gun ownership but it is not woven into their culture and identity like it is here.

On a related note, I did take out a friend of mine from my heat transfer laboratory at school shooting for the first time since he was 4. He's from India and is most definitely a fan of the 2A.

Here's an article about the increasing civilian gun ownership in India.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...mbrace-the-right-to-bear-arms&highlight=india

Always good to see the common man and woman deciding to be responsible for their own safety.

HeroHog

My East Indian/Pakistani? Psychiatrist at the V.A. about had a cow when she read my records and saw that her predecessor had signed off on my CHP Medical form. She claimed not to be Hoplaphobic BUT she freaked out asking if I had a gun, was it with me, was it in my car, where was it and then precedes to tell me she would NEVER sign off that form for ANYONE. Yeah, I'm gonna see about them assigning me another shrink...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Psychiatrist at the V.A. about had a cow when she read my records and saw that her predecessor had signed off on my CHP Medical form. She claimed not to be Hoplaphobic BUT she freaked out asking if I had a gun, was it with me, was it in my car, where was it and then precedes to tell me she would NEVER sign off that form for ANYONE. Yeah, I'm gonna see about them assigning me another shrink...

I guess that says a lot about her mental stability. She freaked out about something she couldn't see, didn't know whether you even had.

It would be one thing to freak out if a gun was brandished or actually pointed at you. This display is something entirely different.

I'm not joking here. Someone whose mental state is such that they freak out at the mere possibility of something like that really shouldn't be in the mental health profession.

After I was clear of their clutches, I would give some serious thought to filing a formal complaint against this person.

merc460

I guess that says a lot about her mental stability. She freaked out about something she couldn't see, didn't know whether you even had.

It would be one thing to freak out if a gun was brandished or actually pointed at you. This display is something entirely different.

I'm not joking here. Someone whose mental state is such that they freak out at the mere possibility of something like that really shouldn't be in the mental health profession.

After I was clear of their clutches, I would give some serious thought to filing a formal complaint against this person.

I would almost bet there is something on file about the encounter by now.

HeroHog

The fact that I requested to have them sign-off on my permit was in there as I expected. One would think that since I had gotten sign-off by the other Doctor that they didn't have any issues with my mental capacity or mind-set.

XD40coyote

My current Dr is a general practicioner, but has alot of knowledge on mental health issues. She has no problem at all that I own guns, despite the meds she prescribes for me. In fact her son is a "gun nut", and has been for a while. I think it was she said that he begged her to buy a .357 when he was 13, so he could target shoot with it. She bought all sorts of guns in fact. The son is at least 18 now and can buy long guns himself now ( except evil rifles- MD law), and she said he was going to the police academy and wanted to be a cop in this county.

Anyway, could you get a better Dr? The wait is always long at appt's, but worth it, as she is wonderful. The long waits are due to her wanting patients to be open and ask stuff, or describe things in detail, plus just socializing. Like one time we talked about situational awareness and right to carry. I've mentioned OC to her too, then have her mention her son and his " PA gun buddies" LOL. Of course I always wonder if she keeps a gun handy in the office in case one of the psych patients goes off the deep end. Maybe she has a Keltec in her pocket? ( On a side note, I once had a medical Dr as a customer who was living in PA at the time, and he told me about some hospital in Potter co PA or something, where a bunch of Dr's carried concealed on the job. This Dr moved to Winchester VA and haven't heard from him since he picked his mount up.)

On the subject of children, I had a 3.5 year old on my lap last saturday at a restaurant in PA, while I was OCing- oh the horror! He never noticed the gun, nor did anyone else, except for a chef who got all excited and was loving that I was carrying. Earlier that evening I was at a small OC meet and eat in a nearby town, and walked past a group of preteens to go to and from the bathroom, and I don't think any of them even noticed. The downer was that the local cops who don't like OC, never showed up to have dinner with us LMAO. I guess they heard about civil rights violation lawsuits and didn't want to tangle with a group of OCers.